Board logo

8inch tablet
karlak - 26/12/12 at 08:26 AM

Seen this online at Tesco, currently £49. It is missing a few features(GPS & Bluetooth), but for surfing and apps usage it is pretty good. Decent CPU speed etc.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/archos-80-cobalt-tablet-8-8gb-wifi/247-0605.prd?skuId=247-0605&pageLevel=sku&_requestid=6344469&sc_cmp=aff_101 8132

EDIT : £39 for new customers with code TDX-KJPW

[Edited on 26/12/12 by karlak]

zilspeed - 26/12/12 at 09:21 AM

Ordered at £39.

Thanks for the tip.

Not the discount code requires a minimum spend of £50.

I added some photo paper on at £4.40 meaning a total spend of £43.40.

Thanks again.

Dunbikin - 26/12/12 at 09:25 AM

just tried ordering one, but they've run out. Cheers for the heads up anyway.

Just tried ordering again, and it's gone through now. Pick up on Saturday.

[Edited on 26/12/12 by Dunbikin]

Nickp - 26/12/12 at 09:27 AM

I must've got the last one Had to get a scart adaptor for £1 for the minimum spend

Wheels244 - 26/12/12 at 09:36 AM

B*gger - missed out too.
Bargain at that price.

JoelP - 26/12/12 at 11:00 AM

keep your eyes on

www.hukd.co.uk

heads up on there 2 days ago!

Daddylonglegs - 26/12/12 at 11:48 AM

Bugger, mised 'em

zilspeed - 26/12/12 at 11:51 AM

Tempted to put an advert on Ebay warning the unwary not to pay a penny more than that.
Apparently there have been people going in and buying armfulls.

Wheels244 - 26/12/12 at 11:51 AM

Got one in store in York.
Had to pay £49.99 - still a bargain at that price.

There's about 8 left if you're quick, they're selling fast !
Tadcaster Road store.

coozer - 26/12/12 at 12:49 PM

Sorry, this product is currently unavailable.

DOH!

zilspeed - 26/12/12 at 12:52 PM

This reminds me of the Kodak deal a few years ago when the world went mad for a worngly priced camera which they decided to honour for online purchases.
Over on the HUKD site, there are people talking for travelling 100 miles only to be met by big queues.

Madness.

All right if you can pick one up locally, but not worth travelling all over the country.

coozer - 26/12/12 at 02:56 PM

Hump... just been over the Tescos on the off chance...

Hello, got any of these... Assistant goes, laughing.. "No chance, 50 out the door in 20 minutes this morning"

Wheels244 - 26/12/12 at 03:04 PM

No comfort for those that didn't manage to get one - but for those that have ordered them, I think you're going to be very pleased.
I'm posting this off mine bought a couple of hours ago - works great straight out of the box.
If you've used an iPad before you'll have no issues - very similar.

I think stores should have limited to one per customer to stop the profiteering by some.

imp paul - 26/12/12 at 03:17 PM

just got last 2 woooop from tesco alfreton seem to be spot on 1.6 ghz so pretty fast cheers to first poster for letting us know sweeeeet lol

mookaloid - 26/12/12 at 04:54 PM

Got the last one from tesco in catterick - it won't sign in to my Google account just says can't get a reliable connection to server :-(

mookaloid - 26/12/12 at 05:25 PM

panic over I got it sorted

great tip thanks!

Wheels244 - 26/12/12 at 09:14 PM

Ah well - got one and after using it for a few hours it has packed it.
Black screen - can't get it to turn on even with the charging lead connected.
It makes a start up sound about 30 seconds after holding the on button for 10 seconds but nothing comes on the screen.

JoelP - 26/12/12 at 10:26 PM

I bought a 'goclever' tablet a few months ago for £66 and honestly, ive had £66 of fun just playing angry birds on it - i havent even got it online yet!

Davey D - 26/12/12 at 11:04 PM

I've bought 2 of these today from one of my local stores. Got one around mid day when they were still on the shelves. Quite a few people in the queue wanting one. After I showed it to my parents, they wanted one so I nipped back into the shop around 5:30 to find no sign of them in the store :-( so I asked at the counter, and managed to bag the last one in the store they had stashed away :-)

loggyboy - 26/12/12 at 11:17 PM

I ordered a bargain galaxy Tab 10.1 today, also from Tesco. 299 price ticket price, recuced to 239, £10 tesco direct first time use discount, 22 staff discount (from cousin), then a £50 cashback deal from samsung brings it down to £155!
The 7 inch version works out as just over £100!
Even without the staff discount it would have been a great deal.

