Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stone chips
leon51274

posted on 28/6/18 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Stone chips

Good afternoon chaps

So yesterday some kind sole decided while on his ride on lawnmower that he would try and cut some grass that had grown through the gravel outside my work, subsequently he peppered my 8 month old van with stones and left me with about 6 small stone chips down the side of the van! I've come across a franchise called chips away, anybody any experience of such companies? I certainly don't want someone to just touch them in with a touch up pen and I have a gut feeling that this will end up being a full side re-spray but I'd like to try and avoid that if poss. Any advice would be appreciated.

Fortunately the grounds maintenance company have accepted responsibility.

nick205

posted on 28/6/18 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
Not used Chips Away - like you I've a feeling they're a touch-up and go outfit.

The bonnet of my last car (black Passat) was chipped. I ended up having the bonnet re-sprayed (£200 IIRC). It looked very good afterwards and being a fussy person I preferred to park well away from other people in car parks to avoid door knocks and such.

perksy

posted on 28/6/18 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Bearing in mind the age of the van I'd go for a professional body shop solution, they've admitted liability afterall

Chipsaway will merely touch-in chips, but it depends how bad the damage to the paint really is...

Pro bodyshop will also protect the body warranty on your van

ttalps2000

posted on 29/6/18 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
do check the warranty on the body and paint work. With BMW (i dont own one BTW!) they will only keep the warranty on the paint and body work if it has been repaired etc by BMW only!!
mark chandler

posted on 29/6/18 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
You might be surprised how well the chips disappear if you are very careful with a localised touch in with a touch up pen, have a look at detailing world for advise.

Someone doing localised paint spraying is pretty much guaranteed to look worse so try this first, if that fails then get the whole side done.

Carefully touch in, build layers over time if required then leave for a couple of weeks carefully wet sand and polish.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.