Board logo

Glue that flexes?
jps - 4/11/19 at 05:56 PM

Not car related - but definitely 'locost' in that I have a nice coat (Sprayway) that I am trying to repair. On the cuffs it has velcro on the sleeve and a short rubber tag - with a velcro backing strip. This is so that you can pull the cuffs tight when necessary. The velcro on the back of the rubber taghas come away - so I want to glue it together. But I will need a glue that stays flexible when set.

Any ideas? I've tried the stuff that comes in a bicycle puncture repair kit - but it did not adhere to the rubber strip, or to the material with the velcro on one side...

cliftyhanger - 4/11/19 at 06:28 PM

Sikaflex/tigerseal?
Used it on shoes.... but probably not as much movement. Or contact adhesive?

gremlin1234 - 4/11/19 at 06:34 PM

evostik would be the normal first answer.

I needed a flexible bridging adhesive recently, and for that blue-tak was the solution. (but definitely not for your requirement!)

I would do the old fashioned repair, sewing with a needle and cotton.

SPYDER - 4/11/19 at 07:50 PM

Copydex might do the trick, but really it needs stitching to be something like permanent.

rusty nuts - 4/11/19 at 07:56 PM

Think I would be getting the sewing machine out myself

mcerd1 - 4/11/19 at 08:39 PM

you can get proper glue for waterproof repairs (tents, coats and other kit) the ones I know are:
SeamGrip - recommended by several top kit manufactures for their kit
SilNet - as above but for silicon fabrics
Stormsure - general purpose, can be easier to find on the high street

these work extremely well - I've fixed massive rips in some of my gear with them over the years
but they can be messy if your not careful (maybe cover the rest of the sleeve with a plastic bag or something )

evostik might be ok but the two I've suggested above are made for these repairs

btw you can even use SilNet / SeamGrip as a DIY seam sealant - if you've got a coat / tent that doesn't have sealed / taped seams you can just paint on a line of it instead

[Edited on 4/11/2019 by mcerd1]

ReMan - 4/11/19 at 10:35 PM

perhaps one of the "iron on' fabric repair products

bi22le - 4/11/19 at 10:38 PM

Look for wetsuit repair products. Some of them are incredible.

nick205 - 5/11/19 at 11:00 AM

I know the part you refer to and IMHO I'd stitch the velcro to the rubber to effect a permanent and flexible repair. My experience with adhsives is they work for a while then give up - usually at the time you want them to keep working.

AlexXtreme - 5/11/19 at 04:08 PM

Just had the same problem on my jacket and evostik worked a dream. the clear stuff might have worked though I used the brown more industrial stuff.
It was difficult to keep the area clean as it is messy but it worked - or it has for the last year

woodster - 16/11/19 at 08:50 PM

Ct1 sealant and adhesive.