Board logo

Clutch choice help
Daz1234 - 4/3/19 at 02:54 PM

Hi All

Need some help if poss.

I need to upgrade my clutch and housing (slipping under boost) - was sierra clutch I think

I bought this kit (very expensive and no tech info... lesson learned....)

https://www.kitspares.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1231

I wanted the lightweight flywheel so I want to keep that..... so need to find a clutch to suit.

So spec is

Zetec engine
Type 9 gearbox/bell housing
23 splines
215mm clutch

So far ive found clutches that will work for the zetec, or the type 9 but not for both with the above spec. Not having much experience with this I cant afford to take a punt so trying to find someone with the knowledge who can say 'this one will fit' type thing

Thanks in advance

Daz

[Edited on 4/3/19 by Daz1234]

big_wasa - 4/3/19 at 04:02 PM

I know you say you want to keep your flywheel but, the 240mm flywheel would mean you can use the Focus Rs clutch. I know a few people have done this with loads of torque and I am doing the same.

Or ring some where like Helix and they will make one to your spec for your flywheel.

Oddified - 4/3/19 at 08:45 PM

As mentioned above, the limiting factor is staying with a 215mm clutch, if you changed to a 240mm it opens up a whole world of options (cosworth/rover v8 etc etc covers and plates).

Ian

mark chandler - 4/3/19 at 08:45 PM

I would try a ceramic paddle driven plate and leave the rest alone, Helix will make you one as above.

Daz1234 - 5/3/19 at 05:04 PM

Thanks guys, ok maybe I should just try to sell it on and revert to 240mm....

Im currently running 235bhp with 298 ft lb torque, but im now forging internals so power may well be increased.

Can you please advise which would be suitable (and if possible what to search for)?

I guess im going to need the lot (clutch, cover and flywheel.)

Thanks

Doug

Daz1234 - 5/3/19 at 05:17 PM

I have the olf flywheel (used to be on the car) which would fit a 240mm clutch....

Oddified - 5/3/19 at 09:10 PM

On my supercharged cossy (with water/meth and nitrous), i use a ttv flywheel, Helix 60-4708 cover and AP racing CP2346-45 plate. It's the best 'road friendly' set-up i've found that can cope, paddle clutches can do it easily but when i tried one i didn't like it for just general driving on the road, too snatchy/juddery unless it was a racing start! lol

Ian

mark chandler - 5/3/19 at 10:18 PM

I had Helix make me a 5 paddle with sprung centre, hardly any judder or harshness you would not know it was not an organic plate.