Board logo

What do you do for a living?
bigdrew - 25/6/19 at 08:23 PM

I can't image too many sitting behind a desk on here - So I am intrigued what do you do!?

There must be some pretty varied and interesting jobs..

I work for a large aerospace engineering firm looking after and programming a handful of CMM's (Co-ordinate Measuring Machines)

(Sorry if this has been done before and I've missed it!)

r1_pete - 25/6/19 at 08:56 PM

Spent my working life in IT building & maintaining high end mainframe systems.

Retired 12 years early 2.5 years ago, never looked back...

myke pocock - 25/6/19 at 09:09 PM

Retired!!! Thats a job.

Schrodinger - 25/6/19 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Retired!!! Thats a job.

Ditto
But used to work in an office

r1_pete - 25/6/19 at 09:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Retired!!! Thats a job.

Yeah its a tough one...

Spend most mornings planning the days activity...

And the afternoons rescheduling it to tomorrow

SteveWalker - 25/6/19 at 09:20 PM

I do sit behind a desk!

I am an Control and Instrumentation Engineer and have worked specifying, designing, checking and approving other people's designs, etc. for control panels, systems, motor control centres, field instrumentation and cabling in various industries, including petrochemicals, pharmaceuticals, potable water, waste water, general industrial and nuclear.

These days it consists almost mainly of writing specifications for hardware, software and processes and checking other people's designs.

SteveW

SJ - 25/6/19 at 09:20 PM

Sales and marketing for a large IT vendor. Spend a fair amount of time desk bound, but also get to travel a bit as I cover EMEA and occasionally need to go to the US.

myke pocock - 25/6/19 at 09:47 PM

Yep, planning when to take a brew, what time is lunch, does the dog need one or two walks, can I afford some bits for all my cars etc. Lifes a real bummer when you are retired. OH forgot the hassle of getting a doctors appointment, taking twice as long to walk to the end of the road, falling asleep in the chair, remembering to take all the tablets, getying awl mie wordz spelt rong, taking all day to do a job that used to take half the day. Its a tough job this retirement lark!!!!

40inches - 25/6/19 at 10:34 PM

I'm in the retired business, and doing very well thank you

pigeondave - 25/6/19 at 10:46 PM

Structural engineer

I do as little as possible as the computer does it all for me, the most I have to do is press the design button.

When I did smaller stuff, often the builder would tell me what to do as he knows best and we over design everything anyway.

Now I'm on bigger things it useless Architects who can't make up their minds.

Any youngsters reading this. Don't go in to structural engineering, do accountancy or learn to code.

[Edited on 25/6/19 by pigeondave]

se7ensport - 25/6/19 at 10:58 PM

Predominantly desk bound IT consultant; requirements through to implementation. Screensaver on client laptop is my car at full tilt spitting flames.

Spend the last 7 years very close to the aerospace industry, but far from a typical aero engineer; I can improvise and fully practical in that I can weld and regularly make bucks for fibreglass items.

IT provides the funds, don’t assume that sitting behind a desk makes you incompetent at engineering. That said there are plenty out there, especially as you get towards competition, that have money and no mechanical sympathy or ability to build themselves.

Abe - 25/6/19 at 11:03 PM

Interesting, I was going to ask this question at some point
Used to be a mechanic/restoration and apprenticed at DK engineering working on Ferrari’s etc (many moons ago now) now I’m a self employed Rehabilitation Engineer contractor for various NHS wheelchair services around the country, I design, make, install and program special control systems for disabled people among other things. Lots of modifications to seating systems, plastic work, foam work, metal work etc. Interesting job working with physiotherapists and other healthcare teams.

[Edited on 25/6/19 by Abe]

[Edited on 25/6/19 by Abe]

[Edited on 26/6/19 by Abe]

watsonpj - 25/6/19 at 11:07 PM

Yep mainly desk work here. Started in mechanical engineering, then systems engineering and now a technical director making downhole tools for the oil industry.
It's great to get out in the garage and get my hands dirty as opposed to reading specs and writing reports etc and do stuff in an unstructured way.

