Board logo

Fitting a stereo!!
justy75 - 20/8/13 at 09:45 PM

Hi all,

Before I start I just want to say that I appreciate that MOST of you 7 style owners will think that its a waste of time fitting a stereo in a 7 style car! I too think that most of the time it will be drowned out by the exhaust, however.......

I like my tunes when I am driving and where I live I can spend as much time in traffic as I can out on the country lanes. Consequently I am thinking about making a couple of new dash boards, one with a layout for a track day with no stereo, and another with a stereo in for general use. I have some ideas for effectively quick release cabling enabling me to disconnect the speakers and stereo fairly easily.

I was just wondering whether anyone hear has fitted a stereo in the dash of a 7? Would like to see some peoples stereo and speaker installs, hear about any problems or practicality issues etc....

Thanks

ali f27 - 20/8/13 at 09:51 PM

purdy had a dvd in the 4 wheel drive car did barbon hillclimb with it playing

austin man - 20/8/13 at 09:57 PM

I have one in mine use earphones so no problem not hearing

mark chandler - 20/8/13 at 09:59 PM

CB quick release slide mount for the stero and leave speakers under the scuttle, job done.

Slimy38 - 20/8/13 at 10:07 PM

I'm hoping to use my mx5 donor seats which have speakers in the headrests. However, they won't be driven by a head unit. Somewhere in the car will be a small amp and a bluetooth receiver, then whenever i want tunes i just use my phone to drive the music. No need for any dashboard mounted kit at all.

ReMan - 20/8/13 at 10:21 PM

Presumably decent stereos are sensitive to getting wet?
Which might limit fitment to somewhere unusual or inaccessible?

SteveWalker - 20/8/13 at 10:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by austin man
I have one in mine use earphones so no problem not hearing

One earphone is fine, but I have heard various opinions on whether using two is illegal as they make it difficult to hear other vehicles horns, sirens, etc. Certainly this is the logic behind in-ear hands-free kits only having one earpiece.

steve m - 20/8/13 at 10:29 PM

I had a cd/radio in mine for about a week, what a waste of time!

jabs - 21/8/13 at 06:58 AM

Earphones: I saw someone driving with a set of headphones on yesterday!!!

Mr Whippy - 21/8/13 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jabs
Earphones: I saw someone driving with a set of headphones on yesterday!!!

Only way I can hear anything in my Landy is with my iPod and headphones, good for blocking out wind buffet

Stott - 21/8/13 at 09:14 AM

I fitted one and a pair of 6x9 speakers.

It was worth it for me, I drove the car with earplugs anyway and that means you can hear the stereo better oddly enough.

Mine had a remote control so I could do it easily while belted in.

You can just make out the speaker grills at the back of the boot.

Pics:

THREAD LINK

Simon - 21/8/13 at 09:18 AM

http://www.pure.com/product/pocketdab-1500-vl-60799/

Have one of these and think it's great

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 21/8/13 by Simon]

Vindi_andy - 21/8/13 at 03:37 PM

I fitted a £50 Aldi radio and a couple of ripspeed speakers from Halfords that were on half price.

I can hear it fine in mine even at a steady 60ish on the motorway. radio is cracking its MP3 on a disc compatible and even has an aux input and bluetooth.