Board logo

Denso alternator testing
se7ensport - 22/3/12 at 07:36 PM

I have a used Edge Caterham alternator on my Duratec, it looks just like a Nippon Denso one from a Chirade.

I can't get the ignition light to come on when not running, I have it wired correctly i.e. switched ignition+ to one side of the warning light, the other side to the lamp output on the alternator. And another switched ignition+ to the ign+ input on the alternator.

I thought I may have connected the wires around the wrong way during the build so contacted Cambridge Motorsport parts who suggested I could have killed the regulator, so i bought and fitted a new one tonight, yet the problem persists.

What tests can I do to check the alternator and regulator?

Cheers
Alex

ps connecting the warning light straight to earth does illuminate it!

JAMSTER - 22/3/12 at 07:54 PM

any help

blakep82 - 22/3/12 at 07:59 PM

what kind of warning lamp? not an LED one is it? you need a filament bulb (at least somewhere) to give the right load.
if led, it might not be letting the current the right way, as they are diodes

se7ensport - 22/3/12 at 07:59 PM

Wired exactly as type 1 and instructions: http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/shop_product.cfm/product_id/8149

Just been playing with it again and using an LED between the ignition and the lamp output will illuminate, everything I've read before implies that an LED shouldn't work?!

The dash lamp I'm using worked fine with the Pinto alternator.

Mr G - 22/3/12 at 08:03 PM

www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=115173

se7ensport - 22/3/12 at 08:31 PM

Thanks for the info, will have a further play tomorrow.

se7ensport - 23/3/12 at 08:10 PM

Looks like the alternator is dead; I'm not seeing any voltage increase with reving the engine and the lamp output remains at zero vaults when the engine is running.

As I'm reluctant to pay £200 for a replacement Edge alternator I'm looking to find an alternative, the Charade looks a promising start, but the main battery lead comes in the wrong side so re-caseing it could be an option.