Board logo

mot woes
andy188 - 21/4/13 at 02:54 PM

Hi,

need some advise my kitcar due its first mot, have taken it to local garage,
they say need to test emmisions to 2009 spec, as that was the registation date,
did i have the weight of the vehicle for the brake test,
they suggested i bring in my sva paperwork for them to review,

after looking at various threads on here, not sure where i stand.

have dug out my logbook, in notes section it says emmisions limit -%CO 3.5, HC 0.12

at sva test i had a cvh in her, now a zetec on bike carbs.

Thanks for your advise.

andy

emwmarine - 21/4/13 at 03:20 PM

Go somewhere else so you don't get into an argment. Take your v5 with the emissions note to a new place and just tell them the weight, or stamp it on the chassis.

rusty nuts - 21/4/13 at 03:30 PM

Any MOT test center should have a Tapley meter which should be used when brake weights are not known, it's not only for testing 4x4s. If the car is on a Q plate tell them to RTFM, it should be treated as a 1971 vehicle

twybrow - 21/4/13 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Any MOT test center should have a Tapley meter which should be used when brake weights are not known, it's not only for testing 4x4s. If the car is on a Q plate tell them to RTFM, it should be treated as a 1971 vehicle

RTFM??? What does that mean?

I am in a similar situation - first MOT due and booked for next week. Car is on a Q plate, and therefore I believe it should be visible smoke only, but not sure what to quote as proof of that!

andy188 - 21/4/13 at 03:44 PM

Hi guys,

car not on a Q plate, got age related.

its the emissions i am worried about, have heard bike carbs on zetec not good for modern day mots;

jacko - 21/4/13 at 03:59 PM

Take it to a weight bridge and get a ticket to show the MOT station

rusty nuts - 21/4/13 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

RTFM??? What does that mean?

I am in a similar situation - first MOT due and booked for next week. Car is on a Q plate, and therefore I believe it should be visible smoke only, but not sure what to quote as proof of that!

RTFM Read The F-----g Manual

mccsp - 21/4/13 at 06:32 PM

Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know a Kitcar friendly Mot station in or near Peterborough?
I have installed a screen and wipers since sva. I too have my first not since sva, do I need washer jets and or demister? If so I will prob remove the screen!

robinj66 - 21/4/13 at 07:29 PM

Andy - your car should be tested to the emissions set down on your V5 - that's the point of them being put on there! MOT tester should know that!! Best find a more kit-friendly garage

ashg - 21/4/13 at 07:51 PM

its a bit of a run but snodhurst garage in kent is where i take mine for an mot. farther and son 's garage and the cherry on the cake is that the farther and one of the sons both own a couple of kitcars. so basically they know what they are looking at when it comes to mot'ing them

http://www.yell.com/b/Snodhurst+Service+Station-Garage+Services-chatham-ME50TB-769830/

rusty nuts - 21/4/13 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mccsp
Sorry to hijack, but does anyone know a Kitcar friendly Mot station in or near Peterborough?
I have installed a screen and wipers since sva. I too have my first not since sva, do I need washer jets and or demister? If so I will prob remove the screen!

You don't need demisters for an MOT at the moment, but that could change you do however need washers

Stott - 21/4/13 at 08:01 PM

Where is the emissions specified then? My V5 is blank next to the emissions bit and there are no other notes on there.

It's reg'd 12/12/12 on a D (1986 engine)

Is this right?

andy188 - 21/4/13 at 08:09 PM

hi,

front page, part 3, special notes.

andy

Stott - 21/4/13 at 08:27 PM

Mine says 1. Rebuilt - assembled from parts some or all of which were not new

is this the right note?

owelly - 21/4/13 at 08:36 PM

I may know a friendly MOT guy near Leicester if that's any good? I'll have to check with him (as well as check exactl where he works!).