Sam_68 - 25/6/19 at 11:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pigeondave
Now I'm on bigger things it useless Architects who can't make up their minds.

Any youngsters reading this. Don't go in to structural engineering...

I started my career in a Structural Engineers' office, but quickly realised that I didn't want to play second fiddle in the design team to the Architect, whilst getting paid a lot less for the privilege.

I now run my own architectural practice and planning consultancy, and am bloody glad I made the move.

Eddie1978 - 25/6/19 at 11:51 PM

I get to stand about waiting for things to break.

I work for a plant manufacturer and my job is to be on call, I cover mechanical issues, but fluid power and auto electrics are my speciality.

Its a strange job I can spend all week wandering about drinking coffee and not open the toolbox but then you get a shift from hell, its always been all or nothing,

nero1701 - 26/6/19 at 06:45 AM

Started out as a mechanical engineering workshop technician...
Then Technical Sales of PLC and Automation equipment

Now a teacher of Electronic Engineering, 3D Design, CAD, Engineering Science, Mechatronics, Further Math and Electrical Science..

I want to retire but my car habit keeps me poor

steve m - 26/6/19 at 06:52 AM

Spent 38 years behind a desk, working as a Crew controller, for 3 airlines its a poo job, and VERY stressful

Took redundancy 3 years ago, and now deliver Brand new cars all over the south ish of England

I love my job and life now, and now only do 4 days a week, Money isn't very good, and its a zero hours contract, but suits me fine ! as its true, money isn't everything

I would recommend any one who is in a poo or stressful job, get out now, and do something you enjoy

My plan is next year when im 60, is to drop to 2 or 3 days a week, and draw some pension to supplement

steve

T66 - 26/6/19 at 07:23 AM

As a school leaver I went straight into the garage, served my time as an HGV fitter. Got paid off 4 years later, a year on the dole, then joined the Police. Did my 30 years, 24/7 uniform, tech surveillance, and then my last 10 years on helicopters.

Retired just over 2 years ago, and if Im honest it has taken me quite a while to adjust. Drove for ASDA for 3 weeks and left, worked in an aircraft paintshop for 6 months and left.

Now I just go fishing, and move things round in my garage. Totally get the other retirement comments.

snapper - 26/6/19 at 07:30 AM

So far a lot of engineering and IT

I’ll change that, I’m a qualified Photographer and Associate of the British Institute of Professional Photography, I have been doing this for 45 years now (scary isn’t it) mostly salaried but some periods of freelancing. I have been working for the U.K. MOD since 1990 in different locations and roles.
It’s much tougher than it sounds but it’s been a good career so far.

nick205 - 26/6/19 at 07:32 AM

Early working life as an electronics and PCB engineer (behind a desk).

The moved to a sales role involving much traveling by car and plane.

Now work in a sales management role (back behind a desk). A head injury and resulting epilepsy = no driving now so the previous role came to an end.

Unusually in this day and age I've stayed with the same employer throughout. I've seen company's management come and go and the company go bust and re-evolve. Sometimes interesting, sometimes boring and sometimes I think perhaps I should move on. Still here and still working though!

nick205 - 26/6/19 at 07:37 AM

For comparison one of my brother in laws left the British Army a few years ago after serving his 22 year stint. He's transitioned to civilian life and work now, but I know he found it quite a challenge. He'd got very used to being allowed to shout at new recruits during training. In civilian working life he found this adjustment difficult - people in his team got offended when he shouted at them

T66 - 26/6/19 at 07:48 AM

I cannot put my finger on exactly what it is that caused me the problem transitioning back to being human, the Police does have similarities with the Military. Certainly dont miss the nightshifts, cancelled rest days or zero family time.

Must dash the grass needs cut....

Ivan - 26/6/19 at 08:03 AM

Retired municipal engineer at 52 - been 18 years now - still regularly head hunted for consulting or advisory purposes. Try to limit working to only 6 months a year and then only from home.

BenB - 26/6/19 at 08:20 AM

Definitely desk job- work as a GP. I actually spend a fair proportion of my time in meetings (more sitting down!) but I do occasionally get to see real live patients. It's good to keep one's hand in (insert obligatory gynaecology joke here).