Samsung cash back is vaild till 31st of Dec.

zilspeed - 27/12/12 at 10:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I ordered a bargain galaxy Tab 10.1 today, also from Tesco. 299 price ticket price, recuced to 239, £10 tesco direct first time use discount, 22 staff discount (from cousin), then a £50 cashback deal from samsung brings it down to £155!
The 7 inch version works out as just over £100!
Even without the staff discount it would have been a great deal.

Samsung cash back is vaild till 31st of Dec.

We bought one of those Galaxy Tabs just before Christmas.
£239 less £50.

Have just done the cashback claim online.
Make sure you have the exact model number sorted out for the model you bough and also the means to scan in the receipt too.

Now we have to wait up to 30 days to see whether the claim is validated.

Here's hoping.

Should pick up the Archos one on Saturday.
Bought because I'll never get a sniff of the Galaxy.

[Edited on 27/12/12 by zilspeed]

[Edited on 27/12/12 by zilspeed]

wilkingj - 27/12/12 at 11:05 AM

I got my Samsung 7" Tab2 Absolutely free when I bought a new Samsung TV.
There are still Samsung Deals out there where they are giving the Tab2 away for FREE.
I suppose it just depends if you need a new TV or whatever. (I did)

I didnt think I would use it much, but I do. Its VERY handy for Facebook, and messaging and general browsing. I dont trust it yet for Banking and purchasing online.

I use IMO (multi messaging APP) a lot as its covers several messaging systems in one app, including facebook messaging etc.

Most of my mates who are Tecchy GEEKS, are all going for the Nexus7 with the built-in 3G. But then they are Geeks of the first order!
I would have bought a Nexus 7 if I had not got the Samsung 7" Tab2 for freebies.

I am surprised that I use it SO much more than my old lap top.

Just my 2d's worth.

Wheels244 - 27/12/12 at 12:52 PM

Well, I'll be taking my cheap piece of sh*t back tomorrow.
Been all over the t'internet for a fix - can't find one.
It would appear to be French crap made by the Chinese.
Should have known better - buy cheap, buy twice !!

My wife has had an iPad for over a year - not missed a beat.
Lesson learnt.

zilspeed - 27/12/12 at 04:00 PM

This typed on daughter's Galaxy tab whilst she's out.

Aging laptop may well enter semi retirement if the Archos thing is any good and anything like as capable.

loggyboy - 27/12/12 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244

Lesson learnt.

What was the problem, (I assume it was with the £40 archos jobbie?)

Wheels244 - 27/12/12 at 11:48 PM

Yes - the cheap Archos thing.
I was chuffed to buttons to start with - everything worked ok - then screen went black and refused to turn back on.
It's been on charge for 28hrs now and still won't switch on.
Not an isolated thing for Archos products according to the forums I searched - money back time.
I'll invest more money in something of better quality.

craig1410 - 28/12/12 at 12:54 AM

quote:

Lesson learnt.

I wondered how long it would take before this happened...I hope you get your money back without any hassles.

Best to stick to the mainstream when it comes to tablets as there is a lot of cheap tat out there. At the moment that means iPad (10" and 8" ) then some way behind the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HD. The Microsoft Surface is still gaining momentum (read, failing to sell...) but will probably get there eventually.

If it seems too good to be true...

[Edited on 28/12/2012 by craig1410]

Davey D - 28/12/12 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:

Lesson learnt.

I wondered how long it would take before this happened...I hope you get your money back without any hassles.

Best to stick to the mainstream when it comes to tablets as there is a lot of cheap tat out there. At the moment that means iPad (10" and 8" ) then some way behind the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HD. The Microsoft Surface is still gaining momentum (read, failing to sell...) but will probably get there eventually.

So what makes you think the high end android tablets are "some way behind" the rival apple products?

franky - 28/12/12 at 10:29 AM

they're all made in China, most things in the world are. You can read just as many horror stories about overpriced Ipads.

imp paul - 28/12/12 at 11:09 AM

i have a pal who fixes ipads for his job and i popped in to say hello. while i was there i got to see inside a new ipad OMG all it has is massive battery's and a very small pcb the same as the iphone 4 at the bottom of the case you dont get much for your hard earned penny's so im happy to have a pad at less cost as there's nothing inside them any way lol so far archos 80 cobalt is working fine and is very fast not bad for £50

craig1410 - 28/12/12 at 11:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
quote:
quote:

Lesson learnt.

