Board logo

Ideas for wheel arch liners
Slimy38 - 2/9/18 at 05:02 PM

Just thinking ahead, my Healey rep might benefit from some wheel arch liners. I want to keep things locost as ever, so I have been looking at production car liners. Problem is, most are too large and designed to accommodate the suspension, so they have a big section missing from the middle!! The closest I found was a couple of wheel arches from an old trailer, but they didn't look wide enough.

I need something that is curved front to back, that I can fix to the body, and it should be fairly cheap. I should have some spare aluminium left so I could use that, but is there anything else I could consider? What is the plastic that is used for car liners, is it something that can be purchased for a good price and manipulated easily?

DW100 - 2/9/18 at 05:12 PM

what about some truck rear wheel arches?

something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Wheel-Arches-Mudwings-Set-3-5T-Recovery-Truck-Plastic-Lorry-Transporter-HGV-/112192573057

[Edited on 2/9/18 by DW100]

02GF74 - 2/9/18 at 07:21 PM

Dunno what size you need but Large plastic pet washing bowl, e. g. eBay item 253083742914.
70 l for £ 12

Cut to shape

Or plastic bin

[Edited on 2/9/18 by 02GF74]

Mash - 2/9/18 at 07:45 PM

Probably a silly suggestion,but how about knocking something tohgether from some 7 style rear wings for the rear. Not sure how much space you have under there, but I'd have thought it would work ?

Maybe even something similar for the front ?

SPYDER - 2/9/18 at 08:44 PM

A section cut from one of those blue barrels you see about maybe?

SteveWalker - 2/9/18 at 09:02 PM

To reduce the risk of stones cracking my fibreglass arches from underneath, I painted the underside with a thick, rubberised paint meant for the purpose.

Mr Whippy - 3/9/18 at 12:24 PM

I looked at this crowd a while back and they do the Healey or could probably do one that fits your specific rep if it is quite different. Seems a proper quality solution.

linky

Slimy38 - 3/9/18 at 05:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DW100
what about some truck rear wheel arches?

something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Wheel-Arches-Mudwings-Set-3-5T-Recovery-Truck-Plastic-Lorry-Transporter-HGV-/112192573057

yeah that would be ideal, but I think the curve would be too large. I'd still like it to follow the arch if possible. Although I'm guessing a little heat might get it working!

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
A section cut from one of those blue barrels you see about maybe?

I was wondering whether a water butt would work, is that what you mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Mash
Probably a silly suggestion,but how about knocking something tohgether from some 7 style rear wings for the rear. Not sure how much space you have under there, but I'd have thought it would work ?

Maybe even something similar for the front ?

That's what the bodywork guy suggested, but I don't really want to pay the premium for ones that look decent. I have an Ebay search currently for 'broken rear wings', but it's coming up a bit light at the moment.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I looked at this crowd a while back and they do the Healey or could probably do one that fits your specific rep if it is quite different. Seems a proper quality solution.

linky

Oh hell yeah!! Not quite the locost, but it would be interesting to have 'real' ones fitted!

[Edited on 3/9/18 by Slimy38]