Camber Dave - 26/6/19 at 08:36 AM

Personally I have been 53 years on the Spanners. Apprenticeship on lorries (as they used to be called).
Then Lotus dealership and many garages in Bristol.
Parallel career as mechanic in club motorport in spare time. Later full time (well Feb till Oct’s !) on a team for 4 years.
I have been paid to work on every type of 4 wheel vehicle from a 1902 Showmans Traction engine to a ground up rebuild of a Copersucar F1 car.
Hoping to retire at 70 and finish my Sylva Leader project.

My kitcar customers are mostly as previously posted. With high proportion of I T related occupations.
As you would expect from West Country area, a lot of aircraft and helicopter engineers.
Also many employed by the MOD and their contactors.
Probably about 30% of my customers are retired.

big-vee-twin - 26/6/19 at 08:46 AM

Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Consultant. I have my own practice I work closely with Developers, Architects and Structural Engineers to design large buildings of all types.

JAG - 26/6/19 at 08:47 AM

I'm a Chartered Engineer and I design Brake Calipers for a large Car Manufacturer. I sit behind a desk most of the day, the rest is spent in meetings and making coffee!

I've been in automotive design since 1995. Prior to that I worked in Air Compressor design (Hydrovane) and I was an Engineering Apprentice at a forging company.

hughpinder - 26/6/19 at 08:49 AM

Started off as a Chemical Engineer, but got involved in batch automation, originally as staff, went self employed 30 years ago. After a couple of years I got a 3 month contract (renewable daily thereafter) on a pharmaceutical plant, been here ever since! Plant is closing at the end of next year so who knows what is next!

Charlie_Zetec - 26/6/19 at 09:22 AM

After university ran a pub bar, then worked for local Mercedes dealership in the parts department, went to join the Police (was accepted on graduate scheme, but turned it down), went into IT (secure data eradication speciality), before ending up in GRP/fibreglass laminates (mostly for commercial vehicles but includes storage tanks, swimming pools, industrial cladding, rooflights etc.), and been doing that for the past 7.5 years....

Abe - 26/6/19 at 09:56 AM

Great thread. Enjoying this

andrew.carwithen - 26/6/19 at 11:43 AM

Electrical fitter by trade.
Early years serving my apprenticeship and working in the Naval base in Plymouth.
Latter years working for BT before having to take early retirement on medical grounds - and for the last two years since, starting up and running my own business as a kit car manufacturer.

Mr Whippy - 26/6/19 at 11:44 AM

Engineering planner for a company who maintain & refurbish offshore cranes in the North Sea. My day is spent creating/updating schedules, going to progress meetings or wandering round the workshops to see how things are really going, which is much more reliable than asking engineers for progress

Although on Monday I just got a new job with their bitter rivals and am starting in a months time with a 10k pay increase It's going to cause utter chaos when I leave but hay ho got to look after yourself...

However in a couple of years (or sooner) the plan is to completely take over the family business from my folks of building houses & renovating flats full time and stop this office nonsense for good, before these screens knackers my eye's

Mash - 26/6/19 at 12:54 PM

Started work in 1969 as a trainee Quantity Surveyor, hated it and moved into being a Civil Engineering Technician, Bad move money wise, but much more interesting. Worked on various heavy civils jobs for 10 years, including Hartlepool and Heysham NPS where I ended up staying for 7 of them, then moved to local authority (Lancaster) for another 10 years in drainage design.

Moved south in 1990, and worked for Bournemouth BC, at first in the engineers department, and then for IT after qualifying as an MCSE just after the salaries started to get worse. Finally retired in 2014 having spent the last 7 years as Email administrator, running about 4000 desktops, really stressy.

Also did 12 years in the reserves, Army first then RAF, and managed to survive 6 months in a really hot deserty place

Got a part time job as a fire fighter in Dorset just before I retired, and still do that, and still work with the cadets. Build classic motor bike wheels in my spare time, no wonder I don't have time to finish re-building my Indy

swanny - 26/6/19 at 01:54 PM

Office jockey here!
13 years working for an engineering company, technical sales, CAD etc. Now done 13 years at a University helping businesses access academic experts and government money to do exciting R&D projects. travel about abit which is great, but trapped in the office all week this week!

