Board logo

IVA preperation pictures...
furryeggs - 13/2/18 at 09:06 PM

My IVA paperworks now gone off and hopefully with the right people. I've tried calling but the women said she couldn't check the system because it was monday? so I'll have to try again at the end of the week. Great start...

There will be a lot of pictures over the next week or two so please feel free to comment.

Rear light's fitted and clipped in place...
[img][/img]

I do need to bond the bases onto the wings, at the minute they are just stuck with pads...
[img][/img]

Indicator extensions, these bring them out to pretty much bang on 40cm from the widest part. (the rear arches)
[img][/img]

Edge trim around the filter cut out and bonnet catches... the catches were supplied by tiger and I was told they pass without covers???
[img][/img]

More edging around the bonnet cut out and airo-screen...
[img][/img]

Trim on the rear lights...
[img][/img]

Hopefully my spacings and hights are ok, they should be as I'm well over the minimum required hieghts...
[img][/img]

Tow strap fitted with a 12.9 bolts, I've held it up out of the way with a cable tie, is this ok?..
[img][/img]

Seat edging and harnesses...
[img][/img]

Seat belt mounts and caps...
[img][/img]

Handbrake adjustment...
[img][/img]

Tunnel wiring, the main loom is clipped in place with a loom tape wrapped wire for my fuel pump switch cable tied to it. Is this going to need further wrapping?...
[img][/img]

My ignition barrel is exposed, what can i cover this with? I was thinking maybe a rubber cap or something...
[img][/img]

Engine bay...
[img][/img]

Fuel line...
[img][/img]

Fuel pipe markings...
[img][/img]

Battery and cabling...
[img][/img]

All advise is appreciated.

Andybarbet - 13/2/18 at 09:14 PM

Looks really tidy, gives me something to aim for on my build - good luck with the IVA

CosKev3 - 13/2/18 at 09:17 PM

Looks tidy

I think I would leave the tow strap off for IVA,as it's not required.

Is your rear fog light vertical?

Also I'm not sure on the bonnet catches,what are the radius on them?

[Edited on 13/2/18 by CosKev3]

craigdiver - 13/2/18 at 09:18 PM

Car looks fantastic, can’t advise on much but I have been advised by my glassfibre guy that the nylon cable tie bases can be stuck on very securely with a hot glue gun. Also, i’m looking for exactly the things with two allen grub screws for locking the handbrake cables that you have, where did you get them?

furryeggs - 13/2/18 at 09:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
Car looks fantastic, can’t advise on much but I have been advised by my glassfibre guy that the nylon cable tie bases can be stuck on very securely with a hot glue gun. Also, i’m looking for exactly the things with two allen grub screws for locking the handbrake cables that you have, where did you get them?

I think I have 2spare in my box, I’ll check tomorrow.

furryeggs - 13/2/18 at 09:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Looks tidy

I think I would leave the tow strap off for IVA,as it's not required.

Is your rear fog light vertical?

Also I'm not sure on the bonnet catches,what are the radius on them?

[Edited on 13/2/18 by CosKev3]

- I’ll remove the strap...
- Think I might put some foam/rubber under the top edge of the fog to bring it closer to verticle, It’s not far off at the minute.
- The catches are radiused along the main body, but bits of the definitely aren’t rounded. I’m going to try and find a cover for them.

CTLeeds - 13/2/18 at 10:05 PM

I'm at pretty much the same stage as you. Yours looks very smart.

I think I'd use some proper pipe clips rather than cable ties on the fuel pipe. The pipes could be seen as rubbing together?

As long as your ignition terminals are properly insulated then there shouldn't be a problem(don't quote me on that though). I'd suggest unsoldering the wires, put a couple of layers of heat shrink up each of the cables, resolder, put heatshrink in place etc.

Where are your side repeaters located?

Chris

kingster996 - 13/2/18 at 10:50 PM

Looks good.

Check that the harnesses are horizontal between where they bolt in and the seat slots. They can’t be lower at the bolts so as to pull down on seats under tension.

Otherwise, as said, forget the tow strap, just in case.

loggyboy - 13/2/18 at 11:27 PM

Looks very neat.
Mirror above coments on:
-fog (get it bang on square, not just close)
-seatbelts, ensure they aren't pulling on edges of seat.
-bonnet catches. Dont rely on suppliers, be happy/safe that they are right.

Any pictures of front end?

CosKev3 - 14/2/18 at 09:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
Looks good.

Check that the harnesses are horizontal between where they bolt in and the seat slots. They can’t be lower at the bolts so as to pull down on seats under tension.

Oh yeah the harnesses are definitely a failure.

Looks like you will need some longer bolts and spacers to lift them ,if this is allowed?
Or the seats need to be lowered.

And as above,the fog HAS to be vertical

furryeggs - 14/2/18 at 09:53 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
Looks good.

Oh yeah the harnesses are definitely a failure.

Looks like you will need some longer bolts and spacers to lift them ,if this is allowed?
Or the seats need to be lowered.

And as above,the fog HAS to be vertical

Can’t drop the seats any lower as they are all ready bolted directly to the floor rails. I’ll make some spacers at work.

CTLeeds - 14/2/18 at 11:37 AM

With regards to the rear fog light, the manual states...