So what makes you think the high end android tablets are "some way behind" the rival apple products?

Well, given the context of my sentence was "mainstream" tablets, I don't think there is much doubt that the iPad is leading the way by a country mile both in terms of past and present sales volumes. Even more so when you consider how many cheap tablets are bought then returned or never used again after a week or so. More so again when you learn that Apple only count a "sale" when it reaches an end user when everyone else counts a sale when it is shipped to distributors and resellers.

Edit: Just saw this which illustrates my point quite well.
http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/12/28/ipad-continues-to-make-huge-majority-of-tablet-web-traffic

Wheels244 - 28/12/12 at 02:53 PM

Update:

Apologies to the OP for minor thread hijack.

I returned the tablet to Tesco - no dramas offered me a refund or a replacement - being totally hypocritical following my previous comments about these, I accepted a replacement :-)

Let's see how long this one lasts.
I will be keeping the receipt in a safe place.

For those that may still want one - they're on the shelves at £69.00

imp paul - 28/12/12 at 04:44 PM

that's all good then glad you got it sorted i have left mine on all day and it works fine lol go to android market and type archos and get the free codac pack works mint

karlak - 28/12/12 at 05:11 PM

I never actually got myself one after posting this...

Is it true that these wont charge from a USB connected to anything other than the mains charger ?

Wheels244 - 29/12/12 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by karlak
I never actually got myself one after posting this...

Is it true that these wont charge from a USB connected to anything other than the mains charger ?

Not too sure on this one - if it does charge from USB it does it VERY slowly - much better to use the mains charger.

Wheels244 - 29/12/12 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by imp paul
that's all good then glad you got it sorted i have left mine on all day and it works fine lol go to android market and type archos and get the free codac pack works mint

What does the Codac pack do Paul ?
Forgive me - I'm a total novice with Android stuff - I hear a lot about rooting it, but I have no idea what that is or why you would do it.

Cheers

Rob

Peteff - 29/12/12 at 10:50 AM

quote:
What does the Codac pack do Paul ?

Codec packs are to play movies and music. DivX, XviD, mp3 and various other formats along with quicktime and the like so you can use it for youtube and all the other entertaining stuff on the interweb.

imp paul - 29/12/12 at 11:19 AM

cheers pete also u2u sent to rob

MikeRJ - 29/12/12 at 12:00 PM

quote:

Well, given the context of my sentence was "mainstream" tablets, I don't think there is much doubt that the iPad is leading the way by a country mile both in terms of past and present sales volumes.

Sales volumes mean nothing in terms of the actual product. Apple has probably some of the best marketing in the world, and they have turned the iPhone/Pad/Pod into a 'must have' fashion accessory. Just like designer clothes, people will pay stupid money for something just so other people can see them wearing/using it.

That's not to say their products are rubbish, far from it in most cases, but you can certainly get a hell of lot more bang for the buck with an Android tablet.

[Edited on 29/12/12 by MikeRJ]

dlatch - 29/12/12 at 01:06 PM

As a fairly recent user to Android devices i am sold tbh it does most of what a apple product does at half the cost whats not to like ?

craig1410 - 29/12/12 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Well, given the context of my sentence was "mainstream" tablets, I don't think there is much doubt that the iPad is leading the way by a country mile both in terms of past and present sales volumes.

Sales volumes mean nothing in terms of the actual product. Apple has probably some of the best marketing in the world, and they have turned the iPhone/Pad/Pod into a 'must have' fashion accessory. Just like designer clothes, people will pay stupid money for something just so other people can see them wearing/using it.

That's not to say their products are rubbish, far from it in most cases, but you can certainly get a hell of lot more bang for the buck with an Android tablet.

[Edited on 29/12/12 by MikeRJ]

Well, actually in the context of what is "mainstream", sales volumes mean quite a lot!