Partofthechaos - 26/6/19 at 02:33 PM

Lots of interesting roles so far!

My job is a little different, I project manage the clean up of oil leaks, mainly domestic. Away from the gas pipe lines people have a tank of oil in their garden. If that leaks, the pipe or boiler fails, or there is an issue during a delivery we sort it out.

Initial response, organising contractors, scientific assessment, reporting, regulator communication, budgets, groundwater remediation etc. The role requires a wide range of responsibilities. We are responsible for taking people's houses apart and putting them back together again, minus the oil.

There is some desk work, but also lots of site work and driving about which suits me fine. Though I am looking forward to retiring. Only another 30 years!

David Jenkins - 26/6/19 at 02:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
It's good to keep one's hand in (insert obligatory gynaecology joke here).

David Jenkins - 26/6/19 at 02:53 PM

I started as a BT apprentice (actually it was Post Office Telephones when I started) in Swansea. Worked my way through the ranks until I was dealing with computer systems that churned out statistics in London. Got promoted to the Ipswich area, involved first with software research, then QA (ISO9001). Offered voluntary redundancy, grabbed it with both hands and ran.

Ended up as a self-employed contractor, commuting into London, mostly dealing with Y2K and ISO9001. Enjoyed every aspect of this, apart from the commute - I was on a 60+ hour week when you added in the train times (that's when they worked properly).

Eventually spent a few years in Shenfield, so a much shorter commute. Got pee'd off eventually after a buy-out by a Danish firm, so got a job in Ipswich - for 2 weeks! I'd never seen such an incompetent firm...

Coincidentally I saw my financial adviser while in the last job - he asked what I'd like to do with my life, and I said I'd retire tomorrow if I could (I wasn't receiving state pension then). His reply was "you could retire, if you're not stupid with your money". Guess what I did... best move I ever made.

So, to summarise, I'm now retired and enjoying nearly every minute of it (learning that I had prostate cancer took the edge off the enjoyment last year).

[Edited on 26/6/19 by David Jenkins]

nick205 - 26/6/19 at 03:04 PM

I'm enjoying the variety in this thread. I also like to see that there's a good few retired people still tinkering with cars as well. Some days I look forward to being retired other days I'm OK with going to work. I find that working with some good natured people helps things seem alright.

David Jenkins - 26/6/19 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I'm enjoying the variety in this thread. I also like to see that there's a good few retired people still tinkering with cars as well. Some days I look forward to being retired other days I'm OK with going to work. I find that working with some good natured people helps things seem alright.

For me, the best bit of being a contractor was the honesty of it - if I was doing the job to an acceptable standard my contract got renewed; if not I would get the push. No 'corporate values' or 'appraisement bullshit' involved. Most of my contracts were 12 months or longer, none under 6 months.

JC - 26/6/19 at 03:23 PM

24 years as a pilot in the RAF, left 5 years ago and now watch the world go by in a corporate jet. Thought I’d have more free time to build cars but landed a management job in addition to flying......have just quit that so hopefully more garage time...

HowardB - 26/6/19 at 04:27 PM

used to design polymer components for the oil and gas industry and now I do "sales" for a 3D CAD package - variety is the spice of life

not quite ready to retire

JeffHs - 26/6/19 at 05:20 PM

Long retired from OP's employer where I was desk bound but in Engineering so close to the interesting bits. Started 1st car build years ago ( 2 seater Citroen 2CV Special based on 'The Book', drove it a bit, got bored and started the Locost. Got the opportunity to retire very early with a good package then finished the Locost, started and finished the Auster rebuild, extended and rebuilt my house. Latest projects were a plywood open canoe built entirely from wood I had lying around and this winter I've designed and built a sailing rig for it. Tried it last week in Derwentwater. It's a bit tippy! Sold the 2CV Special last summer, still haven't bought an MX5 but I keep looking.
Looking for another project!

scudderfish - 26/6/19 at 05:23 PM

I've been in IT since I left uni in 92. Saw a surprising amount of the world as a programmer and did a year in Sydney with it. I've now moved into 'management' (I tend to describe myself as team butler rather than team leader) for Ocado on the website rather than the fancy robots. I got into cars & kit cars as I found software too ephemeral, I couldn't touch anything I made and that annoyed me.