"9. Fitted so that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear". In my mind this means you can't have it angled to the left or right relative to the rear of the car. Do they also check that it's vertical relative to the floor? The wording is a bit ambiguous in my opinion and currently mine is not vertical. it's square but not vertical... Hmmm

loggyboy - 14/2/18 at 11:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CTLeeds

"9. Fitted so that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear". In my mind this means you can't have it angled to the left or right relative to the rear of the car. Do they also check that it's vertical relative to the floor? The wording is a bit ambiguous in my opinion and currently mine is not vertical. it's square but not vertical... Hmmm

Not ambiguous at all, Square is square! Its in 2 planes, both viewing from above and side. It needs to be at 90degrees to ground when looking from side and is a common failure.

CTLeeds - 14/2/18 at 12:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:

Not ambiguous at all, Square is square! Its in 2 planes, both viewing from above and side. It needs to be at 90degrees to ground when looking from side and is a common failure.

Okay, thanks. That clears that up. I'd better work out a way to make it "square" in two planes. I might just ramp up my front springs and lower the rear for the test...

Bunje - 14/2/18 at 12:41 PM

your car looks great. can i ask where you got the bonnet vents from

furryeggs - 14/2/18 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bunje
your car looks great. can i ask where you got the bonnet vents from

A pen, a ruler and a dremil ... I cut a hole in the bonnet and bonded a piece of grill mesh behind it. cost about £3
cheers

Bunje - 14/2/18 at 01:50 PM

where did you buy the grill mesh from looks exactly what im looking for

Christof - 14/2/18 at 02:37 PM

I'd say if in doubt, take a back up plan. They'll probably let you tweak a few things.
milliput, sugru, bits of rubber - always useful
as for sharp edges, find a ball that gives you the correct radius etc

if you fail you will at least have a definitive list of items to remedy at a modest additional cost relative to the initial fee

furryeggs - 14/2/18 at 02:41 PM

Just spoken to the DVLA and they have now recieved my paperwork and are currently working their way trough the application...

David Jenkins - 14/2/18 at 03:46 PM

Looking at the first picture - I nearly failed my SVA because of those cable tie bases. They WILL look at those with a suspicious eye and you have to prove that your fixing method is up to the task, otherwise they'll fail them out of hand. They might just fail them anyway, out of habit...

Luckily I was able to tie the cables to a couple of chassis tubes.

furryeggs - 14/2/18 at 04:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Looking at the first picture - I nearly failed my SVA because of those cable tie bases. They WILL look at those with a suspicious eye and you have to prove that your fixing method is up to the task, otherwise they'll fail them out of hand. They might just fail them anyway, out of habit...

I’ve not got anything to tie them to. I’m not drilling holes in my wings to secure them... I’ll epoxy them to the underside and hope for the best.
Surely at some point “where practicable” will have to be incorporated into the IVA???

zx12r dug - 14/2/18 at 05:48 PM

Hi I can't see really from the picture inside of your rear arch if there are any threads sticking through the nylock nuts holding your lights on but looks like there's plenty of thread on the reverse light tester might not pick up on but you might get a fussy one.Wiring looks neat but would of looked much neater in conduit.Good luck on your test be on the road just in time for the better weather

ttalps2000 - 14/2/18 at 06:04 PM

i failed on ALL of the indicator NOT being in the 400mm limit from the widest point. However on my retest they measured nothing and was a different inspector with a completely different attitude!

The seat belts through the seats - i never put any trim in mine and they never mentioned it at all

Good luck on the test, it looks very well built and they like that and will be less harsh!

craigdiver - 14/2/18 at 07:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
quote:

Sorry for being a pain, did you get a chance to see if you had any or remember where you got them?

Cheers

Craig

Irony - 14/2/18 at 09:13 PM

Bonnet catches - I think will fail the radius test
Bolts hold roll cage - radius test
Where is your ID plate thingy.
Where is your vin stamped. How is it stamped.

Show us the dash, and the front suspension.

Looks really tidy!!

Irony - 14/2/18 at 09:25 PM

Fog lights. Fogs lights are meant to be square towards the rear. This means a 90 degrees to the floor. A fog lamp is more or less designed to shine onto the road. Its to illuminate where the car is and not where your going/been. If you angle the fog up slightly it defeats the object. This is what my IVA man said anyway - I asked him.

CTLeeds - 14/2/18 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Fog lights. Fogs lights are meant to be square towards the rear. This means a 90 degrees to the floor. A fog lamp is more or less designed to shine onto the road. Its to illuminate where the car is and not where your going/been. If you angle the fog up slightly it defeats the object. This is what my IVA man said anyway - I asked him.

I'm not doubting what you quote from the IVA inspector but surely it's for other motorists to see you in fog not to illuminate the road behind the car? Anyway the rules is the rules, even if they are stupid.

David Jenkins - 14/2/18 at 10:10 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins

I’ve not got anything to tie them to. I’m not drilling holes in my wings to secure them... I’ll epoxy them to the underside and hope for the best.
Surely at some point “where practicable” will have to be incorporated into the IVA???

You may find their response is "there's a problem - fix it or you fail". What they really dislike are the bases that are held on with a sticky pad, which will fail fairly rapidly. Your job will be to prove that your solution is good enough. If your cable tie bases can be epoxied then that should be fine, but try one out on a bit of spare fibreglass if you can. Epoxy won't stick to some plastics. If you can prove to yourself that it works, keep your test piece to show to the tester - tell him that it's an example of the way the bases are fixed. Hint: roughen the gluing surface with coarse sandpaper, and also the fibreglass - the f/glass may have a slippery stick-resistant coating, and the same for the base. Also, let a bit of the glue squeeze out at the side of the base, to prove that it's there when he looks.

