Board logo

Type 9 Leaking - Anyone want to repair it?
Krismc - 17/3/13 at 11:23 AM

Ive got a slight drip that has formed while the car has been in the garage for the last 5 1/2 months, it appears its coming from the Speedo/Rev housing output which I dont use or need connected. Now I did top the oil up in sept, if the gear box is kept level is the oil level above the speedo housing output?

I have had a drop here before during long days out so I put a cap over and glued in position back in 2011 and had no issues since.

Now if I need something else done, due to my back condtion I will not be able to even have a look at the cap to see the condition. Is there any where I can take it or does anyone want to make a quick bit of cash one weekend.

Any schematics or pics out there as I might be able to repair if I dont actually need to get down in there and take a look.

Im in North Tyneside.

Kris

britishtrident - 17/3/13 at 11:40 AM

Before you start 100% sure gearbox isn't over filled, type 9 oil level should be about 17mm below the level of the filler plug thread when the car is level.

The speedo drive is simply held in by core plug, remove the speedo cable at the gearbox end, prise out the core plug and the drive gear will push upwards through the openning where the core plug came out of.
I would also suggest removing and wiping any oil from the speedo cable.

Paul Turner - 17/3/13 at 11:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Krismc

Now I did top the oil up in sept, if the gear box is kept level is the oil level above the speedo housing output?

The oil level is way below the level of the speedo drive, the only oil that gets into the tail section gets there by splash.

Krismc - 17/3/13 at 03:24 PM

Ah, I topped up oil level with the filler plug as reccommended on here, I took plug out put a pipe in and filled until it poured over, I put the filler plug back in.

Mine has a ''from what I can remember'' as I cant get in the foot well and look through the 50mm hole I made some years ago, what i remember is a brass slotted 8mm bar of some sort to connect the cable too. it was back in 2007 hence why I wanted a picture.

Plus I dont have a speedo cable fitted so removing it wont be a problem.

Kris

Krismc - 17/3/13 at 03:24 PM

Ah, I topped up oil level with the filler plug as reccommended on here, I took plug out put a pipe in and filled until it poured over, I put the filler plug back in.

Mine has a ''from what I can remember'' as I cant get in the foot well and look through the 50mm hole I made some years ago, what i remember is a brass slotted 8mm bar of some sort to connect the cable too. it was back in 2007 hence why I wanted a picture.

Plus I dont have a speedo cable fitted so removing it wont be a problem.

Kris

DarrenW - 18/3/13 at 10:30 AM

Correct oil level will probs help. If it still has a leak, emetal might work. I had a gasket leak on a type 9 many moons ago, Tiny pinhole at top of gasket, just enough for oil to be pumped out when running. Emetal proved to be an excellent long term temporary repair. (It also cured a leaking core plug at back of block - behind the bell housing.)

britishtrident - 18/3/13 at 11:54 AM

The level should not be level with the filler plug -- it should be about 1/2" to 3/4" below it.

Ford lowered the specified level because of problems with leaks.

[Edited on 18/3/13 by britishtrident]

steve m - 18/3/13 at 12:00 PM

"The level should not be level with the filler plug -- it should be about 1/2" to 3/4" below it.

Ford lowered the specified level because of problems with leaks. "

so, in theory, if you leave it dripping for a while, it will find the correct level, and stop leaking ??

hope so, as my type 2 leaks/drips as well, and i know that was overfilled !!

Paul Turner - 18/3/13 at 12:09 PM

The early type 9 casings had a filler plug about 3/4 inch above the filler plug in the later ones. It is normal to fill until it runs out, thats how its designed to happen. Ford give a lower capacity for later ones.

Mr Whippy - 18/3/13 at 01:50 PM

Do check that the small breather hole in the top cover is not painted over as that I think is there to let out air pressure when warm

Mr G - 18/3/13 at 03:35 PM

I posted pictures of my boxes showing revised filler plug location for reference HERE

Cheers

G