Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Volvo engine, BMW gearbox, is it feasible?
Alex.

posted on 14/5/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Volvo engine, BMW gearbox, is it feasible?

Hi Guys,

I have been thinking about building a kit car for years, but never had the time or money to get started. Now some things have come together at the same (right!) time for me to think about a build.

I have also done just the wrong thing, got an engine then thought about the rest of the car! My daily drivers engine is sick, so she is currently in the garage having an engine change, as it is cheaper than paying a garage to change the rings. She is a Volvo V40 T4, so a 4 cylinder, turbo charged, all aluminium lump with 200bhp.

From various internet wanderings, I have found an adapter plate that can mate this engine to a 6 cylinder 3 series BMW gearbox.

Then a kind soul on another forum offered me an almost complete Ron Champion chassis for very little dosh! I was flabbergasted. But it has started to move my plans up a notch, with the wife's consent!!

So, to the question in hand. Has anyone tried to put a Volvo engine or BMW gearbox into a Locost?
My main concern is that the gearbox will be too big, or that the engine will be too high.

Am I just being too ambitious for my first car build?? Although I have built and rebuilt motorbikes a few times.

Oh, and while I'm asking questions, has anyone got a Euromillions jackpot winning lottery ticket from last week that they are not going to use?

Alex.

twybrow

posted on 14/5/09 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Alex - welcome to the forum. Sounds like an ambitious plan, but one worth pursuing. There are folk on here with Volvo engines, and people running with BMW engines/gearbox combos, so I'm sure you will find some useful info on here....

Good luck with the build, and dont be scared off from doing something different.

It might be good if you could post a link to this adaptor...?

cd.thomson

posted on 14/5/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
yes definitely possible, there are people on this forum with intimate knowledge of both volvo and bmw running gear.

It'll be more complicated than following the book word for word, but this site will be able to guide and advise on most issues (as ive found!)

On another forum I was told I was too ambitious wanting to fit an XE engine to my Dax rather than the original pinto the chassis was designed for (considering it was my first build).. The engine and box are about to be fitted - thanks to everyone on here.

Craig

Alex.

posted on 14/5/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm not put off by doing the ambitious, it just takes longer with more reason to be in the garage!

This is the adapter plate:- Adapter plate

I hope you can read Swedish!

My main concern was that the gearbox would not fit at all. Guess I'll just have to get everything together and try it out!

Wish me luck....

Alex.

matt_claydon

posted on 14/5/09 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it can be done:

T5 Engine @ Nurburgring
T5 Engine @ Nurburgring

(T5 engine with BMW E30 325 'box and KLRacing adapter plate.)

MK Indy chassis required a little 'relieving of the footwells to clear bellhousing but nothing major. With a 4-cylinder you probably wouldn't have any trouble. The engine is fairly tall and with standard sump it sticks an inch or so below the chassis and the rocker cover pokes out through the bonnet (this could be hidden easily with a scoop).

The biggest issue with this installation is that the BMW boxes have quite short input shafts and they do not reach the clutch plate with the standard flywheel. There are 3 obvious options to solve this:

* Use a very thick flywheel (dual mass off a 6-cyl 3 litre)
* Extend input shaft on gearbox (difficult)
* Custom friction plate with deep splined section to reach input shaft.

I went with the first as it was simplest but it doesn't make the engine very responsive. There may be other solutions like custom flywheels but you're probably talking serious £££.

This simplest way of getting a Volvo engine in is to use the M90 RWB gearbox. These are rare and you're looking at about 300 quid and they are also very wide (albeit also very short). Benzine has fitted one of these to an Indy chassis but it takes quite a big chunk out of the driver's footwell.

[Edited on 14/5/09 by matt_claydon]

[Edited on 14/5/09 by matt_claydon]

blakep82

posted on 14/5/09 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
a few mods might be needed on the chassis to widen the tunnel, but shouldn't be too difficult. anythings possible with some imagination

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

mark chandler

posted on 14/5/09 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
4th option on the input shaft, do what jaguar did and have the spigot bearing within the flywheel, also a dual mass affair.

These are getrag gearboxes, very strong !

matt_claydon

posted on 14/5/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
4th option on the input shaft, do what jaguar did and have the spigot bearing within the flywheel, also a dual mass affair.

These are getrag gearboxes, very strong !

Unfortuntely the problem is that the splines don't reach the clutch plate. Dealing with spigot bearing is easy compared to solving that!

Volvorsport

posted on 14/5/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
you could also find an M90 .

ive since sourced a lightened flywheel and clutch from TTV racing that fits all volvo uprated parts .

the getrag will fit a std tunnel - others might not .

why fit 4 when you can fit 5 or 6 ?

Mine is based purely on volvo using a redblock turbo with volvo running gear .

im sure the volvo engined owners will be able to sort most of your issues out , one i day i hope to see a fleet of us .

im sure benzine will be along soon too .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Benzine

posted on 14/5/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsportone day i hope to see a fleet of us .

*tears up with pride*

quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsportim sure benzine will be along soon too .

o hai \m/^__^\m/ I have a Volvo straight six 3.0 in my MK with the M90 gearbox, the gearbox is fairly tight, I needed to modify the firewall/sheet metal section, I haven't had to cut the chassis itself so it can be done. Oh and the engine is tight too ^__^ I've done flip all on it for ages but recently I've been working on it again since I've got my new barn/workshop. I need to find someone to TIG up my sump next...

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 14/5/09 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
I have a volvo t5 engine, and a getrag 260 engine from an e30 325.

Not in the car yet

stevegough

posted on 14/5/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
another guy just posted under 'chassis' is thinking along the same lines - volvo / bmw.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

Alex.

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I'm glad I asked now! All good, then. I just need to pull my finger out and get started!!

Be prepared for lots of questions, in a while, probably...

Alex.

Volvorsport

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.turbobricks.com/

volvospeed
t5d5
volvo owners club

youll find most people are helpfull .

what running gear are you basing it on ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Alex.

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
I am a member of lots of Volvo forums:-

VOC
T5D5
S40Concepts
VPC
TurboBricks
RWD Volvos...

All helpful chaps, mostly!

I am currently basing my running gear on a T4 engine that will be going spare (after changing the rings...) and a Ron Champion chassis that is going really cheap!

Just need to find a garage to rent in the Rainham area of Medway....

Alex.

Volvorsport

posted on 15/5/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
yeah , what about the rest of teh stuff .

ford axle and uprights etc ?

youve probably seen me somewhere about then .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk

Alex.

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the rest of the stuff yet, I've not even got my engine home from the garage! They are still changing it.
Spent the last couple of weeks using my bike to commute, just glad it hasn't rained much!!

It will probably be according to the original book, so Ford stuff as and when I can get hold of it cheap...

Alex.

Chris_

posted on 16/5/09 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
E30 320i gearbox is a decent chunk shorter than the 325i. Also has closer ratios and has been run with a good 300+ hp so plenty strong enough

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.