Joshy - 26/6/19 at 05:58 PM

I'm a mechanical design engineer, working for a bespoke automation machinery company, mostly serving clients in the pharma/medical industries. Graduated uni in 2015, so I'm still pretty fresh into the workforce! A lot of my job is sat at the desk working the CAD machine or in meetings, but happily I do get into the workshop occasionally to make parts for proof-of-principle rigs or to fit/assemble modules for commercial machines.

Cars have been a life-long passion however, thanks to my dad, and his support (and use of garage space) was invaluable during building my Roadster!

SteveWalker - 26/6/19 at 07:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

For me, the best bit of being a contractor was the honesty of it - if I was doing the job to an acceptable standard my contract got renewed; if not I would get the push. No 'corporate values' or 'appraisement bullshit' involved. Most of my contracts were 12 months or longer, none under 6 months.

Yes, I've been contracting for 18 years. It's great to not have to bother with the annual appraisals, targets for improvement and training, etc. of the staff in all the places I've been. Also, despite it costing me money, to just decide "I've had enough today, I'm going home early."

miskit - 26/6/19 at 08:28 PM

In order...
IT Sales
Superyacht engineer
.com entrepreneur
Singlehanded Sailor/Ocean racer
Race boat building operation
...Then gourmet mushroom farming. Just sold that business so I am now an unemployed layabout, looking for my next venture...

[Edited on 26/6/19 by miskit]

femster87 - 26/6/19 at 08:56 PM

EXOTIC DANCER

T66 - 26/6/19 at 09:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by femster87
EXOTIC DANCER

Fake news ? or pictures ......

jeffw - 26/6/19 at 09:17 PM

Weapons Engineering Artificer in the Royal Navy, disabled out and then worked in IT since 1989. Currently working as an IT Security Consultant for Investment Banks.

nick205 - 27/6/19 at 08:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by T66
quote:
Originally posted by femster87
EXOTIC DANCER

Fake news ? or pictures ......

Well nothing in femster87's photo archive seems to suggest any exotic dancing (maybe LCB isn't the place to share such photos though).

MikeR - 27/6/19 at 12:19 PM

Started off as a programmer and slowly got more responsibility till I was a product manager with about 15 people working for me. Then got made redundant. Then got a job as a project manager and got made redundant. Then went contracting as an IT project manager. Had some good contracts, had some stressful contracts.

Currently wishing I was permie and doing the annual reviews etc cause I'm sick of the long days in the office and 2 hours driving a day, then not really seeing the family (or garage).

Irony - 27/6/19 at 12:36 PM

Exhibition Design Office Manager.

Started off my career building theme park rides and got made redundant, Odd jobbed doing landscape gardening and then moved into exhibition design. Been doing that for fifteen years. Its stressful and full on but very very varied. Two days ago I was building a 'Dinosaur Encounter', today I am building a Pitch 'n' Putt game for the Scottish Open.......

Blatant Plug Below.

Dinosaur Event Linky

Dick Axtell - 27/6/19 at 02:44 PM

Served engineering apprenticeship with the then British Motor Corp. (Nuffield apprentice). Stayed on for a year, (you can get bored working on diesel engines, when they're based on a defunct design!). Moved on, but within motor industry, finishing up as combined design/development engineer. So some time working in the office, with plenty of CAD work, and fair amount of time down in the workshop, for development work. That involved loads of product testing. Mix that lot in with supporting (& sometimes working with) joint venture associate companies and licensees.

Involuntarily retired 18 years ago, which enabled me to spend my available time on the Locost project. When not helping out offspring, wife, gardening, holidaying, being "low-cost" child-minders for the offsprings' offspring, rebuilding a website for a classic vehicle club (and then running it!!), and meeting up with similarly retired ex-colleagues, to moan about much of the foregoing.

