Board logo

Gluing P-trim to glass fibre
Irony - 4/9/12 at 09:21 AM

Thinking about fitting my bonnet and using P-trim from woolies. I would like to glue or stick the rubber P-trim to the nose and scuttle. What have other people done - glue, double sided, little countersunk bolts? If glue - what glue?

Cheers Kev

Bluemoon - 4/9/12 at 09:32 AM

Evostick impact adhesive I suspect..

Irony - 4/9/12 at 09:34 AM

I wanted to do a test with different glues but I don't have a bit of glass fibre I can ruin!

Bluemoon - 4/9/12 at 09:37 AM

Well it stuck the P-trim on my GRP wings very well but this is also sandwiched between GRP and ali also it's not hot... The snag is the engine bay heat might soften it..

On my bonnet I have used self adhesive draft excluder, has been fine for 2000 miles but again I have seen others do something similar and heat softens the glue and you end up with a mess.. You mileage may vary!

I was thinking of changing to the traditional way, i.e

Woven in and out of slots in the nose cone lip. It's just very low on the list of things to do..

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-136-bonnet-tape.aspx

[Edited on 4/9/12 by Bluemoon]

40inches - 4/9/12 at 12:17 PM

I used Evostick, but stuck it to the bonnet.
Description
Description

The rubber and fibreglass need to the cleaned with Acetone and scored with 80 grit emery, and cleaned again.
Still on after 2 years.

twybrow - 4/9/12 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I used Evostick, but stuck it to the bonnet.
Description
Description

The rubber and fibreglass need to the cleaned with Acetone and scored with 80 grit emery, and cleaned again.
Still on after 2 years.

+1 from me. It wont work within 15cm of the zorst, but otherwise it should stick like the proverbial....

jossey - 4/9/12 at 06:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I wanted to do a test with different glues but I don't have a bit of glass fibre I can ruin!

I have some fibre glass you can ruin if it helps, I'm half way up the a15.

Cheers

David j