Board logo

Erw Round steel chassis help please
pocket rocket - 9/4/11 at 12:08 PM

Hey guys,

I'm currently planning to make my own chassis from round steel... Much like the rocket, warner R4 etc etc but there are a couple of things I'm not sure of...

Where is the best place to buy the steel I need and how much I'm I likely to pay???

I'm going to get a tube bender but what sort of presure do I need... Would a 12 ton press do?

And lastly what's the best way to notch the tubes, will I need a tube notched or is there a little known locost way???

All help is greatly received :-)

Phil

trikerneil - 9/4/11 at 12:26 PM

Make sure you buy a tube bender NOT a pipe bender, my tube bender has a 10 ton jack in it, bends 1-1/4 OD 1/8 wall OK.

I use a holesaw, hacksaw, grinder, and files, whatever suits really.

HTH

Neil

rusty nuts - 9/4/11 at 12:32 PM

Google Tubemitre for a way to notch the tubes, it may be worth a search on here?

Mr Whippy - 9/4/11 at 12:38 PM

you seen this? wish I'd though of it!

linky

Minicooper - 9/4/11 at 01:34 PM

If your looking to do a atom/warner t4/MEV clone, you need a three ring roller for the long gentle shaped chassis tubes, something like this

http://www.stakesys.co.uk/product/pro_tools_roll_bender/

Cheers
David

coozer - 9/4/11 at 02:05 PM

Theres a pipe notcher in the Frost catalogue, can't find it on the webby though.

May be worth the investment if your doing lots of joins/angles etc.

SeaBass - 9/4/11 at 03:08 PM

I cannot see where the £1250 is in that tool. You could fabricate a properly laser cut one for £250.

quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
If your looking to do a atom/warner t4/MEV clone, you need a three ring roller for the long gentle shaped chassis tubes, something like this

Cheers
David

Minicooper - 9/4/11 at 03:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SeaBass
I cannot see where the £1250 is in that tool. You could fabricate a properly laser cut one for £250.

quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper

Cheers
David

It just happened to be the first picture I found of the correct tool for the job, for a one off I would get a company to roll them

Cheers
David

pocket rocket - 9/4/11 at 07:27 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info so far... I was going for a 'locost' Exo car but maybe that's not going to be possible with the tools needed :-/

What sort of bends to sand rails have??? Could you build one of those with just a bender?

oadamo - 16/4/11 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pocket rocket
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the info so far... I was going for a 'locost' Exo car but maybe that's not going to be possible with the tools needed :-/

What sort of bends to sand rails have??? Could you build one of those with just a bender?

iam doing a similar thing at the moment, if you have the sizes of all the tubes you want bending pop down to mine one weekend with the tube and i will bend it all up for you. i have a mandral bender so you will get nice bends. just think guinea pig
adam