Still better than HAVING to work!

sdh2903 - 27/6/19 at 08:57 PM

Aircraft maintenance engineer.

Started out in aircraft manufacture working at Bae working on 146/RJ/RJX and the ill fated nimrod mra4. Then did 4 years base maintenance then 13 years and counting out on the line. Some days spent drinking coffee and very little happening and others you're on the go for 12hrs+. Absolutely love the job and the opportunities it has brought.

Can't see me doing anything else to be honest, although I'd love to get off night shifts.

peter030371 - 27/6/19 at 09:01 PM

Started off as a storeman in 1989 managing electronic parts in and out, progressed through product test and then design and now I own the business and employ about 20+ people.... Not what I expected or ever planned to do but it pays the bills!

bi22le - 27/6/19 at 10:31 PM

Great thread, very interesting.

With over 50 replies in 2 days it shows that this forum is busy but people ( like me) only engage when we want to. We are all in here regularly though!

So my turn. First proper job ( after pizza hut delivery and telesales) was as an autoelectrician. I loved it, did max power / revs feature cars, cruises. Top end trackers and alarms. All of that stuff.

I then became a Rehabilitation Engineer like Abe. Which is weird as it's a small industry so I probably knew him!!

I left there and now work for a global medical devices company as a product designer in R&D. Another cracking job doing mechanical engineering style work with manufacturing, project managment and human factors engineering thrown in. At 36 im starting to feel a change coming on. I quite fancy starting my own company's selling a novel consumer product I have tucked up my sleeve. I'll secure a patent, seek investment and give it my best shot at trying to become a millionaire.

Anyone fancy backing me?!

[Edited on 27/6/19 by bi22le]

liam.mccaffrey - 28/6/19 at 10:03 AM

I studied maths at uni then switched to mech eng in 2nd year. Once I graduated in 2004 I entered the oil and gas industry working in oil refineries and storage facilities. I'm now an inspection engineer at an oil refinery. Working on asset inspection, design, repair and maintenance, for pipes, pressure vessels, reactors, heat exchangers, fired heaters. My main area of expertise though is storage tanks. Quite a niche area but it has taken me all over the world and to some really interesting places.

mads - 28/6/19 at 12:50 PM

Clinician working within the healthcare technology sector.

Spent a few years working in the NHS and then moved into private sector working for software development firm as Subject Matter Expert > Product Owner > Product Manager > Solutions Director.

trextr7monkey - 28/6/19 at 12:52 PM

And now for something completely different

A degree in agriculture with special interest in pigs gave me 10 years running huge commercial pig farm, lecturing about pigs in a college then a change of location meant 5 years on the road selling pigs to farmers.
Took a year out and retrained as a nursery and primary teacher. Taught infants for 10 years using the long holiday s to work on a variety of kit car projects and this coincided with my own children. Moved up to secondary level and ran the Technology department in a private school for 17 years. Retired last year aged 60 still got 3 spare hobby cars and 7 lathes and am writing this from a ship cruising the Baltic
I miss the facilities I had at work and the space as well as the banter from the lads and older pupils. I don’t miss the political interference and managers who had no understanding of how a practical subject is taught!!
Atb
Mike

[Edited on 28/6/19 by trextr7monkey]

martylemoo - 29/6/19 at 03:59 AM

I work onboard a 70mtr world cruising super yacht, currently on the way to Tahiti.

phelpsa - 29/6/19 at 12:07 PM

I engineer & design race cars. Mainly office based but with some good perks.

Benzine - 29/6/19 at 03:31 PM

Beetroot. I'm in the beetroot business. I'm a supplier, to M&S, Sainsbury's, Tesco, all the big stores. Both types. Crinkly and balls. Beetroot's been very good to me.

G13BLocost - 29/6/19 at 04:16 PM

After five years of being a Formula 1 engineer (Simulators and driver training) I am now a robotics engineer making high throughput machines for laboratories. Love the work, the people and the extra time it gives me with friends/family/garage.

