Board logo

reacalibrating a torque wrench
steve m - 29/1/13 at 11:10 PM

Im about to start a new engine build, and belive my torque wrench may not be correct
So is it a case of buying a new one ??

or can i have it recalibrated

regards
steve

SteveWalker - 29/1/13 at 11:16 PM

Fasten the square drive in a vice and hang a known weight a known distance from the pivot?

britishtrident - 29/1/13 at 11:43 PM

Ex-RAF Calibration gauges sometimes turn up second hand in tool stores -- but could you trust the calibration of the one.

Next easiest (but far from the most accurate) method is to hold the square drive in a vice and use a spring balance to measure the tangential force on the handle and work out the moment of the force to get the torque exerted.
It is more accurate to to use a a known weight to pull the handle via a length string running over a pulley.
The other sanity check you can do is check it against another wrench.
It might be easier just to buy a new wrench.
The head bolts on most modern engines use angular tightening following an initial torquing, for these I have a a 3/8" drive wrench with a low to medium torque range

steve m - 30/1/13 at 12:19 AM

Thanks guys

BT

Its a xflow, so not modern!!

Steve

renetom - 30/1/13 at 08:47 AM

Hi Steve
As Steve Walker said to check it
We have 2 , if you want to borrow one ,
no trouble, you have my No.
René

Stott - 30/1/13 at 09:08 AM

Just take it for calibration.

Cromwell tools have a branch in Crawley and they calibrate wrenches, ring them for a price. I used to get mine done on a mobile van when I was spannering.

Fatgadget - 30/1/13 at 06:51 PM

Out of Idle interest,What the tolerances of torque figures provided by most manufactures?

Grimsdale - 30/1/13 at 07:42 PM

cheap ones will be ±10%, i've just bought a norbar one that was advertised as ±3% but actually checked out at ±0.5%