Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ideas for wheel arch liners
Slimy38

posted on 2/9/18 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ideas for wheel arch liners

Just thinking ahead, my Healey rep might benefit from some wheel arch liners. I want to keep things locost as ever, so I have been looking at production car liners. Problem is, most are too large and designed to accommodate the suspension, so they have a big section missing from the middle!! The closest I found was a couple of wheel arches from an old trailer, but they didn't look wide enough.

I need something that is curved front to back, that I can fix to the body, and it should be fairly cheap. I should have some spare aluminium left so I could use that, but is there anything else I could consider? What is the plastic that is used for car liners, is it something that can be purchased for a good price and manipulated easily?

DW100

posted on 2/9/18 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
what about some truck rear wheel arches?

something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Wheel-Arches-Mudwings-Set-3-5T-Recovery-Truck-Plastic-Lorry-Transporter-HGV-/112192573057

[Edited on 2/9/18 by DW100]

02GF74

posted on 2/9/18 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno what size you need but Large plastic pet washing bowl, e. g. eBay item 253083742914.
70 l for £ 12

Cut to shape

Or plastic bin

[Edited on 2/9/18 by 02GF74]

Mash

posted on 2/9/18 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a silly suggestion,but how about knocking something tohgether from some 7 style rear wings for the rear. Not sure how much space you have under there, but I'd have thought it would work ?

Maybe even something similar for the front ?

SPYDER

posted on 2/9/18 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
A section cut from one of those blue barrels you see about maybe?
SteveWalker

posted on 2/9/18 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
To reduce the risk of stones cracking my fibreglass arches from underneath, I painted the underside with a thick, rubberised paint meant for the purpose.
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/9/18 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at this crowd a while back and they do the Healey or could probably do one that fits your specific rep if it is quite different. Seems a proper quality solution.

linky

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 3/9/18 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DW100
what about some truck rear wheel arches?

something like this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Twin-Wheel-Arches-Mudwings-Set-3-5T-Recovery-Truck-Plastic-Lorry-Transporter-HGV-/112192573057

yeah that would be ideal, but I think the curve would be too large. I'd still like it to follow the arch if possible. Although I'm guessing a little heat might get it working!

quote:
Originally posted by SPYDER
A section cut from one of those blue barrels you see about maybe?

I was wondering whether a water butt would work, is that what you mean?

quote:
Originally posted by Mash
Probably a silly suggestion,but how about knocking something tohgether from some 7 style rear wings for the rear. Not sure how much space you have under there, but I'd have thought it would work ?

Maybe even something similar for the front ?

That's what the bodywork guy suggested, but I don't really want to pay the premium for ones that look decent. I have an Ebay search currently for 'broken rear wings', but it's coming up a bit light at the moment.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I looked at this crowd a while back and they do the Healey or could probably do one that fits your specific rep if it is quite different. Seems a proper quality solution.

linky

Oh hell yeah!! Not quite the locost, but it would be interesting to have 'real' ones fitted!

[Edited on 3/9/18 by Slimy38]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.