Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Vinyl wrap advice
mcramsay

posted on 1/3/19 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Vinyl wrap advice

I have been watching yianni the super car vinyl wrap bloke on tv, and figured I would at least have a go at trying it on my marlin as I don’t have the money to paint at the moment!

I am completely prepared to find out it’s not as easy as it looks!!!!

My car is pretty much all fibreglass so I’m going to do a test wrap of a front wing just to see how it goes! The wing is currently in a beige gel coat, do I need to prime this with standard primer and flat off before I can wrap? I’m not talking about to hide imperfections more if the vinyl will adhere properly.

Also there are holes in the wing for mounting and indicators, will the vinyl stick to the inner (non gel coat) OD of the hole or again do I have to prime / seal this surface?

Any tips would be great!

The Knobs

posted on 1/3/19 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I was just thinking of doing bits of my Striker with vinyl, watching this thread with interest lol
Slimy38

posted on 1/3/19 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Vinyl is remarkably sticky, it'll stay put on most surfaces. Gel coat will be no problem. I'd just suggest a degreaser with IPA or similar. Note that it will pick up any slight imperfection in the panel, that was my biggest regret when doing my bike. Even the decals that I left on the panels actually showed through the vinyl, remarkably cleanly.

I would recommend starting with only a single curve panel though, if your wings are how I think they are you will have trouble with the leading edge as it makes a 'dome'. I'd actually suggest a bonnet or similar flat panel, you'll soon find the size of a panel isn't as critical as how many curves it has.

Oh, and be sure you want to do it, it's amazing how the stuff doesn't actually come off like it does on Youtube!!

mcramsay

posted on 1/3/19 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info! I wanted to try on the wing as if I can do that with good results then I’m confident I can do the easier panels, I’m going to take my time put in the prep and not get fustrated.

I don’t want to wrap all the easy panels only to find I can’t do the difficult ones!

I expect by the end of tomorrow I will be looking at painting the thing!

The Knobs

posted on 1/3/19 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Which vinyl is the best for diy?
40inches

posted on 1/3/19 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
3M 1080 is designed for car bodies
CosKev3

posted on 2/3/19 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Knobs
Which vinyl is the best for diy?

As Dave says,3M 1080

There is a big difference between cheap vinyl and premium brands

Big T

posted on 6/4/19 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
It’s suprisingly difficult in practice. The amount of times I’ve watched a video and then given it a go. Like plastering a ceiling. Never again.

Some vinyl is better to work with than others. I’ve used multiple brands and all are supposedly automotive intended. Best I’ve used was a “Hexis” branded item. But it was expensive.

I imagine the most complicated part of a Seven style vehicle would be the rear arches and nose cone.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.