Irony - 15/2/18 at 01:27 PM

Before I went for my IVA had was very dubious about the rules and regs. But when the IVA inspector took the time to explain the more eccentric regulations they made absolute sense to me. Some regulations don't make sense on some cars however and people become frustrated.

jps - 15/2/18 at 04:11 PM

Could you not rotate those rear lights so the cables come out 90deg clockwise of where they do currently? Could remove the need for the bases altogether?

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

furryeggs - 15/2/18 at 04:12 PM

I'll get the bases sorted tomorrow along with a few other bits and spacers for the seat belt mounts.

I'll get more Pictures up as well.

furryeggs - 15/2/18 at 05:24 PM

I could but they’d flap around a little, the only place to secusre them would be to cable tie them around the bottom of the role cage???

furryeggs - 15/2/18 at 08:46 PM

Just a couple more pictures...

I haven't fixed it in place yet but this is where I'm mounting the ID plate for IVA. The chassis vin is stamped on the rail infront of the brake reservoir.

[img][/img]

And a few of the front suspension, there's a few nut covers left to fit once my trackings sorted and I do need to adjust the brake lines as they're getting close to the bottom wishbone...

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I also need to work out how to radius/protect my wingmirror brackets. I'm thinking some edge trim held in place with heat shrink the the mirror bolted up.

[img][/img]

Busy day tomorrow in the garage so I should get the majority of stuff finished.

CTLeeds - 15/2/18 at 09:05 PM

Hi, You've probably seen this on the web...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-t o-get-a-pass

I'm concerned with your VIN plate not being as required. Have a look in section 7.

Chris

furryeggs - 15/2/18 at 09:57 PM

quote:
Hi, You've probably seen this on the web...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-to-get-a-pass/individual-vehicle-approval-iva-for-cars-help-t o-get-a-pass

I'm concerned with your VIN plate not being as required. Have a look in section 7.

Chris

I have it printed off...

This is were it all gets confusing, as peoples opinions are all different. Tigers own IVA plate is multi coloured, has website and telephone numbers on it and only model and the vin on it... which I read going by IVA "help to get a pass" site has to much infomation on and not in a clearly defined box. My plate has only the infomation on that is said to be ok, there is no other infomation on the plate and is clearly read. It's just got black around the text.

Make
Vin
GVW
Axle 1
Axle 2

CosKev3 - 16/2/18 at 08:43 AM

Can't you drill and tap the roll cage to fit the mirrors?

furryeggs - 16/2/18 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Can't you drill and tap the roll cage to fit the mirrors?

I’m not keen on drilling the cage before IVA, If I have to move the mirrors for any reason I’ll be left with holes to sort out.

furryeggs - 17/2/18 at 09:09 PM

I've ordered longer bolts for the rear lights so I can P-clip the wires up out the way without using stick on bases. I was meant to be doing it on friday but I had to sort out space in the garage for a impending visitor

I did get my mirror mounts sorted out, with radiused and blunted edges so hopefully should be good... just need to mount and adjust the side mirrors.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

furryeggs - 18/2/18 at 08:47 PM

Mirror's now attached with the new brackets. They are anodised black with a blunted edge hopefully they'll be ok, I'll take a small file and a pot of umbrol with me just incase I have to radius them more?

Rear view from the drivers seat.
[img][/img]

the completed rear view bracket.
[img][/img]

Drivers side mirror view.
[img][/img]

And finished bracket.
[img][/img]

All 3 mirror's inplace.
[img][/img]

My pedal's, can't see any issues here?

nelmo - 18/2/18 at 10:22 PM

Looks like a great build - much better than mine and I passed in August!

My tuppence:

1. Seat harnesses are fine if they don't touch the seat while you're in the car - yours look like that will be the case unless you're very short.
2. Cover those ignition wires with something - even just a sheet of foam.
3. My tester didn't even look inside my tunnel but are your brake lines p-clipped to the side every 150mm (assuming you've got the loom and fuel lines cable tied to them)?
4. That front brake line is a fail - mine was the same and I failed on it because that loop tightens when on full lock (pig tail he called it).
5. There is nothing specific in the manual about those wires in the rear arch - yours look excellent, I would leave them alone.
6. Rear view mirror is nice but dont get paranoid about the view out - doesn't matter if you can only see sky (like mine did) , it just has to physically exist. I just had a cheap one 3M'd to the scuttle.
7. The VIN plate only has to have the VIN number and car manufacturers name on it (not sure what that is for you). Mine was a piece of ally, stamped by me with a cheap stamp set. You dont need any weights on it, just has to be clear to read.

Good luck.

[Edited on 18/2/18 by nelmo]

furryeggs - 18/2/18 at 10:47 PM

Cheers, I’m trying to keep it as neat as possible.

