Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tips to help new builders ?
Jon Ison

posted on 28/4/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Tips to help new builders ?

Was chatting in garage earlier with Bryn of Allyfab fame, he came over with a bonnet template to make sure the "bulge" was in the correct place and we got to talking what would you do different ?

Tip number one.

Consider building the chassis with higher top rails, most engine installations require a cut out or bulge if built to book dimensions.

Tip number two............ over to you guys.

SeanStone

posted on 28/4/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Makes sure your tunnel is wide enough if you've got a big gearbox going in
boggle

posted on 28/4/10 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
tip 3.....

dont fit a pinto then decide to go bec!!!

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

omega0684

posted on 28/4/10 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
buy one dont build one! but then where is the fun in that!

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andylancaster3000

posted on 28/4/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
I might question this one!Tip number one. Consider building the chassis with higher top rails, most engine installations require a cut out or bulge if built to book dimensions.

I reckon you have to be careful with this one. I reckon, though biased, the book Locost is one of the best proportioned seven replicas about even with a bonnet buldge, they can very easily be spoiled I reckon Just a consideration! (and an odd one for me being 'form before function' )

[Edited on 28/4/10 by andylancaster3000]

Sprytny

posted on 28/4/10 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Consider the list of all the list of all test failures, and take this into account when building the a car...
Mark G

posted on 28/4/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you have plenty of consumables at hand during the build. You never know when you might need your next nut, bolt, rivet or length of wire etc...
OX

posted on 28/4/10 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
When your putting it on ask your self ' how easy can i take it back off once the car is fully built'
James

posted on 28/4/10 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andylancaster3000
I might question this one!Tip number one. Consider building the chassis with higher top rails, most engine installations require a cut out or bulge if built to book dimensions.

I reckon you have to be careful with this one. I reckon, though biased, the book Locost is one of the best proportioned seven replicas about even with a bonnet buldge, they can very easily be spoiled I reckon Just a consideration! (and an odd one for me being 'form before function' )

Agreed- sorry Jon!

I added 1" to the top of my car.... really regret this now and have been considering how to remove it with minimal hassle!

A bulge would look nicer.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

alistairolsen

posted on 29/4/10 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
I built the outer chassis which is limited by the bodywork, but wont build the tunnel or engine support rails until the engine and gearbox are in place. To my mind a must if you're going supersize on the engine!

Dont underestimate the time spent making and fitting brackets, fitting my seats took as long as the whole front end of the chassis frame!

My Build Thread

iank

posted on 29/4/10 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:

Agreed- sorry Jon!

I added 1" to the top of my car.... really regret this now and have been considering how to remove it with minimal hassle!

Cheers,
James

Sadly you can't alter the chassis, to that extent, without an IVA.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 29/4/10 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
Tip take some time to get your build environment tidy and organised. If possible make sure you have enough room to walk around the car comfortably without having to shuffle sideways.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

daviep

posted on 29/4/10 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
quote:
quote:

Agreed- sorry Jon!

Cheers,
James

Of course you can, nobody will ever know and we won't tell on you

fesycresy

posted on 29/4/10 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SeanStone
Makes sure your tunnel is wide enough if you've got a big gearbox going in

Make sure your tunnel is as narrow as possible for a nice big footwell.

CEC's need not apply

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

coozer

posted on 29/4/10 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Try and think OEM as much as possible when building.....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

tegwin

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Measure thrice, check twice and cut once!

Take time over everything you do on the car, you dont want to rush to get a piece finished only for it to bug you for ages because its not quite as perfect as you could have managed!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Jon Ison

posted on 29/4/10 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
mmmmmmmmm, healthy debate, maybe I will like the bulge better than I would have higher top rails ?

speedyxjs

posted on 29/4/10 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
tip 3.....

dont fit a pinto then decide to go bec!!!

Dont you mean 'dont decide to go BEC'?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

David Jenkins

posted on 29/4/10 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
If you think that you will want a windscreen, but don't want it fitted when doing the IVA, install everything during the build while it's relatively easy. Once it's there and working nicely, take photos, uninstall and pack it all away nicely. Use plastic plugs and things to make it look like you're not intending to fit a screen to keep the tester happy.

DO NOT try installing a screen 4 years later, as I did!

pewe

posted on 29/4/10 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Work on the premise you are going to take one-step forward and two back.....
And when you reach the stage of thinking "Why the b*gggery b*llocks am I doing this?" just remember there are lots of builders out there who've finished and come back with a big idiot grin on their faces after each blat.
Cheers, Pewe

geeksandlies

posted on 29/4/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Ensure you have permission from 'er indoors?!?

Ensure you come on here to have the renowned BEC vs CEC debate? (oddly i haven't yet but then i haven't asked the dreaded question only poped up with random ideas after the strike me)

Buy a t-shirt?

Get adopted by a builder on here? (What happened to that thread?)

Research, research, research!

The one who dies with the most toys wins!

Marcus

posted on 29/4/10 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I you're welding your own chassis, BUY all the suspension brackets!!!

I took far too long making all mine from 40mm x 3mm flat stock when I could have been doing other things!!

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 29/4/10 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agreed- sorry Jon!

Cheers,
James

That can only come from an IVA inspector

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
alistairolsen

posted on 29/4/10 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
If you have space, dont strip the donor straight away, having non running engines lying for 2+ years is less than ideal!

My Build Thread

iank

posted on 29/4/10 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agreed- sorry Jon!

Cheers,
James

That can only come from an IVA inspector

I wish
I was speaking from a purely legal point of view, since people from VOSA (and presumably the DVLA) have been known to read this forum implying you're going to break their rules means you need to be aware of the risks.
Though it's not quite as obvious as putting an MK onto a dutton V5.

--
Anonymous

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.