Board logo

Dash switches and hoops - where to buy?
joedredd - 19/3/16 at 02:23 PM

I built my Tiger Supercat over 10 years ago now and it's due a bit of a refresh I think.
It's been a long time since I actively looked at parts or got involved with the Kitcar world so please forgive any naive questions.

I love the look of the newer Caterhams and would like to make my dash look similar. For me that would mean buying the carbon fibre dash itself, switches and lights.

Can anyone help me track down the parts used?

I know lots of people make these flick switches, but usually they have horrible nuts and poor finishing a the base. Caterhams look lovely with these smooth finish.
Any idea what these hoops are called? (Toggle Switch Guard?)

Thanks.

[Edited on 19/3/16 by joedredd]

Rosco86 - 19/3/16 at 02:42 PM

Cheapest from the U.S.

Classic U Shaped Toggle Switch Guards Black Anodized Aluminum

Nice quality switches

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Apem_Toggle_Switches.html

joedredd - 19/3/16 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rosco86
Cheapest from the U.S.

Classic U Shaped Toggle Switch Guards Black Anodized Aluminum

Nice quality switches

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Apem_Toggle_Switches.html

Awesome, thanks.

Adamirish - 19/3/16 at 08:19 PM

It may be worth sending rosco86 a pm. I'm sure that's what he has done.

Failing that the bmw mini's use the same kind of switch block on the dash so you maybe able to retrofit that.

twybrow - 19/3/16 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish

Failing that the bmw mini's use the same kind of switch block on the dash so you maybe able to retrofit that.

Mini switches are not regular switches. They use some crazy sort of logic as they do multiple functions. Someone on here did manage to make them work, but I think it was a lot of faff!

Adamirish - 19/3/16 at 11:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
quote:
Originally posted by Adamirish

Mini switches are not regular switches. They use some crazy sort of logic as they do multiple functions. Someone on here did manage to make them work, but I think it was a lot of faff!

Ah ok I didn't know that. Not like bmw to make things complicated!lol

40inches - 19/3/16 at 11:39 PM

CBS do them, but they are eye wateringly expensive
Actually! Looking at the ones from the States, they are about the same price!

[Edited on 19-3-16 by 40inches]

TheGecko - 20/3/16 at 05:07 AM

There's a book by Brian Thompson called "How to Build Your Own Supercar" https://www.bookdepository.com/How-to-Build-Your-Own-Supercar/9781845841669.

It's full of useful tips and tricks for car building, one of which is his cheap method of making toggle switch hoops. He used small stainless tube, bent into half circles with a brake pipe bender, then expanded a rivnut inside each end of the resulting hoop. Fixing was by screws from the back of the panel.

Food for thought perhaps?

Edited to add a pic of the page in question. For some reason, LocostBuilders is choking on the URL for this image - no idea why

[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-U_GC2xk8RnE/Vu4xrN31giI/AAAAAAAAY7M/nBs4WgxB5sMeis8AkhBdV1htgkXst4WgwCCo/s800-Ic42/IMG_20160320_150848.jpg[/im g]

Dominic

[Edited on 20/3/2016 by TheGecko]

theduck - 20/3/16 at 08:28 AM

I used a me mini switch panel and just replaced the switches with normal toggles.

Excuse the dust

Badger_McLetcher - 20/3/16 at 10:41 AM

Why not just use U bolts for the hoops and hide the fasteners in a recess? Could probably powder coat them black if you really wanted, or just use a decent paint.

Switches are relatively easy as they just look like standard toggle ones, the only issue may be getting round surrounds; they just need to be spaced back so the thread doesn't protrude.

For the warning lights why not just use something like Dash Warning / Indicator Lights Round 12v LED - Brake / headlight / sidelight and put the stickers on?

[Edited on 20/3/16 by Badger_McLetcher]

[Edited on 20/3/16 by Badger_McLetcher]

joedredd - 20/3/16 at 12:58 PM

quote:
cheap method of making toggle switch hoops. He used small stainless tube, bent into half circles with a brake pipe bender, then expanded a rivnut inside each end of the resulting hoop. Fixing was by screws from the back of the panel.

Interesting - thanks muchly for that tip.

In that photo he's mixed retaining nuts, some round, some hexagonal - bad attention to detail!

joedredd - 20/3/16 at 01:01 PM

quote:

For the warning lights why not just use something like Dash Warning / Indicator Lights Round 12v LED - Brake / headlight / sidelight and put the stickers on?

You can buy the stickers? Not ideal...but possibly best option a the moment.
These are probably the best match I found so far : http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/warning-lights-black-bezel-led
(yes expensive, but I want it to be right)