When it comes to car setup and tyres there is very little I don't know and I was fortunate to work with some really big names. Sadly the internet will always call you a fool no matter your experience

WanchaiWarrior - 4/7/19 at 10:53 PM

Structural Draftsman.

Started on the board in 1984, moved onto MicroStation and Autocad and recently Revit
,left the UK in '96 to live and work in Hong Kong, then Australia and currently in New Zealand.

iant88 - 5/7/19 at 07:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Beetroot. I'm in the beetroot business. I'm a supplier, to M&S, Sainsbury's, Tesco, all the big stores. Both types. Crinkly and balls. Beetroot's been very good to me.

Brilliant !!

What a way to end a post ................. Beetroot's been very good to me

I suppose I should put mine up - aircraft industry since leaving college - mostly military jets (20+ years) but now in civil nacelles for the last 18 years (mostly thrust reversers). Background is manufacturing and materials R&D. Really struggling to start my build but when I do (probably when I retire in 5ish years) it will be a Midlana with an as yet undefined engine.

Currently keeping myself busy in the garage with a VW T25 restoration (engine is in a million pieces and the mig is being worked hard), an old 1 litre Pug 205 that I think needs a gearbox rebuild, keeping my VW T5 in a suitable condition for me and 'er indoors to attend various beer & music festivals and repairing youngest lads Golf TDi which has just lost oil pressure ..... and the most satisfying bit ...... building 100cc 2-stroke kart engines for a variety of people. Busy, busy, busy

[Edited on 5/7/19 by iant88]

Tazzzzman1 - 5/7/19 at 12:36 PM

Started my career as a fitter/ toolmaker working on Tobacco machinery, Several jobs later got into electronics assembly and spent 25+ years in electronics manufacturing at engineering/ management levels.
After several career moves ended up working for a Tier1 supplier for automotive Mechatronics in quality management roles (designing and manufacturing car internal switch's etc).
Now working as a Supplier development engineer for Borgwarner turbo's. Very different and a real challenge. Lots of worldwide travel sorting out issues/ problem solving and developing suppliers. Much more to turbo's than I ever thought possible.

Before anyone asks no I cant get them cheap

Benzine - 5/7/19 at 04:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iant88
What a way to end a post ................. Beetroot's been very good to me

Just after a minute in is the beetroot:

On a serious note, I build houses.

[Edited on 5-7-2019 by Benzine]

big_wasa - 5/7/19 at 05:14 PM

Well I’ve always known I was a petrol head but I didn’t think as a kid I would earn a living moving flammable liquids around the country.

Favourite job for a while was a pawn broker

Moorron - 6/7/19 at 04:39 PM

I do CAD in Solidworks for about 18 years now but have moved around a few companies. Finally I have found one local to me which is worth more than the extra pay I could get further a field. 3 miles to work means I am home 5 minutes after kicking out time and I can also run/cycle back if I want.

Below is a vid of what we do, I have done two artic units myself now and a dozen or so trailers and smaller motorised units. All one off designs in a tough learning curve environment. Stressful with regards to deadlines but all fun and no day is the same.

https://youtu.be/mvGkmrNqVII

jps - 7/7/19 at 11:23 AM

At the moment i'm a 'Programme Manager' working at a university. I work on a project (any PM types feel free to point out the discrepancy) which is mostly about getting academics working with businesses on projects.

Prior to this i spent my career working in the public sector on various things to do with research/data/intelligence in policing/community safety/public policy: doing research and mapping, managing people who did research, working on projects/schemes/etc mostly about increasing public safety. I've learnt a fair bit about data, and all the things that go around it like governance and legal frameworks.

I often wish I could shift into something mechnical-related, but i'm late 30's with a young family to support and apart from the wide (but shallow!) learning i've done in working on my Haynes, I don't have any kind of background or formal training since my GCSE in Resistant Materials back in 1998. So it seems massively unrealistic to switch careers without becoming entirely skint in the process.

nick205 - 8/7/19 at 02:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
At the moment i'm a 'Programme Manager' working at a university. I work on a project (any PM types feel free to point out the discrepancy) which is mostly about getting academics working with businesses on projects.

