Board logo

Worst car ever!!
designer - 1/9/12 at 07:13 AM

I am in Germany getting my car TUV'd (MOT'd) and have been driving the worst car I have ever driven; and I have driven a lot!

Mini Cooper!! Utter rubbish, everything about it is wrong, it's obviously a marketing master class.

Seats, steering wheel, windscreen, shiny plastic dash, everything is wrong, and it drinks petrol. Even the wife agrees, and that's a first!!

You pull up at the traffic lights and you can't see them because the roof is so far forward!!

Daddylonglegs - 1/9/12 at 07:36 AM

That's because IT'S NOT A MINI!!!

zilspeed - 1/9/12 at 07:38 AM

You've never driven a Chevrolet Spark, have you ?

emwmarine - 1/9/12 at 07:53 AM

I like the Mini.

Handles well. Lively. Bit different to most cars. Good on motorways.

The Peugeot engined ones are very good on petrol.

My cooper s went like stink and was nice in many ways.

theconrodkid - 1/9/12 at 08:30 AM

you have never driven a transit connect then,most hatefull pile of poo i have had the misfortune to drive since i had an hc viva (remember them) ?

Simon - 1/9/12 at 08:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
you have never driven a transit connect then,most hatefull pile of poo i have had the misfortune to drive since i had an hc viva (remember them) ?

Hmm, got one at work - drove it to London once and got stuck from backache. Haven't driven it since!

Worst car I had the misfortune to use was a Vauxhall Meriva. Neighbour (farm manager) had an HC and it was fine when we (me and his son) went on it - on the roof through the farm

The Mini was only ever going to be a fashion statement (read pointless), a) because it's BMW (whose vanity is beyond compare) and b) because it'll only carry two people unless what you put in the back is under a foot tall or has no legs. And all the variants BMW have come up with have already been done so nothing original either

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 1/9/12 by Simon]

MakeEverything - 1/9/12 at 09:22 AM

Most uncomfortable Van i have ever driven was a Citroen Berlingo. Backache for the passenger (Seat stays too upright) and just uncomfortable for the driver.

Slimy38 - 1/9/12 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon b) because it'll only carry two people unless what you put in the back is under a foot tall or has no legs.

I disagree, I found that if I put my knees behind my ears and didn't breath too deeply I was perfectly comfortable in the back of my friends mini...

I did find it quite entertaining when we heard the most obscene power steering whine and his response was 'they all do that'...

scootz - 1/9/12 at 10:40 AM

I appreciate you don't like the machine, but the Mini is nowhere near the worst car ever!

Not even close!

bi22le - 1/9/12 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by Simon b) because it'll only carry two people unless what you put in the back is under a foot tall or has no legs.

I disagree, I found that if I put my knees behind my ears and didn't breath too deeply I was perfectly comfortable in the back of my friends mini...

I did find it quite entertaining when we heard the most obscene power steering whine and his response was 'they all do that'...

Funny that, 'that sort of thing happens all the time with this chuffing car' was a response my friend made when his Cooper S decided to snap an inner arch clip so it started rubbing on the wheel. It took us ages to find out what it was, we thought the engine was giving up!!

He sold it soon after stating it was one of the most expensive cars he has ever owned.

Not a fan either myself. . .

David Jenkins - 1/9/12 at 12:28 PM

The daft thing about the modern Mini is that it isn't mini - it's bigger than many of the small family hatchbacks on the road!

My worst car was an Austin Maxi - it would take too long to list all the things I hated about it...

CraigJ - 1/9/12 at 01:28 PM

Other half has a 05 cooper. She loves it. Does 3-400 miles a week in it with no complaining which is rare for her.

Only driven it twice since we bought it and its no worse than any other small hatch on the market. Feels solid and handles ok.

MakeEverything - 1/9/12 at 03:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38

Is your friend called George?

D Beddows - 1/9/12 at 03:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I appreciate you don't like the machine, but the Mini is nowhere near the worst car ever!

Not even close!

+ about 200 no they're not awesome but they're a loooooong way from the worst car ever. If they were called a BMW 0 Series then people would probably like them more

Mr G - 1/9/12 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
The daft thing about the modern Mini is that it isn't mini - it's bigger than many of the small family hatchbacks on the road!

If I'm not mistaken the latest Mini Cooper S weighs more than a Ford Sierra (including the V6 XR4i etc)

woodster - 1/9/12 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

Yep it's a Bini ..... German rubbish lol

woodster - 1/9/12 at 05:08 PM

I passed my test in an Austin Allegro, now that was bad and it was mustard colour yuck

maccmike - 1/9/12 at 05:19 PM

except for the name, its a good car.
handles well, nice steering, great gear shift, and the dealerships good too.

britishtrident - 1/9/12 at 08:34 PM

Chrysler 180/Simca 160
Ford Zodiac Mk4

The Venom Project - 1/9/12 at 09:18 PM

Cooper D is awesome, and I get 75 MPG out of mine

chillis - 1/9/12 at 09:28 PM

Toyota Piuss,

no redeaming features and an environmental disaster that claims to be green, and you can't even top up the battery by plugging into the mains.

And you have to keep hooting at people with the horn 'cos they don't hear you

Bare - 2/9/12 at 02:32 AM

Dunno about a Mini Copper 's' as the worst car Certainly isn't one of the better ones though.
Have one as the office runaround car. It's not popular in the office by the way :-)
Crappy seating, Horrid Gearshifting (anyone who thinks this is 'good' deserves to drive a Deux Cheveau )
Mediocre handling, Genuine Crap oem tires Plus even with the exalted Supercharged engine ( it's older:-) performance is right up there with a Mazda 3, one not overly well driven either.
As a car dealer friend stated: Dumpy, Divorced, middle aged women love to buy them.. enough said?

[Edited on 2/9/12 by Bare]

Peteff - 2/9/12 at 08:36 AM

This thread made me think of comic book guy from the Simpsons

JoelP - 2/9/12 at 09:17 AM

I find the disagreement in this thread fascinating. Im going to buy a mini to find out for myself lol.

I very much suspect they have the same problem as apple though, people either love them or hate them.

Slimy38 - 2/9/12 at 09:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chillis
Toyota Piuss,

And you have to keep hooting at people with the horn 'cos they don't hear you

Tell me about it, I had one coming out of a car parking space that I didn't even realise had a driver in it. I was going to be helpful and chock the wheels because I thought the handbrake had failed!

MikeRJ - 2/9/12 at 10:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by woodster
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs

Yep it's a Bini ..... German rubbish lol

German rubbish manufactured in Britain!

I'm not a big fan tbh; they are quite fun to drive when working, but they have had a terrible reliability record for what is a supposed to be a premium car in it's sector. The rear legroom and boot space is utterly pitiful as well, how did they manage to make it less practical than the original?

scootz - 2/9/12 at 11:32 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
... the rear legroom and boot space is utterly pitiful as well, how did they manage to make it less practical than the original...

I'm guessing you've not been in a classic Mini for quite some time Mike!? There's no way it offers any more practicality than the current Mini.

David Jenkins - 2/9/12 at 12:25 PM

Just about everyone who experienced the old Mini knew that it was cramped and not very fast (ordinary models anyway). But it was priced accordingly so that it would appeal to the ordinary person. It was also a hoot to drive, and very safe - as long as you didn't have a serious collision with something solid, as it's passenger protection was minimal.