Board logo

Plywood suppliers
peter030371 - 6/6/20 at 06:07 PM

I need a few sheets of plywood for a garden project but I am really struggling to find a local supplier other than full sheets from the builders merchants. I can't get a full sheet in my car (who can) and only need two so they are not keen on delivering for a sensible price.

I can get 4 smaller sheets from Wickes or B&Q that will do the job for about £80 but none seem to have any stock

The best price including delivery is £140.

Anyone have any good websites that can supply 12 or 15mm hardwood ply, preferably cut to size, for sensible money?

adam1985 - 6/6/20 at 09:57 PM

I had this on Friday, full sheets wouldn’t fit in my van (fully racked) and I aren’t paying twice as much for smaller boards so just brought a saw and cut them in half on the car park.
Wind made it interesting though

[Edited on 6/6/20 by adam1985]

peter030371 - 6/6/20 at 10:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adam1985
I had this on Friday, full sheets wouldn’t fit in my van (fully racked) and I aren’t paying twice as much for smaller boards so just brought a saw and cut them in half on the car park.
Wind made it interesting though

[Edited on 6/6/20 by adam1985]

I have done that before but getting to old to play silly buggers these day

Mr Whippy - 6/6/20 at 10:57 PM

Odd our B&Q has a big cutting machine and will cut sheets up for you. Used myself as it does a perfect job. I'm sure it was free last time I used it.

adam1985 - 6/6/20 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Odd our B&Q has a big cutting machine and will cut sheets up for you. Used myself as it does a perfect job. I'm sure it was free last time I used it.

Yeah that is a useful service and one i’ve used in the past but unfortunately my local store aren't doing it at the moment due to covid-19

Simon - 7/6/20 at 12:08 AM

As Mr W says, B&Q will chop up an 8x4 sheet (you get a few cuts for free)

SteveWalker - 7/6/20 at 12:25 AM

Unfortunately, as Adam1985 said, B&Q cutting services are currently suspended. What you need is to borrow a battery powered circular saw.

peter030371 - 7/6/20 at 07:49 AM

I have seen b&q cutting service before but currently suspended. Maybe I need to invest in a Ryobi one+ circular saw

stevepj - 7/6/20 at 09:24 AM

How about an inflatable roof rack? Or the locost version, airbed and ratchet straps?

peter030371 - 7/6/20 at 11:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by stevepj
How about an inflatable roof rack? Or the locost version, airbed and ratchet straps?

On a mini

Simon - 7/6/20 at 01:13 PM

Why not, I once carried three sheets of 1/2" ply on roof of my classic mini from Wickes Maidstone to paddock wood

[Edited on 7/6/20 by Simon]

peter030371 - 7/6/20 at 02:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Why not, I once carried three sheets of 1/2" ply on roof of my classic mini from Wickes Maidstone to paddock wood

[Edited on 7/6/20 by Simon]

Oh, I need it up the road in Matfield, fancy a delivery job

Wickes will do me 2 sheets delivered for £60 so problem solved

Simon - 7/6/20 at 05:12 PM

I work in Matfield, whereabouts do you want it?

Dingz - 7/6/20 at 09:48 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/galthumbs/boards1.jpg
boards

If this works? these are 8' x 2'

[Edited on 8/6/20 by Dingz]

nick205 - 8/6/20 at 07:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Unfortunately, as Adam1985 said, B&Q cutting services are currently suspended. What you need is to borrow a battery powered circular saw.

This is the way to do it I've been seen in Wickes car park sawing sheets of ply up so the bits would fit in the back of a Seat Alhambra (rear 5 seats removed so it was pretty van like inside). As it happened I needed the bits smaller anyway to clad a soap box kart so it worked perfectly for me.

If you need the sheet(s) at home and in 1 piece have you looked to see who offers delivery. Don't limit yourself to the DIY type stores. Timber yards can be equally useful (often more friendly and helpful as well).

SteveWalker - 8/6/20 at 11:18 AM

Actually I've never actually done that, but then I can put 8' x 4' sheets on top of my 5' x 3' trailer. 1' overhang at the front (but drawbar is plenty long enough), 2' at the back, 6" each side (level with the mudguards) or I can put them on roof bars on my Zafira.

At one point I had a company car, no suitable roof bars and (temporarily) no tow bar - I didn't half get some looks turning up at the tip towing my trailer full of rubbish with the Robin Hood!