Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Powder coater?
mid-buggy

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
DIY Powder coater?

Has anyone bought one and got good enough results that they would offer it as a business?

Had a look at it at stoneleigh, but not sure.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one and yes got good results. Would i do it as a business - not with the Electrostatic Magic kit - its too small and too slow for commercial use.

Well recommended for home and personal use mind!!

mid-buggy

posted on 5/5/10 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Any pics of what you have done and whats the biggest/smallest size?

Did you do standard colours or have you tried the more metallic colours?

MikeRJ

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've got one and had very disappointing results trying to use a hot air gun (as suggested by the chap selling them). It melts the powder ok, but doesn't get the metal hot enough for it to stick so it all flakes off. Need to find an old oven for my workshop, but just don't have the space at the moment.
Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Just for you...

Description
Description

Description
Description

mid-buggy

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Any other more complex bits planned?
trextr7monkey

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi w ebought one at Newark along with several bags of powder a few years ago, results are good - have an oven at work did some x flow rocker covers including some rusty old things de greased and sprayed wuth VHT exhaust paint first which cam e outwell, also an ali thermostat housing and various brackets. Made some wing protectors to go on wing tops of the jeep and some landrover style plates to mount front indicators and side lights on, this was on ali miniature 3 bar tread plate. After about 9 months it is coming off the frontedge which is disappointing after the effort put in. I have a n alloy rocker cover that I would like todo lime green but haven't got round to it yet.

So mixed results really - OK for DIY bits and pieces but risky for a business I would have thought,

hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/5/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mid-buggy
Any other more complex bits planned?

I'll be using it on my next build thats for sure. Really need to make an oven to cure bigger parts - there's one that someone made on the Electrostatic magic website. The ability to cure parts are all thats really limiting the kit's use really

mid-buggy

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Oh I dont mean I am looking at doing it as a business, rather are you happy with the results that you would sell them or are they just ok?

For me, if the end result would be good enough to sell, then its a top quality product.

I am just looking for ways to do my bottom arms etc cheaper than getting them 2k painted by a bodyshop.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 5/5/10 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
The parts i did were free of flaws so i was happy with them - certainly looked better than any painted parts i did myself plus more hardwearing. I guess its all down to the preparation as with most things. Parts were derusted using the electrolysis method and then given a coat of zinc based primer as soon as they were dry.
nemesis v12

posted on 5/5/10 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
i did some wishbones with the kit i bought 12 months ago and put them in he oven in the kitchen...a bit fumey but the missus was out and the windows were open. results got better with practice

to old to die young

MakeEverything

posted on 6/5/10 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at one of these at Stoneleigh, and i wish id bought it now. Eventually, id like to powder coat my engine, but for now i would like to do some of the new bits im putting on the car.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MikeRJ

posted on 6/5/10 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nemesis v12
i did some wishbones with the kit i bought 12 months ago and put them in he oven in the kitchen...a bit fumey but the missus was out and the windows were open. results got better with practice

It does say not to use a domestic oven that you also use for food as the fumes are toxic...

Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/5/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by nemesis v12

It does say not to use a domestic oven that you also use for food as the fumes are toxic...

Might not make any difference - depends on his wife's cooking really!!!

NS Dev

posted on 7/5/10 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mid-buggy
Oh I dont mean I am looking at doing it as a business, rather are you happy with the results that you would sell them or are they just ok?

For me, if the end result would be good enough to sell, then its a top quality product.

I am just looking for ways to do my bottom arms etc cheaper than getting them 2k painted by a bodyshop.

send them to a powder coaters.......

I can get stuff powder coated cheaper than I can paint them in my OWN bodyshop!!

I'd be looking at maybe a fiver a pair for powder coating wishbones?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Sprytny

posted on 8/5/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
powder coating

Where can powder coating be completed at such a low price?

Also, can someone point to a website where I can purchase the tools/equipment required for this to complete at home.

Thanks

trextr7monkey

posted on 8/5/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

NS Dev

posted on 17/5/10 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sprytny
Where can powder coating be completed at such a low price?

Also, can someone point to a website where I can purchase the tools/equipment required for this to complete at home.

Thanks

I use Mallory Powder coating.

I just take stuff over, always go for black and tell them to do it when they get the chance, no rush.

Usually done in a couple of days, and costs next to nothing

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.