-Harnesses don’t touch the seat when I’m in it, I have some 12mm spacers and longer bolts just incase
-The front brake lines do need adjusting, they are pretty long so I need to do something with them.
-I’ve made up a cap out of some waterproof plastic and rubber light tube gromets. should do the trick.
-wiring, fuel lines and brakes are all p-clipped every 120mm, I went a bit mad.
-I have plenty off ally and stamps so I’ll do my own then.

quote:
Originally posted by nelmo

My tuppence:

1. Seat harnesses are fine if they don't touch the seat while you're in the car - yours look like that will be the case unless you're very short.
3. My tester didn't even look inside my tunnel but are your brake lines p-clipped to the side every 150mm (assuming you've got the loom and fuel lines cable tied to them)?
4. That front brake line is a fail - mine was the same and I failed on it because that loop tightens when on full lock (pig tail he called it).
5. There is nothing specific in the manual about those wires in the rear arch - yours look excellent, I would leave them alone.
6. Rear view mirror is nice but dont get paranoid about the view out - doesn't matter if you can only see sky (like mine did) , it just has to physically exist. I just had a cheap one 3M'd to the scuttle.
7. The VIN plate only has to have the VIN number and car manufacturers name on it (not sure what that is for you). Mine was a piece of ally, stamped by me with a cheap stamp set. You dont need any weights on it, just has to be clear to read.

Good luck.

CosKev3 - 18/2/18 at 11:16 PM

quote:

My tuppence:

Good luck.

Are you sure on number 1?

What happens if you sell the car to someone shorter than yourself?

I'm pretty sure the harnresss have to be able to run parallel from the mounting point without touching the seat?

nelmo - 19/2/18 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Are you sure on number 1?

What happens if you sell the car to someone shorter than yourself?

I'm pretty sure the harnresss have to be able to run parallel from the mounting point without touching the seat?

This is what the IVA manual says:

'Check that whilst sitting in each seat in turn, and wearing the seat belt,
secured and correctly adjusted, that the position of the webbing on the
torso and the location of the effective belt anchorage points in relation
to the seated body position are correct.'

Note the bit that says, 'while sitting in the seat'.

But it does admittedly also say this, which doesn't help IMO:

Note 10: The effective belt anchorage is the actual anchorage point to the vehicle unless a change of direction of the belt to the wearer is produced by
a fixed intermediate device, for example, a belt guide fitted to the upper part of a seat back.
Note 11: Where a seat incorporates a belt guide that creates the “effective belt anchorage” consideration must be given to the strength of the seat back
in relation to the loading to which it may be subject, (this being dependent on the position of the actual anchorage). The requirements Section 19 RS 3
should be applied to the effective anchorage location.

All I can tell you is that my harnesses were the same as the OP and I had no problems in my test.

iant88 - 19/2/18 at 11:34 AM

. Also, i’m looking for exactly the things with two allen grub screws for locking the handbrake cables that you have, where did you get them?

Sorry for being a pain, did you get a chance to see if you had any or remember where you got them?

Cheers

Craig

The connectors are used in Karting. Try Dartford karting or Spellfame.

furryeggs - 20/2/18 at 04:19 AM

My new IVA happy plate. hopefully I'm all good with this now.
[img][/img]

Spacers made up to lift my harnesses to a better level. I checked earlier and although they don't touch when I'm in the seat it is close.
[img][/img]

Will I need to cover every nut on the front I have a few left t sort out but do the brake calliper bolts need covering too...
[img][/img]

And will these edges need trimming, they have a radius as they were sanded smooth before paint so they have several layers of paint and clear coat added to it...
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

And another edge in the rear wheel well?
[img][/img]

thanks for all your help. Still not heard anything back from the DVLA/IVA yet. They confirmed receipt of the paperwork last Wednesday and said it was being looked at.

jps - 20/2/18 at 09:39 AM

quote:
And another edge in the rear wheel well?
[img][/img]

Isn't the edge / radius requirement only applicable when you can get the sphere into it? Outside looks radiused enough to me - and there's no way anyones getting in to actual 'edge' of the fibreglass

CosKev3 - 20/2/18 at 09:52 AM

I think those bolts on calipers will need nut covers on them as they look to be accessible with the sphere?

If that area of caliper is accessible I would think the split pins holding pads in might need something too?

If you've got some trim handy I would trim the bonnet too

furryeggs - 22/2/18 at 08:34 PM

I called about my application yesterday and am feeling a little confused/annoyed. I’ve been told my paperwork has been returned as i didn’t send a copy of my IVA pass certificate with it. I explained that it was an application for the IVA test so didn’t yet have a pass certificate. The guy on the phine sounded confused, said a letter explaining what to do will be in with the returned paperwork and hung up.

I sent ...
IVA application form with VIN
Amateur build decleration
Photo’s
and receipts

am i missing something or are they taking the piss?

CTLeeds - 22/2/18 at 08:58 PM

Sounds right to me. That's exactly what i'll be sending.

furryeggs - 23/2/18 at 11:08 AM

Now I know they are taking the piss, I’ve had the paperwork back today from the DVSA with a letter saying I sent it to the wrong address. They have then asked me to send it back to the address I sent it to in the first place, and it took them 10 days to do it.

ttalps2000 - 23/2/18 at 12:20 PM

I did all of mine online and had a date set and paid within 72 hours.

furryeggs - 23/2/18 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
I did all of mine online and had a date set and paid within 72 hours.

