Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Powder coating aluminium without primer?
JekRankin

posted on 29/4/18 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Powder coating aluminium without primer?

Dropped off my dashboard for powder coating on Friday. I had the interior panelling done in satin black and am having the dash coated to match.

When I had my interior panels done, I think they were coated with a chromate primer first. The coating adhesion is excellent, and five years later they still look fresh. There appears to be a thin yellow coating under the black topcoat - I assume this is the chromate.

When I dropped the dash off (same coaters who did the interior panels) - they told me that chromate priming wasn't needed because their powder was self priming.

Doesn't sound right to me. Can anyone comment on whether that's the case for some powdercoats? I've seen plenty of flaky powder coating which is presumably the result of poor or insufficient prep and priming, and I really don't fancy having to make my dash again. I would go to another supplier - but I want to match the finish of the existing panels.

Jek

[Edited on 29/4/18 by JekRankin]

CosKev3

posted on 29/4/18 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty sure they don't prime alloy wheels,the surface just needs to be properly keyed/degreased
nick205

posted on 30/4/18 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Alloy wheels are the only alloy parts I've had powder coated a few years back. They weren't primed, but sand blasted first to clean and key them. Then an anthracite poweder coating, which still looks good after many miles and washes.

[Edited on 30/4/18 by nick205]

JekRankin

posted on 30/4/18 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I guess that if it's good enough for wheels, it's good enough for my interior panels!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.