Board logo

Sheet metal folder suggestions...
Simon - 10/5/20 at 10:46 PM

..or recommendations please

Going to be doing some cardboard aided design on beetle bodywork (internal panels) and would like to be able to fold my own steel (have a sheet of 1.2mm arriving tomorrow).

I'd like to get something up to a metre long (though suspect I may only need 2/3rds that) and have seen ebay items for around £130. Has anyone got/used of these things and are they ok. I could indeed build one but would rather spend my time sorting the bug

Cheers

rusty nuts - 11/5/20 at 06:41 AM

I have a SP folder which must be 30 years old that is similar, however if I had space I would look out for an old free standing folder

steve m - 11/5/20 at 08:17 AM

what would be the longest fold in one go be?

As I did all my bodywork in alui. a lot softer with two lengths of 25mm RHS bolted together to make a square edged 8
and slide the metal into the slot, and tighten the bolts at each end
Pop the whole lot into or clamped to a workmate and with a club hammer and piece of wood bent the lip over

worked fine, and that was with a fold of over a meter long

steve

macc man - 11/5/20 at 10:02 AM

I built a metal folding machine from heavy angle iron. This will take material up to 30" long. It tends to flex in the middle so I put a g clamp on it to stop the flex. It works great with fairly thin material but struggles with long heavy duty material.
Unless you intend to do a lot of bending I would look for a metalworking shop who will bend it for you. A good folder is expensive and bulky. The cheaper ones from machine mart etc are not that much use.

jps - 11/5/20 at 06:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by macc man
I built a metal folding machine from heavy angle iron. This will take material up to 30" long. It tends to flex in the middle so I put a g clamp on it to stop the flex. It works great with fairly thin material but struggles with long heavy duty material.
Unless you intend to do a lot of bending I would look for a metalworking shop who will bend it for you. A good folder is expensive and bulky. The cheaper ones from machine mart etc are not that much use.

I made one recently as well - to take a panel just over a metre. Mine also bends, which I know is sortable - but in all honesty I think I probably would have been better off just going off to somewhere I could get the bend done... I did look to buy, but it's a big piece of kit cluttering up the garage, which will get little use.

MikeR - 11/5/20 at 10:39 PM

randomly this came up tonight after reading this thread earlier,
https://www.facebook.com/SuppercoolStuff/videos/252950159158052

colin furze has also made one

voucht - 12/5/20 at 07:28 AM

... or you can make you own.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggy1DHwAh_0
It is fun to watch too

907 - 12/5/20 at 10:16 AM

I never grudge money spent on tools, well second hand tools anyway.

I bought a s/h Sahinler 1.25 x 16g finger folder about 10 years ago for £450.
Over the years I have made various bottom bed sections and now have quite a collection. Also made the odd shorter top fingers
so that I can bend thicker bar. 50 x 6mm is well within reach. My U shaped chassis suspension brackets I bent in 4mm plate.

So what did it really cost ? I bet that come my retirement when I sell my treasure it will still be worth what I payed, if not more.

As for space, how many garages are brimmed full of freezers, lawnmowers that no longer work, and the kids bikes that they rode
when they were a foot shorter.
I know of one bloke in the village who has converted his dining room into a machine shop and does a very nice trade in making orreries.

Paul G

MikeR - 12/5/20 at 10:20 AM

Is the bloke still married?? I know I wouldn't be.

It's a fair point about the garage and it's a battle I have periodically with the wife. I've relented to two fridge/freezers and storing some smaller stuff.

907 - 12/5/20 at 11:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Is the bloke still married?? I know I wouldn't be.

It's a fair point about the garage and it's a battle I have periodically with the wife. I've relented to two fridge/freezers and storing some smaller stuff.

Yes, still married to his childhood sweetheart.

He has a 6 room (3 bed) cottage, and the kids have flown the nest. Plenty of room for a man cave.

Simon - 12/5/20 at 07:40 PM

I think I'm going to need to make lots of stuff (see Binky, but for my Beetle ) so a) don't want to make b) needs to be a sensible size and c) forgot what that was….