I tried online but everytime I tried uploading documents it kept saying file size to big. So snail mail you it is
what was the waiting time for the test from the day you paid?

furryeggs - 2/3/18 at 08:32 PM

Few more Pictures for IVA prep... Still not anything back from returning the paperwork to the DVSA but in weather I'm not expecting it any time soon

Covered Ignition wiring and upper steering column...
[img][/img]

Made some bonnet catch covers...
[img][/img]

Fitted my seat belt spacers...
[img][/img]

furryeggs - 7/3/18 at 03:12 PM

IVA booked in for 3rd of april at Nottingham. Hopefully Theres enough time to finish off the little bits.

CTLeeds - 7/3/18 at 03:47 PM

Good news. Did you get to choose the date or do you have to go with what's offered?

Chris

furryeggs - 7/3/18 at 04:03 PM

Had a choice, could of had it on the 23/3 but that wouldn’t of been enough time to tidy up.

furryeggs - 8/3/18 at 02:19 AM

just a few more pictures...

Nut covers on everything...
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

chassis plate...
[img][/img]

Exhaust tip & complete exhaust
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

fog light re aligned...
[img][/img]

Steering wheel and pad, I have a cover for this for IVA...
[img][/img]

Bonnet catches and edge trim covering everything...
[img][/img]

theduck - 8/3/18 at 09:24 AM

They dont like those stick on cable tie mounts at iVA and insist if being used they are held in with a rivet.

nick205 - 8/3/18 at 11:01 AM

Looks a good build

My only comment/observation was the bonnet catches, but you appear to have covered them now so should be OK on those.

Best of luck with the IVA.

It was SVA when I did it some years ago. My inspector was good and very fair on his assessment. A couple of minor fails, but easily sorted and passed the retest no worries. Getting the plates on and taking to the road was certainly a buzz

jester - 8/3/18 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theduck
They dont like those stick on cable tie mounts at iVA and insist if being used they are held in with a rivet.

I am working on mine still for the IVA test. That's what the garage that was working on my car years back ( lost my Garage to work on the build myself ) used as well before I got it back (They charged way to much for what was done Plus I have a new garage now ) How else can you fix them them as it's on the body tub I don't what rivet's showing on the outside of the body tub

jester - 8/3/18 at 12:11 PM

quote:
just a few more pictures...

Nut covers on everything...
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

chassis plate...
[img][/img]

Exhaust tip & complete exhaust
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

fog light re aligned...
[img][/img]

Steering wheel and pad, I have a cover for this for IVA...
[img][/img]

Bonnet catches and edge trim covering everything...
[img][/img]

Nice one on the test day

Sorry for the post I Hijack above

craigdiver - 8/3/18 at 04:20 PM

Looking great, how are you feeling about the IVA? (excited or s#!tting yourself!)

furryeggs - 8/3/18 at 04:45 PM

quote:
Looking great, how are you feeling about the IVA? (excited or s#!tting yourself!)

A bit of both, I just want to get it done and out the way. I really need a first time pass if I’m going to make stoneliegh in it...

craigdiver - 8/3/18 at 04:53 PM

quote:
quote:

A bit of both, I just want to get it done and out the way. I really need a first time pass if I’m going to make stoneliegh in it...

your build looks really neat and you are you asking the experienced for advice on possible IVA issues, I doubt you will have any problems with the IVA. If anything the DVLA registration process might be the stumbling block.

Very best of luck for the IVA and hopefully see you at stoneleigh with your freshly registered car.

Daf - 8/3/18 at 05:03 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

your build looks really neat and you are you asking the experienced for advice on possible IVA issues, I doubt you will have any problems with the IVA. If anything the DVLA registration process might be the stumbling block.

Very best of luck for the IVA and hopefully see you at stoneleigh with your freshly registered car.

+1 Car looks really neat and this is bound to go a long way with the inspector. IVA isn't actually as bad as everyone makes out - if you've read the manual and followed the advice on here then you should be fine. The inspectors (in my experience) want you to pass too and are quite helpful. The only stumbling blocks I had were things I couldn't test at home (brake balance and emissions) and a couple of little trim things I could fix there and then.

Took 5 weeks for my reg docs to come through, so with luck you might make Stonleigh

mikeb - 9/3/18 at 04:55 PM

Looks great, I'm prepping for my IVA start of April, worried there is so much that it could fail on. Emission and noise are my worry, I had the decibel meter app and it was bang on 99db average so no idea!

Question as I have same issue, will your exhaust silencer pass on the forward edge radius, just before it goes into the exhaust wrap?

Good luck!

[Edited on 9/3/18 by mikeb]

furryeggs - 9/3/18 at 08:47 PM

Got a coiple of questions...

1: I have a 1 or 2 nut covers that are a loose fit, am I allowed to stick them down with something(silicon etc)
2: I have a very slight amount of play on my steering column where it passes through the triangular bush... can i shim it?
3: My fuel tank vent pipe is cable tied to my rollcage rear leg and hangs down to just below the rear tub. does this have to be secured with clips and how much should I leave hanging

Daf - 9/3/18 at 09:11 PM

They sometimes ask you to pop the nut covers off to check how much thread is showing through the nylocity, I used some bluetac inside them so they could come off easily but not fall off.

They see cable ties as temporary so I'd go with clipping them, have you got a breather roll over valve? My breather goes up about 6 inches above the tank and stops there.

Shouldn't be an issue with shimming your steering shaft, mine is powder coated and is damn tight in the bush.

