Board logo

Cleaning parts
Benzine - 5/5/04 at 08:54 PM

I have got all the donor parts from my sierra and now I am about begin the process of cleaning them up. I wondered if anyone could point me in the direction of some websites/online resources about this or give me some handy hints? I just want to make sure i do it right

Thanks for any help!

Chris_R - 5/5/04 at 09:16 PM

Definately read this. Works a treat. Electrolysis. See the light!

paulbeyer - 5/5/04 at 10:13 PM

I used parafin to clean my donor bits. I found a large shallow tray at a local garden centre and used a stiff brush (a normal paint brush with the bristles cut down). This got rid of even the thickest oil and gunk and left a protective oily film that was easily removed with brake cleaner or thinners. I think parafin, "the tool" (do a search on this forum) and electrolysis would cover you for any situation.

Benzine - 6/5/04 at 05:31 PM

Thanks for the electrolysis link very helpful. Whats this i read on about 3 websites about using a stainless steal electrode being illegal/harmful to use? Is this true and whats a good electrode to use instead and where can i get them from?

Thanks

Chris_R - 6/5/04 at 07:23 PM

Yes it is true, stainless steel releases chemicals that are harmful to people and for this reason illegal to throw down the drain. I use mild steel and it's just the job.