Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: HVLP Paint problems - advice needed!
chrsgrain

posted on 28/3/09 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
HVLP Paint problems - advice needed!

Hi Guys (and Claire and Fozzie!),

Tried my new HVLP gun today, but struggled a bit - paint looks like its drying on the way to the piece, lots of stringy bits on the edge of the spray pattern and orange peel as well.

Tried fiddling with the settings, but not much improvement! I'm using quite thick and very quick drying self etching black satin paint - I've diluted it 5% with top quality high gloss cellulose thinners (can dilute up to 10% max according to the data sheet, but didn't want to overdo it - difficult to undilute it )

I've got a big compressor, with a moisture trap.... currently air is set at 60psi at the compressor.

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

theconrodkid

posted on 28/3/09 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
pressure sounds a bit high for normal gun,i used about 35/40,no idea what pressure the lp guns work at....worth a try tho

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

blakep82

posted on 28/3/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
whats 60 psi? about 6 bar? i think thats what i used, and it seemed to work ok when i did it...
doesn't the sray gun have any instructions about air pressure etc?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

smart51

posted on 28/3/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
60 PSI is a little over 4 bar. Maybe it's a bit high for a low pressure gun.
tootall

posted on 28/3/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
the problem will be the thikness of paint
genraly u should run about 2 bar 30 psi u need to put it on wet celly is funny stuf there is a nac to applying it
to high pressur would cause it to attomise to fine and dry in air befor it hits pannel
so try lower pressur and good wet coats its suprising how much u can put on with out it running it all a matter of how dearing u are to hammer it on. if u paint 2 pack all day it goes againt the grain to pile it on but it does work

some people dream of sucsess, others just get on and do it !!

britishtrident

posted on 28/3/09 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Paint is much too thick pressure is much much too high

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

austin man

posted on 28/3/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
more thinners will do you definitely too thick especially if orange peeling and has stringy bits

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Hugh Paterson

posted on 29/3/09 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Paint is too thick, the pressure is way to high for hvlp. I use both HVLP and bog standard guns, im hovering around 15 - 20 psi on the pressure with the HVLP guns, what has your chosen weapon got on it. U should have adjustment for pressure, volume of paint and spray pattern at least on a decent HVLP. I start by setting the pressure at the compressor, fine adjust on the gun, its usually at the bottom of the handle, set the spray pattern at the back usually wide fan too start with, then fiddle with the volume. If you are new to this try a variety of samples on a flat panel of similar material to the substrate you are spraying. Aim for a wide/fine spray pattern to reduce the likelihood of orange peel + More thinners to start with, the tech sheet for the paint will give u a guided to percentage of thinners, paint, and hardener required
Shug

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.