[Edited on 9/3/18 by Daf]

furryeggs - 9/3/18 at 09:23 PM

Yes I’ve got a roll over vent, comes vertically out the tank then fuwl hise running down and out the bottom of the car.

furryeggs - 13/3/18 at 01:15 PM

Is stearing angle checked at all on IVA, I’ve been moving the garage around today and I have drift car level of steering angle, nothing touches or rubs anywhere. I can fit some bumpstops onto the steering rack now befor the tracking gets done next week if needed.

mikeb - 20/3/18 at 09:43 AM

Just realised we have our IVA on the sames day. two weeks today!
I'm not confident on a first time pass but fingers crossed!

furryeggs - 20/3/18 at 11:16 AM

I’m going all out first time pass???? anything and everything is getting covered, trimed, radiused, torqued, wrapped and clipped.

fingeres crossed we’ll both be passing.

mikeb - 20/3/18 at 11:44 AM

I'm going to be so close on noise, and no idea on emissions as running carbs.
Everything else should be good!
If I pass maybe I'll get to stoneleigh!

furryeggs - 22/3/18 at 04:43 PM

I seem to be running out of time to get done the little jobs done befor the IVA.

I've removed the sticky pads from the rear lights, added longer bolts and p-clipped the wiring to them.
[img][/img]

Tidied up the foot weels and added carpet under the dash.
[img][/img]

Edge trimmed around the exhaust.
[img][/img]

Brake resevoir marked up.
[img][/img]

And had my front hoses shortened to loose the pig tail. Hopefully these should be ok??? nothing catches on either lock. I have added some fuel hose as protection to where I'm going to cable tie it to the bottom wishbone.
[img][/img]

More to come asap

Daf - 22/3/18 at 07:48 PM

I'm not sure what the IVA inspector will think about the brake hoses cable tied to the wishbone, they won't see this as a permeant fixing and may have an issue with it? Don't quote me this is just my suspicion .

furryeggs - 22/3/18 at 08:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
I'm not sure what the IVA inspector will think about the brake hoses cable tied to the wishbone, they won't see this as a permeant fixing and may have an issue with it? Don't quote me this is just my suspicion .

I’ve read on here on more than 1 thread saying it’s what they’ve done and passed. I have plenty of hose to cut and wrap it were it might rub?

Daf - 22/3/18 at 08:20 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Daf

I’ve read on here on more than 1 thread saying it’s what they’ve done and passed. I have plenty of hose to cut and wrap it were it might rub?

I stand corrected then - see you in Stonleigh, fingers crossed!

furryeggs - 22/3/18 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Daf

I stand corrected then - see you in Stonleigh, fingers crossed!

It’s all getting confusing, some say put pigtails in the brake line, others say that fails. Others say cable tie it to the wishbones but others say don’t. Shouldn’t IVA be more concerned about having an exposed flexi flapping around in the 80mph wind and potentially getting snagged on something and riped off.

Daf - 22/3/18 at 08:48 PM

You could ring the IVA centre or pop in and ask an inspector?

zx12r dug - 22/3/18 at 09:10 PM

Hi my tester asked me remove all my nut covers I wasn't happy but I guess they have to check you've left sufficient threads through

furryeggs - 22/3/18 at 10:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zx12r dug
Hi my tester asked me remove all my nut covers I wasn't happy but I guess they have to check you've left sufficient threads through

how many threads was he expecting? I have 1 or 2 where the bolt is just passed the nyloc... I have quite fat nuts It’s either remove a washer or get a few new nuts.

Daf - 22/3/18 at 10:11 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by zx12r dug

how many threads was he expecting? I have 1 or 2 where the bolt is just passed the nyloc... I have quite fat nuts It’s either remove a washer or get a few new nuts. [/quote

Should be fine so long as they're not right on the edge, couple of turns was ample on my test.]

Daf - 22/3/18 at 10:17 PM

Just noticed you have an OBP pedal box, one of my fails was on the nyloc on the brake pedal pivot bolt not having enough of the thread through - looks like yours is the same.

You can't get a longer bolt in because the throttle pedal mount is in the way. I used a length of threaded bar, removed the throttle pedal completely and threaded it through the throttle pivot mount and slid it back into the brake pedal pivot and put a nyloc each side.

nelmo - 22/3/18 at 10:37 PM

quote:

It’s all getting confusing, some say put pigtails in the brake line, others say that fails. Others say cable tie it to the wishbones but others say don’t. Shouldn’t IVA be more concerned about having an exposed flexi flapping around in the 80mph wind and potentially getting snagged on something and riped off.

The problem is that the IVA manual is not very explicit and so one tester will take it to mean one thing, another one will see it a different way. We can only tell you of our experiences at the test centre we went to.

Maybe tell us where you are going for IVA and see if anyone has been there recently and can tell you what the tester was like?

furryeggs - 23/3/18 at 06:48 AM

quote:
quote:

Maybe tell us where you are going for IVA and see if anyone has been there recently and can tell you what the tester was like?

It’s at Nottingham.

nelmo - 23/3/18 at 08:08 AM

quote:

It’s at Nottingham.

Is that where GBS take cars for customers? If so, they are really used to kits and know what to look for which is good or bad, depending on your attitude. Good because if you pass there, you know your car has been well checked - bad, because it will be more difficult to pass.