Also, you may be interested to learn that Samsung's marketing budget dwarfs most companies, especially Apple. See here for details: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-samsungs-massive-marketing-budget-2012-11

Finally, speaking as someone who makes their living from a combination of iOS and Web 2.0 web development and who uses iOS devices to conduct and organise my business, and speaking as someone who doesn't care or have a clue about fashion, I would call BS your other argument too. There are certainly those who have jumped on the Apple bandwagon in the last few years as other companies have failed to respond to the iPhone and iPad and even the Macbook Air. There are others, such as myself, who have been Apple users since long before it became "fashionable"...

If you want to jailbreak your Apple devices then you can (and I have done in the past) but they work much better i you leave them alone and you don't have the same hassles with malware etc as you do with Android.

Each to their own...

Cheers,
Craig.

Davey D - 29/12/12 at 03:09 PM

I've had to return one of these Archos tablets, as the wifi didn't work at all :-( I decided to get my money back, and im going to get a nexus 7 16gb when they come back into stock :-)

zilspeed - 30/12/12 at 10:43 AM

Mine is working fine and does all I could want.

I have a brand new Galaxy tab 2 here for comparison.

It stacks up well.

MikeRJ - 30/12/12 at 11:16 AM

quote:

Also, you may be interested to learn that Samsung's marketing budget dwarfs most companies, especially Apple. See here for details: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-samsungs-massive-marketing-budget-2012-11

Samsung have a vastly broader range of products than Apple, so this is hardly surprising. However, I said nothing about the amount of money spent on marketing in my reply, simply that Apple are masters of the art.

quote:
Finally, speaking as someone who makes their living from a combination of iOS and Web 2.0 web development and who uses iOS devices to conduct and organise my business, and speaking as someone who doesn't care or have a clue about fashion, I would call BS your other argument too.

So no possible bias there then

quote:
and who uses iOS devices to conduct and organise my business, and speaking as someone who doesn't care or have a clue about fashion, I would call BS your other argument too.

With the greatest respect, you don't reflect the typical Apple product owner

quote:
you don't have the same hassles with malware etc as you do with Android.

I've not had any malware problems with any of the numerous android devices I own, but then again I don't tend to install random apps download from dubious sources and I don't root the devices. IOS is not immune to such attacks either, though Android does seem to present more of a target.

coozer - 30/12/12 at 12:27 PM

Can anyone confirm if Skygo works on this device please?

zilspeed - 30/12/12 at 02:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Can anyone confirm if Skygo works on this device please?

It doesn't at this point, that's a definite.
Please bear in mind that it's very early days for this tablet.

I can confirm that Iplayer works as does ITVplayer.

Dunbikin - 30/12/12 at 03:19 PM

quote:

I can confirm that Iplayer works as does ITVplayer.

Hi,
How do you get ITV player to work. When I tried it said I had to install Silverlight, then when I tried to do that it said not compatible with device.

Thanks

craig1410 - 30/12/12 at 04:51 PM

I'm starting to see the attraction of Android now...the anticipation of whether it will do what you want to do, followed by the social interaction of trying to find someone who can get it to work and then the uncertainty of whether it will eventually work or not. Sounds exciting!

FYI, Sky Go works on the iPad and iPad Mini (despite being in its early days) as they all run the same latest version of iOS. Also, you can run iPlayer, ITV Player, 4 on demand, Netflix and a bunch of other similar services.

Sorry, couldn't resist - please take with a large helping of festive cheer as intended.

Edit: On a more constructive note, here is an article which discusses this Sky Go issue. http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sky-infuriates-android-fans-with-limited-support-for-sky-go-50009898/

[Edited on 30/12/2012 by craig1410]

franky - 30/12/12 at 05:56 PM

quote:
I'm starting to see the attraction of Android now...the anticipation of whether it will do what you want to do, followed by the social interaction of trying to find someone who can get it to work and then the uncertainty of whether it will eventually work or not. Sounds exciting!

FYI, Sky Go works on the iPad and iPad Mini (despite being in its early days) as they all run the same latest version of iOS. Also, you can run iPlayer, ITV Player, 4 on demand, Netflix and a bunch of other similar services.

Sorry, couldn't resist - please take with a large helping of festive cheer as intended.

Edit: On a more constructive note, here is an article which discusses this Sky Go issue. http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sky-infuriates-android-fans-with-limited-support-for-sky-go-50009898/

Must be because you're comparing a £50 device against one that retails for 5 times as much. I like apple stuff but it is a case of last years technology, polished and overpriced

craig1410 - 30/12/12 at 06:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

Must be because you're comparing a £50 device against one that retails for 5 times as much. I like apple stuff but it is a case of last years technology, polished and overpriced

You'd have to be very poorly informed to believe that. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you we're kidding.

