Board logo

New project chassis questions
speedyxjs - 16/2/15 at 08:12 AM

Hi all,

As some of you know, i was in the middle of building a Ford V6 trike and was hoping i would be posting pictures of it nearly finished around now. The project hit a snag when a woman overtaking on the wrong side of the road hit my 205 head on with an impact speed of about 80mph.

The fact i was cut out makes it look much worse. I have now nearly recovered but the wife and my parents have asked me to not carry on with the trike.

What i had completed has now sold and i am moving back to four wheels for my next project (which i plan on actually finishing this time!).

After watching the corvette kart episode on roadkill, i have been thinking about doing a similar thing but on a smaller scale. I have been looking at Suzuki Jimny's and Vitara's and planning to remove the body and have a full cage made up. As i would be keeping the chassis, engine and drivetrain, no need for IVA. I have now been offered a Daihatsu Hijet but from what i can find, the front end is part of the chassis.

I think i am right in thinking if i cut the front end off, that would mean it would need an IVA to go back on the road?

Thought id check before going ahead and buying it

joneh - 16/2/15 at 09:18 AM

As I understand it, if you modify the chassis you'll need an IVA.

On another not, unless you add a full cage getting hit at 80mph in that isn't going to be too much different than on a trike!

speedyxjs - 16/2/15 at 09:35 AM

I know, it didn't bother me too much. I think their issue was rather than being trapped in the car i would have been lying on the road 50 feet from the collision

tegwin - 16/2/15 at 09:36 AM

Hmm, forward control.... sitting there you ARE the crumple zone.

I guess it depends what you want to do with the finished vehicle. As , sadly, you found out, it just takes one iditiot to ruin your day

speedyxjs - 16/2/15 at 09:38 AM

I was going to move the seating position back behind the engine and the whole car would be a cage.

Kinda like this but not half as cool

tegwin - 16/2/15 at 01:46 PM

Wouldn't you be better off with a donor that is a little more.... um.. sporty to start with?

Can you find a TVR chassis kicking about somewhere? Could stick any engine you like in that... Including an electric one...

speedyxjs - 16/2/15 at 09:58 PM

TVR chassis would be cool but probably too expensive. I think with one of the above i could buy one and sell the doors, wings and lights and get most if not all my money back.

James - 18/2/15 at 06:23 PM

That Lingenfelter C7 engine noise... I need that in my life!!!

ettore bugatti - 18/2/15 at 10:25 PM

Look if you can find the chop shop episode where they did the congestion buster. It will cure your ideas straight away.
Particulary the steering was tricky to solve.

Is a MEV Exocet not closer to Corvette Kart?

Ugg10 - 18/2/15 at 10:45 PM

Not sure if they are still about but ncf or possibly blitz did suzuki vitara and sj buggies, may be worth a Google. If you want something cheaper with a bit more grunt they also did a discovery version iirc.

Edit - just checked all under the blitzworld banner now.

[Edited on 18/2/15 by Ugg10]

ettore bugatti - 19/2/15 at 07:14 PM

Excellent donors could be a Discovery or a Scimitar.