My test was at Yeading near Heathrow - I don't think they had ever seen a kit car before and didn't seem to do half the checks I expected.

Daf - 23/3/18 at 08:50 AM

I'm not too sure how relevant it is when it comes to individual test stations, when talking to my examiner he said they move around the different stations as he was complaining about his hour and a half journey in to work! Presumably this is only relevant to those stations that are in close-ish proximity though?

Just taken a picture of what I did for my brake pivot - picture may be better than the description I gave previously!

[Edited on 23/3/18 by Daf]

furryeggs - 24/3/18 at 09:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Just noticed you have an OBP pedal box, one of my fails was on the nyloc on the brake pedal pivot bolt not having enough of the thread through - looks like yours is the same.

You can't get a longer bolt in because the throttle pedal mount is in the way. I used a length of threaded bar, removed the throttle pedal completely and threaded it through the throttle pivot mount and slid it back into the brake pedal pivot and put a nyloc each side.

It’s only an OBP accelerator. I do need a new bolt for the brake peddle though which is luckily a quick fix.

I have been rolling around the garage floor sorting out ride hieght and bits. The tanks full and with several bags of sand I’ve got it as close to level as possible 5” at the rear and 4.5” at the front. I might have to tweek these a little as I have just about 70mm between the sump and road.

I’ve checked threads as well, on both bottom front whishbones The bolt just pokes its head through the nyloc. So it looks like the washers are coming off the bolt side, this should give me almost 2 threads showing.

I’ve also driven/measured a mile from the drive way. I need 2 miles to calibrate my speedo so I’m off on an early morning stealth mission there and back tomorrow to get that done.

nelmo - 25/3/18 at 07:01 AM

There are no requirements for ride height at IVA and GBS always advised to just put it as high as possible so you don't hit the bottom of the car as you drive on and off the ramps at the test. Also, during the brake test, they drop the wheels into rollers and if you're too low, you may find that tricky without hitting bodywork. When testing my front brakes, you could just about get a Rizla between the floor and the bottom of my nosecone

furryeggs - 25/3/18 at 12:46 PM

So, after a slightly windy 2 mile drive to set the speedo, it seems to be working... ish at slow speed it reads ok to 10 mph and on smooth sections of road it seems ok, if it gets bumpy the speedo jumps. I think my pick up isn’t always reading the bolt heads do i need to get it adjusted and re calibrated.

I spent an hour or so re bleeding the brakes and they also need looking at as they still seem a little soft. my next issue is thanks to the wife I’m away all week as she arranged a trip, knowing full well my IVA is the day after we get back.

I think I might have to re arrange it as i don’t think i have time to sort the speefo and brakes out. If i do it befote thursday they won’t charge me? hopefully

Daf - 25/3/18 at 12:58 PM

You should be okay, speedo is done on the rollers and if that's bouncing you have big issues!

As for the brakes it's all about percentages, as long as you can lock them up you should be okay. The tester will put it in the rollers and stomp on the pedal till it locks up - everything is then worked backward then from the measurements taken from his foot pressure sensor.

Irony - 26/3/18 at 01:04 PM

Rollers are as smooth as anything at the IVA.

My rear callipers are essentially upside down so the bleed nipple is at the bottom. I have to take them off and turn them the right way up, then bleed them. Then reinstall. Tedious but it works.

furryeggs - 31/3/18 at 04:14 PM

3 days to go and only a few little jobs left...

Front brakes hoses adjusted and turned to stop any contact with wishbones, and some hose fitted over unions (read it on the Westfield site)
[img][/img]

Steering column shimmed and pedals bolts checked and changed.
[img][/img]

I have 4 bolts to change, 1 bit of carpet to fit under the dash, add a bit of ride height to the front and fit I new sensor pick up plate that should stop the speedo jumping.

3 more hours of jobs, after that it's down to the tester... I can do no more.

Collecting the wagon on Monday evening and loading up ready to leave early for the 8 o'clock test.

jps - 31/3/18 at 06:28 PM

Good luck! !

furryeggs - 1/4/18 at 08:27 PM

Almost ready, as ready as i can be at least. Theres a few bits I’m not 100% happy with but I’ll just have to get it over with.

My new pickup seems to be a lot better than relying just a bolt head. I think my jumping/erratic speedo was down to the sensor head being to close to the diff flang so occasionally it would give a false read. My new pickup drops the sensor 4mm lower and gives a nice flat 6mm wide plate to read. I now get a good solid read every rotation, rather than a blip from the previous set up. Just got to drive it again in the morning to calibrate it. Plus a quick re blead of the brakes and that’ll be the lot. If it’s not raining I’ll take a few completed pics and get them posted...

Ian2812 - 1/4/18 at 09:09 PM

Looks like a nice and tidy build.

Hope you pass 1st time! Look forward to the updates on here!

MikeR - 1/4/18 at 10:04 PM

good luck ....

Now where did you get the roll cage mounts for the mirrors (and did they pass)?

furryeggs - 2/4/18 at 03:38 PM

Well thats it... Done, for now.

My 2nd drive this afternoon to re calibrate the new speedo pick up seems to of done the job.
It did feel just a little twitchy so as soon as it's done and on the road It'll be off to GBS or Northampton Motor sport for a full set up and MAP. It could just be me though as It's a 2.4 quick rack with a small 285mm steering wheel so it doesn't take a huge imput to steer. The brakes re bleed ok and seem a lot better too.