Bare - 30/12/12 at 06:32 PM

Got a Kindle Fire HD for Xmas.. Very nice screen. Teeny tiny images though, when trying to net surf.
But I'm finding it's essentially useless. as every time you get something for it, it just costs.. seemingly endlessly.
Just another time and money waster IMO.

JoelP - 30/12/12 at 06:38 PM

Much as its fun to write apple stuff off as overpriced, you cant deny that there is a certain appeal to having a product that just works straight out of the box. The bottom line is that iOS runs just on the one brand, so its easy to be sure everything works. Android has to work across a huge range of devices and specs, which makes it a whole lot more complex.

Sadly, i cant bring myself to spend 450 on an ipad, so for now im just sticking with my budget one. I may upgrade to a 10 incher some time, but that wont be an ipad.

Interestingly, the things i hated itunes for turn out to affect my android device too - its messed up all my file layouts and will take forever to tidy up. Equally music bought at the itunes store isnt still tied to apple devices so thats another problem solved.

JoelP - 30/12/12 at 06:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Bare
Got a Kindle Fire HD for Xmas.. Very nice screen. Teeny tiny images though, when trying to net surf.
But I'm finding it's essentially useless. as every time you get something for it, it just costs.. seemingly endlessly.
Just another time and money waster IMO.

do you mean in terms of buying apps/books etc?

craig1410 - 30/12/12 at 06:42 PM

Joelp, you can get an iPad 10" for much less than £450, especially if you use the Apple refurbished store here: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

£315 for a 3rd gen Retina display 16GB WiFi model.

I take your point though, if you can't justify that cost for your uses then there are cheaper options.

Edit: Should have mentioned, the refurb store is 100% the same warranty and probably better quality as QA'd individually rather than on a sample basis from the factory.

Mr G - 30/12/12 at 09:08 PM

I've just gone to alternative sources to be honest, XBMC flies along on the cobalt, if you then install the icefilms plug-in and the navi-x plug-in the amount of content you can get puts slys lineup to shame

Another alternative would be to pick up a cheap slingbox and hook it up to the $ky box's output for streaming while out and about.

Cheers,

G

splitrivet - 3/1/13 at 10:28 AM

Filmon works fine on it, great for watching the box when bitch TV is on ie corry, dancing on ice etc etc.
What suprised me was the Kindle fire, sister in laws got one and I was having a play, I thought it was a straight Android tablet but anything that clashes with an Amazon supplied app is a no no.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 3/1/13 by splitrivet]

MikeRJ - 3/1/13 at 11:01 AM

quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
Filmon works fine on it, great for watching the box when bitch TV is on ie corry, dancing on ice etc etc.
What suprised me was the Kindle fire, sister in laws got one and I was having a play, I thought it was a straight Android tablet but anything that clashes with an Amazon supplied app is a no no.

Yep, the Kindle Fire runs a very customised version of Android. I wanted to buy one as it's the only Android tablet that can stream video from Lovefilm, but the lack of Google Play and proprietary browser etc. put me off.

MikeRJ - 3/1/13 at 11:14 AM

quote:
Joelp, you can get an iPad 10" for much less than £450, especially if you use the Apple refurbished store here: http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

£315 for a 3rd gen Retina display 16GB WiFi model.

Given the price of a new iPad that's not too bad a price actually, though a brand new Nexus 10 costs about the same and has the edge in terms of hardware (higher res display and significantly faster CPU).

TimEllershaw - 3/1/13 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet

Yep, the Kindle Fire runs a very customised version of Android. I wanted to buy one as it's the only Android tablet that can stream video from Lovefilm, but the lack of Google Play and proprietary browser etc. put me off.

I won a Kindle Fire HD in a prize draw just before Christmas, and have also been streaming films from LoveFilm and watching BBC iPlayer on it. All works really well. It has a mini-HDMI putput, so we have been able to plug it into a projector for that big screen experience

It's user interface does feel quite a lot different to a "normal" Android tablet or phone, but it is really nice to use.
The selection of apps available from the Amazon store is ok, but only a sub-set of the Google play selection. I've not tried it yet, but y0u can "side-load" applications if you fancy ( Instructions... )