Board logo

Which Seats
red_five - 14/11/02 at 09:14 PM

I'm looking to buy a pair of seats - can anyone recommend any? or steer me away from any?
Obviously I want to save cost - so I'm contemplating the MK fibreglass ones - any good?

Thanks?

Jasper - 14/11/02 at 10:20 PM

I'm checking out Intatrim - Ranger/Odyssey at the Exeter show. Thin enough to fit and nice looking. I dont fancy sitting on fibreglass with my bony arse.

Ian Pearson - 15/11/02 at 04:57 AM

Bought from Intatrim at the last Exeter Show. Asked them to supply & fit runners as I wanted it done right first time. They arrived with the runners on crooked!

wicket - 15/11/02 at 08:32 AM

I've have Cobra Roadster 7's, 400mm max width available in different colours with or without contrast piping and harness slots. Got mine from Merlin MS £127 ea + £16 ea for runner set.

Not fiitted to chassis yet but sat in them on the lounge floor to try them out (how sad is that !!!) & they feel very nice, quite snug.

Liam - 15/11/02 at 11:47 AM

I got Roadster Sevens too - they're the business! Couldn't decide what colour piping to get so i just asked for black with black piping - got no piping at all, oh well.

Extremely comfy and supportive and they look great. Mine are currently in use as 'PS2 playing chairs'.

Liam

welshy - 15/11/02 at 03:03 PM

Depending what chassis you are doing will depend on what seats you can have.

I am picking my seats up this afternoon. They are from a Suzuki Swift GTI (£30 for the pair), the great thing about these seats is that they have the hole in the back for the 3 or 4 point harness as standard. They also come with these lovely shoulder rests.
The base measures 500mm at the widest points so i reckon with a little gentle persuasion they should fit in my Mcsorley 7+442 chassis.

If any body wants any pics please let me know.

Cheers
Welshy

chrisg - 15/11/02 at 08:20 PM

Wouldn't mind a look at those Welshy.

Cheers

Chris

paulbeyer - 15/11/02 at 08:42 PM

Hi Welshy, I second the Outlaw on that. Suzuki Swift seats sound interesting.

Jasper - 15/11/02 at 10:03 PM

Now that's thrown me, I was all set on the Intatrim seats, but have now seen the Cobra's which look nicer, hope somebody at the Exeter show will have them.....

locodude - 15/11/02 at 10:53 PM

Jasp
Intertrim seats are covered GRP so wobble about at the top. I would go for the Cobra's or Richfields like wot I have got, expensive but V. comfy (840 miles, france and back, no numb bums) and can be had in various widths. See my website for pics (build story and mods) and yes I know you've seen them in the flesh but time can cloud the memory (I still think our lass looks like page 3 material!!!)

bob - 16/11/02 at 09:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by locodude time can cloud the memory (I still think our lass looks like page 3 material!!!)

Mine too

theconrodkid - 16/11/02 at 12:31 PM

i think you will find thats alcohol not time that clouds the memory

welshy - 18/11/02 at 11:08 AM

Sorry Lads i forgot to take the pictures of the seats i was too busy polishing my valves (they are like 8 shiny mirrors looking up at me).
I will definetly get some pictures this week.

I offered the seats to the chassis over the weekend. They are a very tight fit but with a few mods i.e. re-fabricating the runners and as a last resort removing the handle which flips the seat forward.
They then should fit
(personally i think these seats are that good they are worth the hassle and when they get re-upholstered in black leather they will be the dogs danglys)

welshy - 18/11/02 at 11:11 AM

Just in case you can't wait for my pics here is a link.
Its not the best picture in the world but then again i am no David Belamy

http://www.angelfire.com/co/swiftGT/feature.html

Jasper - 18/11/02 at 12:41 PM

Checked out the Cobra's and the Intatrim at the show, and actually prefered the build quality of the Intatrim Odessey and they were much narrower (needed due to an offset Cortina diff). Also got a swanky grey vinyl pair piped in black for £240, saving £££££'s. Got em home and they fitted perfectly with no room to spare, so it was the only choice in the end for me.

They were also a much snuffer fit for my svelt figure, I rattled around in those 'armchair' Cobra's that fit you northerners with your Newcastle Brown bellies!!!!

The Richfields were lovely, but I'd rather spend the extra £100 elsewhere (like a decent bloody engine!!!)

BTW I wouldn't remmend the Intatrim Rangers, no lower back support at all....

locodude - 18/11/02 at 06:27 PM

quote:

The Richfields were lovely, but I'd rather spend the extra £100 elsewhere (like a decent bloody engine!!!)