A few years ago we had a university student join us for around 10 months on a "Knowledge Transfer Partnership" (KTP) scheme. He brought in some academic EMC expertise to our electronic and PCB design processes. It did us as a company quite a lot of good and gave him some real world work experience as well (he's since gone on to become very successful in the medical electronics field, working for a large multinational company).

Is that the kind of thing you're working on?

DanP - 8/7/19 at 08:41 PM

Chartered Electronics engineer working as Director of Engineering at a small semiconductor company on the south coast, we do the silicon chips that power the display's and touch screen's of mobile phones, tablets, laptops etc.

I love some of the career changes that people have had on this thread, I'm looking to move into web software so we can relocate abroad and this thread makes me believe it's possible!

swanny - 9/7/19 at 11:23 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jps

A few years ago we had a university student join us for around 10 months on a "Knowledge Transfer Partnership" (KTP) scheme. He brought in some academic EMC expertise to our electronic and PCB design processes. It did us as a company quite a lot of good and gave him some real world work experience as well (he's since gone on to become very successful in the medical electronics field, working for a large multinational company).

Im the KTP manager at Nottingham Uni, glad to hear the scheme worked well for you

nick205 - 9/7/19 at 01:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by swanny
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Im the KTP manager at Nottingham Uni, glad to hear the scheme worked well for you

It certainly did - IIRC the guy was at The University of Leicester at the time.

jps - 12/7/19 at 05:07 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jps

Essentially yes - but not KTP specifically, the project i'm on is doing a range of things, none of them to the size/scale of KTPs. Good to hear you've had a good experience with KTP though!

swanny - 13/7/19 at 07:59 AM

JPS do you know Robert Walker at Essex Uni?

Marcus - 17/7/19 at 11:43 AM

I was an electronics repair guy working for Dixons / Currys for 13 years, made redundant just as I was about to start the Locost project. Now been at a plastic plumbing products manufacturing company for 17 years in various roles, currently technical support engineer looking after moulding / extrusion machines, Lab equipment and camera inspection systems. Between these, I also deal with customer complaints. Can't wait to retire!!

jps - 24/12/19 at 10:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by swanny
JPS do you know Robert Walker at Essex Uni?

Yes i do. Small world!

v8kid - 24/12/19 at 03:43 PM

Currently I'm an egghead living in an ivory tower but before that was a design manager and before that a group head and before that a project engineer and before that a technical sales engineer.

I always managed to move on before I was caught out

Physics research is the dogs nutsack though as I actually get paid to play with million pound machines and nobody says anything when they break! (apart from fix it!)

Retirement is overrated in my opinion I found it boring.

Cheers!

phil clegg - 26/12/19 at 12:31 PM

Mot tester. Cars and vans. 2000+ a year. Test only 3 kit cars including my own. I am surprised at how few builders are actually mechanics tech car guys etc.

perksy - 26/12/19 at 02:16 PM

Served apprenticeship as a Jig & Toolmaker and worked for approx 20 years in the Automotive industry specialising in Car body panels, Press and assembly tooling etc
Had to work shifts for many years though and formed the opinion that working nights is for Badgers, Pimps and Prostitutes

Then moved into the Double glazing & Conservatory business (Design, Manufacture and Installation)
Last 15 years I've been with the Maintenance team at the local NHS Hospital, Hopefully this will now see me to retirement...

[Edited on 26/12/19 by perksy]

PAULD - 26/12/19 at 06:45 PM

I make models, instrumentation and equipment for a wind tunnel facility, semi retired now. Really interesting job, never bored nearly all one offs. Sad thing is no-one has been found to replace me despite me pushing to pass my knowledge on for 10 years. Ah well too late now.

Heckler - 26/12/19 at 09:42 PM

In the RAF, currently I'm an Airbourne Ground Engineer on one of these...

Basically I fly around the world with the aircraft and fix it when it breaks (waits for all the jokes....) - and single handed responsible for all maintenance and air worthyiness when away from UK.