Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gelcoat advice needed
mad-butcher

posted on 19/7/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
gelcoat advice needed

embaresment prevents me from saying what happened, fortunately it held on at battery isolation switch but flipped completely over, resulting in the damage in the pic on all 4 corners of the scoop and the curved part.
what is the best way to repair the damage I'm thinking grind the cracks out with the dremel and either body filler or gelcoat.

tony Rescued attachment use.jpg
Rescued attachment use.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
balidey

posted on 19/7/09 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
filling in with gelcoat will be the best repair, but unless you are really lucky, you won't get an exact match and it will probably be a slightly visible repair (if you look for it).
tomgregory2000

posted on 19/7/09 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
yes grind out the caracks and fill but getting a match is going to be tricky
thunderace

posted on 19/7/09 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
you must drill the ends of the cracks so they cant grow filling wont work it will just grow just like a crack in a windscreen
Hugh Paterson

posted on 19/7/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
I use a die grinder with an oval cutting carbide bit in it, keep it shallow dont go to far into the laminate. If u aint got a die grinder a dremmel works just as well. Matching the gel is not to difficult, Gelcoat surface cures against the mould surface, as u aint got it a wee bit of acetate sheet as used in over head projector film works well instead, held in place with a bit of bog standard masking tape. Dont overdo the catalyst in such a small quantity of gel it "Cooks" if u do, and it either doesnt fully cure or u will induce pinholes in the surface finish. If u leave the new gel slightly proud of the "old" surface its easy to wet n dry it down with 240 - 1500 grit and get a reasonable finish with a bit of elbow grease and some G3/G10 surface compound. If u get stuck u2u me and will talk u through it on the landline
regards
Shugster.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.