Board logo

Tips to help new builders ?
Jon Ison - 28/4/10 at 09:09 PM

Was chatting in garage earlier with Bryn of Allyfab fame, he came over with a bonnet template to make sure the "bulge" was in the correct place and we got to talking what would you do different ?

Tip number one.

Consider building the chassis with higher top rails, most engine installations require a cut out or bulge if built to book dimensions.

Tip number two............ over to you guys.

SeanStone - 28/4/10 at 09:24 PM

Makes sure your tunnel is wide enough if you've got a big gearbox going in

boggle - 28/4/10 at 09:33 PM

tip 3.....

dont fit a pinto then decide to go bec!!!

omega0684 - 28/4/10 at 09:34 PM

buy one dont build one! but then where is the fun in that!

andylancaster3000 - 28/4/10 at 09:41 PM

I might question this one!Tip number one. Consider building the chassis with higher top rails, most engine installations require a cut out or bulge if built to book dimensions.

I reckon you have to be careful with this one. I reckon, though biased, the book Locost is one of the best proportioned seven replicas about even with a bonnet buldge, they can very easily be spoiled I reckon Just a consideration! (and an odd one for me being 'form before function' )

[Edited on 28/4/10 by andylancaster3000]

Sprytny - 28/4/10 at 09:49 PM

Consider the list of all the list of all test failures, and take this into account when building the a car...

Mark G - 28/4/10 at 09:53 PM

Make sure you have plenty of consumables at hand during the build. You never know when you might need your next nut, bolt, rivet or length of wire etc...

OX - 28/4/10 at 09:55 PM

When your putting it on ask your self ' how easy can i take it back off once the car is fully built'

James - 28/4/10 at 10:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
I might question this one!Tip number one. Consider building the chassis with higher top rails, most engine installations require a cut out or bulge if built to book dimensions.

I reckon you have to be careful with this one. I reckon, though biased, the book Locost is one of the best proportioned seven replicas about even with a bonnet buldge, they can very easily be spoiled I reckon Just a consideration! (and an odd one for me being 'form before function' )

Agreed- sorry Jon!

I added 1" to the top of my car.... really regret this now and have been considering how to remove it with minimal hassle!

A bulge would look nicer.

Cheers,
James

alistairolsen - 29/4/10 at 06:41 AM

I built the outer chassis which is limited by the bodywork, but wont build the tunnel or engine support rails until the engine and gearbox are in place. To my mind a must if you're going supersize on the engine!

Dont underestimate the time spent making and fitting brackets, fitting my seats took as long as the whole front end of the chassis frame!

iank - 29/4/10 at 06:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

Agreed- sorry Jon!

I added 1" to the top of my car.... really regret this now and have been considering how to remove it with minimal hassle!

Cheers,
James

Sadly you can't alter the chassis, to that extent, without an IVA.

iank - 29/4/10 at 06:52 AM

Tip take some time to get your build environment tidy and organised. If possible make sure you have enough room to walk around the car comfortably without having to shuffle sideways.

daviep - 29/4/10 at 06:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
quote:

Agreed- sorry Jon!

Cheers,
James

Of course you can, nobody will ever know and we won't tell on you

fesycresy - 29/4/10 at 07:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
Makes sure your tunnel is wide enough if you've got a big gearbox going in

Make sure your tunnel is as narrow as possible for a nice big footwell.

CEC's need not apply

coozer - 29/4/10 at 07:26 AM

Try and think OEM as much as possible when building.....

tegwin - 29/4/10 at 08:22 AM

Measure thrice, check twice and cut once!

Take time over everything you do on the car, you dont want to rush to get a piece finished only for it to bug you for ages because its not quite as perfect as you could have managed!!

Jon Ison - 29/4/10 at 08:34 AM

mmmmmmmmm, healthy debate, maybe I will like the bulge better than I would have higher top rails ?

speedyxjs - 29/4/10 at 09:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by boggle
tip 3.....

dont fit a pinto then decide to go bec!!!

Dont you mean 'dont decide to go BEC'?

David Jenkins - 29/4/10 at 09:43 AM

If you think that you will want a windscreen, but don't want it fitted when doing the IVA, install everything during the build while it's relatively easy. Once it's there and working nicely, take photos, uninstall and pack it all away nicely. Use plastic plugs and things to make it look like you're not intending to fit a screen to keep the tester happy.

DO NOT try installing a screen 4 years later, as I did!

pewe - 29/4/10 at 09:55 AM

Work on the premise you are going to take one-step forward and two back.....
And when you reach the stage of thinking "Why the b*gggery b*llocks am I doing this?" just remember there are lots of builders out there who've finished and come back with a big idiot grin on their faces after each blat.
Cheers, Pewe

geeksandlies - 29/4/10 at 10:01 AM

Ensure you have permission from 'er indoors?!?

Ensure you come on here to have the renowned BEC vs CEC debate? (oddly i haven't yet but then i haven't asked the dreaded question only poped up with random ideas after the strike me)

Buy a t-shirt?

Get adopted by a builder on here? (What happened to that thread?)

Research, research, research!

Marcus - 29/4/10 at 11:44 AM

I you're welding your own chassis, BUY all the suspension brackets!!!

I took far too long making all mine from 40mm x 3mm flat stock when I could have been doing other things!!

eddie99 - 29/4/10 at 12:29 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Agreed- sorry Jon!

Cheers,
James

That can only come from an IVA inspector

alistairolsen - 29/4/10 at 12:42 PM

If you have space, dont strip the donor straight away, having non running engines lying for 2+ years is less than ideal!

iank - 29/4/10 at 01:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agreed- sorry Jon!

Cheers,
James

That can only come from an IVA inspector

I wish
I was speaking from a purely legal point of view, since people from VOSA (and presumably the DVLA) have been known to read this forum implying you're going to break their rules means you need to be aware of the risks.
Though it's not quite as obvious as putting an MK onto a dutton V5.

mid-buggy - 29/4/10 at 08:58 PM

I am a new (re-)builder, my tip is to ask as many questions as you need.

Some may be daft but fingers crossed I will get the answers that will help make the build easier.

RK - 29/4/10 at 09:26 PM

In case it hasn't been explicitly stated: "Read your IVA rules prior to starting any build".

You don't want to get caught out after all your hard work. It will make your life so hard if you don't, that you may want to just give up completely (with a very expensive garage ornament) as I have done with mine (in Canada).

Vindi_andy - 30/4/10 at 10:48 AM

My tip would be when doing any metal panel work use cardboard engineering first. i.e. make it in stiff cardborad first you can get very big sheets of this cheaper than a new sheet of ali, especially if you work for a company that uses big crdboard boxes

rusty nuts - 30/4/10 at 06:53 PM

Get a good first aid kit!

Angel Acevedo - 1/5/10 at 04:08 AM

As much as possible.
Forums, books, General Automotive...
Knowledge is power.