Board logo

Which plastic for side screens?
johnH20 - 6/8/17 at 09:46 PM

I have made up some side wind deflectors for my windscreen out of commercially available polycarbonate sheet. They work up to a point but for winter I am thinking about some full side screens ( A pillar to roll bar hoop.) Problem with the polycarbonate is that it seems to scratch very easily, gentle cleaning with a soft cloth seems to induce a lot of micro scratches. When I was at Silverstone last week for the Classic event I saw a number of historics with plastic screens that seemed to be scratch free. Was this old fashioned Perspex or some other material that I should use? Is there perhaps a special grade of polycarbonate that I need? Any advice welcomed.

Myke 2463 - 7/8/17 at 06:15 AM

Google Marguard expensive, should show equivalents that cost less. Used in forestry logging vehicles.

SJ - 7/8/17 at 07:05 AM

I thought the polycarbonate I used for my side screens was quite scratch resistant. It's also cheap enough to replace them every couple of years.

Stu

cliftyhanger - 7/8/17 at 11:13 AM

Acrylic/perspex is more scratch resistant, but can shatter under impact. Not great....

I used.polycarbonate for a wind deflector for that reason, despite the commercially available ones being made of acrylic. Which also happens to be cheaper.

Mr Whippy - 7/8/17 at 11:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Acrylic/perspex is more scratch resistant, but can shatter under impact. Not great....

I used.polycarbonate for a wind deflector for that reason, despite the commercially available ones being made of acrylic. Which also happens to be cheaper.

ditto, I used Perspex 8mm (orange ) for my beach buggys windscreen and it cracked into long dagger like bits which were not much better than glass tbh

The trick to washing them is to wash under running water with a very soft cotton cloth. Small scratches can be buffed out with aeroplane canopy restorer