Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which plastic for side screens?
johnH20

posted on 6/8/17 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Which plastic for side screens?

I have made up some side wind deflectors for my windscreen out of commercially available polycarbonate sheet. They work up to a point but for winter I am thinking about some full side screens ( A pillar to roll bar hoop.) Problem with the polycarbonate is that it seems to scratch very easily, gentle cleaning with a soft cloth seems to induce a lot of micro scratches. When I was at Silverstone last week for the Classic event I saw a number of historics with plastic screens that seemed to be scratch free. Was this old fashioned Perspex or some other material that I should use? Is there perhaps a special grade of polycarbonate that I need? Any advice welcomed.
Myke 2463

posted on 7/8/17 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
Google Marguard expensive, should show equivalents that cost less. Used in forestry logging vehicles.

Be Lucky Mike.

SJ

posted on 7/8/17 at 07:05 AM Reply With Quote
I thought the polycarbonate I used for my side screens was quite scratch resistant. It's also cheap enough to replace them every couple of years.

Stu

cliftyhanger

posted on 7/8/17 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Acrylic/perspex is more scratch resistant, but can shatter under impact. Not great....

I used.polycarbonate for a wind deflector for that reason, despite the commercially available ones being made of acrylic. Which also happens to be cheaper.

Mr Whippy

posted on 7/8/17 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Acrylic/perspex is more scratch resistant, but can shatter under impact. Not great....

I used.polycarbonate for a wind deflector for that reason, despite the commercially available ones being made of acrylic. Which also happens to be cheaper.

ditto, I used Perspex 8mm (orange ) for my beach buggys windscreen and it cracked into long dagger like bits which were not much better than glass tbh

The trick to washing them is to wash under running water with a very soft cotton cloth. Small scratches can be buffed out with aeroplane canopy restorer

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.