Ok Jasper, so when's the Vulcan x-flow coming!

red_five - 24/11/02 at 07:42 PM

Thanks for the coments lads - but my budget is tight - so has anyone fitted MK fibre glass seats - what are they like - how do they fit, feel, quality etc. (i'm 6'4" and 16 stone).

Thanks.

Jasper - 25/11/02 at 03:02 PM

Hope you don't intend driving far cos your gonna have a very sore arse - you'd be better getting secondhand Bedford Rascal seats - ask Bob.

kamikaze - 9/12/02 at 11:57 AM

I work at invacare REA so i will use seat and backrest from rollachairs..

Jon Ison - 9/12/02 at 05:48 PM

cobra roadster 7's here. very comfy....i'm not lacking in the big ass dept n i fit in no prob............

red_five - 9/12/02 at 07:40 PM

Has anyone bought the "Baby Cubs" from Midland Wheels? £99 for a pair.

Viper - 9/12/02 at 08:21 PM

I fancied the cobra roadsters untill i saw the in luegos v8 the stitching along the top of the headrest was tearing itself out of the material hope this is not the norm,,,i loved the look of the new Sparco roadster seat but at £300 each i don't think i will be having them unless santa is real nice to me this year. (some hope of that0

red_five - 15/12/02 at 06:18 PM

Bought the Baby Cubs.
Small - very good for narrow chassis.
Steel frame - feel very solid.
Well made - stiching looks good.
Decepitvly comfy - better than GRP !
And only £50 each inc VAT and delivery.
Very Happy.

David Jenkins - 16/12/02 at 08:47 AM

Can you give some more info on the baby cubs?

I looked at the advert, but it didn't help much - just a crummy little picture. I had a brief look at one when I visited Triton Cars, but I didn't get a hands-on (or should that be 'bum-on'!).

What I'd really like to know is length, width and height.

Did you fit the runners? If so, how far did they lift the seat?

cheers,

David

[Edited on 16/12/02 by David Jenkins]

interestedparty - 16/12/02 at 08:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Can you gice some more info on the baby cubs?

Yeah, me too. Do you have a web address for Midland Wheels as well?

JOhn

David Jenkins - 16/12/02 at 09:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by interestedparty

Yeah, me too. Do you have a web address for Midland Wheels as well?

JOhn

Try this...

Midland Wheels

Doesn't help much - they don't show the offer on the web site! I don't know whether they're still doing it...

David

interestedparty - 16/12/02 at 11:50 AM

I just rang Midland Wheels, the baby cub seats are still in stock £50 each incl, and so I've ordered a couple with the runners (£20 each) and the guy said they will arrive tomorrow. If they do I'll post a comment about them

John

David Jenkins - 16/12/02 at 12:25 PM

Look forward to your views - the seats are the last 'big chunk of money' purchase for my car... everything else is bits & pieces.

If they're OK, then I have the money ready & waiting!

cheers,

David

red_five - 16/12/02 at 09:08 PM

I didn't buy the runners for them.
I'm going to bolt directly to the floor (there are 4 nuts welded to the steel frame - very handy).
The diemsions are as per the advert.
The seat is very narrow - 13" wide at the lower back and 12 " wide along the base.
As I said - they are comfy and seem well made - but I supose they need a few miles to tell properly.
The web site for midland wheels is www.midlandwheels.co.uk but these seats don't feature on the site. Once ordered I had them 2 days later.
I think that for £50 / seat its got to be better than making your own.

I'll try and get some close up pics done soon and post them here.

paulbeyer - 16/12/02 at 11:48 PM

Has anyone got any pictures they could post in the photos section, or email me?

interestedparty - 18/12/02 at 11:14 AM

The seats (Midland Wheels Baby Cubs)arrived yesterday afternoon, look ok, very narrow, especially the bases, but seem strong enough and well made, reasonably comfortable despite the narrowness. £150 including two sets of runners, VAT and carriage
I'm happy

John

[Edited on 18/12/02 by interestedparty]

David Jenkins - 18/12/02 at 11:25 AM

How much do the runners raise the seat?

I was planning to use runners on the driver's seat, and matching spacers on the passenger side.

cheers,

David

(I'm dangerously close to placing an order - about an hour or two!)

interestedparty - 18/12/02 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
How much do the runners raise the seat?

It's difficult to tell, exactly, but it is going to be at least 40mm, maybe 45, it'ds a quesion of providing enough clearance for the mechanism to operate. To be sure I would have to completely assemble the mechanism to a seat and I'm a bit busy with other stuff at the moment

John