There's 2 bits I'm still not sure about that I am unable to rectify in time.

1: RH engine mount bottom bolt through the chassis plate hasn't got a thread showing and without lifting the engine clear and grinding a slight groove in a chassis rail I can't get it any better ( the nut hits the chassis rail just as it pinches tight and won't turn any further).

2: My fuel rail is quite close to the Gear lever extension, it doesn't hit or touch at all but it is close. there's 10 clamps holding it inplace along the tunnel that are a little tight to get to, I've decided to leave as is and hope it doesn't get pulled up.

Other than that I can't see any more issues I've missed, allthough I'm sure there are a few...

And here are the pictures... Finished

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I'm now off to collect the transporter ready for the morning.

gremlin1234 - 2/4/18 at 05:44 PM

looks nice

make sure you have a roll of self amalgamating tape with you, you may still need it for edges. - in particular the lambda sensor, and mirror mounts.

I hope you don't get too wet, forecast of thunderstorms, and possible flooding in places. near nottingham

good luck!

40inches - 2/4/18 at 05:52 PM

Good Luck. If you are going to Nottingham they will do everything they can to get you through. I altered a few things in the car park
after the test to get a pass. Including fitting rubber edge trim to the silencer They waited until it had cooled down , then gave me the certificate.
Description
Description

[Edited on 2-4-18 by 40inches]

furryeggs - 8/5/18 at 08:14 PM

So after my emissions fail ( http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=212084) I’m as ready as I can be for the re test tomorrow. Everythings been stripped and re sealed, new balanced TB’s and 240cc injectors and a tweaked map has hopefully done the trick. It’s been on a mot gas analyser with the laptop pluged in to make adjustments and I have got evertything in the green.

My lambda is jumping slightly into the red but that hopefully should be a little adjustment to that map site should drop it back into the green.

I have also manag d to bugger up the paint around the exhaust, it’s blistered and popped but i should be able to save it once its done and on the road...

Daf - 8/5/18 at 09:06 PM

All the best for tomorrow

I'm sure you're wel l aware that the Emeral interpolates the map so adjusting the one next to the site you're looking at can change the lambda too.

[Edited on 8/5/18 by Daf]

furryeggs - 9/5/18 at 11:20 AM

Sat waiting for the test inspector. Checked things over in the map, adjusted the idle slightly and now have to see what happens... fingers crissed

jps - 9/5/18 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Sat waiting for the test inspector. Checked things over in the map, adjusted the idle slightly and now have to see what happens... fingers crissed

Hope it went well ;-)

mikeb - 9/5/18 at 12:03 PM

fingers crossed for you

furryeggs - 9/5/18 at 02:25 PM

What a load of bollock bad luck. It was all going fine and looking ok until the brand new bloody fan belt exploded everywhere. So with no way of getting the temps down enough to run safely to finish the test its another big fat fail.

New belt
New Idler pully
New alternator fan

luckily nothing else seems to be damaged.

mikeb - 9/5/18 at 02:37 PM

rotten luck . Did you get enough of a run to know the emission were ok for next time?

Daf - 9/5/18 at 02:43 PM

That's cruel, and really crap luck. So close but so far.

furryeggs - 9/5/18 at 03:34 PM

He said it was looking ok for a pass, fast idle went straight through, started tweeking to drop the lambda and as it srtarted coming down SNAP...

furryeggs - 9/5/18 at 06:39 PM

So this is whats left of my fan belt... I'm not 100% sure but buy the looks of it, one of the idle roller bearings collapsed and locked solid, the rubber fan belt then ran around the plastic pully overheating the belt enough to weeken it and snap. I could be wrong but thats all i can see/feel without taking the front end apart.

furryeggs - 11/5/18 at 05:36 PM

Starting to get a look at what happened with the belt. I've managed to get the front off today to check for damage...
[img][/img]

Pulley locked solid...
[img][/img]

The top idler pulley was pulled down the bracket about 25mm, checked the spacer and bolt and nothings bent or damaged...
[img][/img]

Water pump seems ok... might be worth changing whilst the fronts off?
[img][/img]

There's still belt wrapped around the alternator, hopefully there's no damage once I get it off...
[img][/img]

Lots of belt rubber everywhere...
[img][/img]

Luckily there's no damage to anything else. Just a bit of cleaning up.
[img][/img]

The sooner I can get this sorted the sooner I can get the re-test booked...Again.

furryeggs - 17/5/18 at 02:45 PM

I seem to of developed a coolant leak from the water pump. I’ll add that to the list to sort before the re re test.

furryeggs - 16/6/18 at 08:05 PM

There's not really been anything to post for the last few weeks, I've been waiting for is my RR session to get my emissions sorted... There's a local guy (Gordon Darcy at streetrcers) hidden down a little track in syston who has a 4wd 1000hp dyno who does alot of race and drag cars (jap stuff mainly) but has everything for the Emerald ECU.

Everythings hopefully now sorted ready for my retest on Monday 18th. I forgot to take any pictures but with a very restrictive/quiet R1 exhaust holding it back and an IVA friendly tune I have 140bhp at the wheels. I need to take it back for a full tune once I have the exhaust swapped for a less restrictive one.

I've decided I'm going to drive it to Nottingham for the re test, so hopefully nothing will fall off during the 20mile drive.