Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Powder Coating
DorsetStrider

posted on 4/6/10 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Powder Coating

Hiya guys.

I bought one of the electrostatic powder coating kits at exeter last year and have just got around to using it for the first time. WOW!!!

I am really impressed! The result isn't perfect but that's down to preperation (I didn't since the part may well be changed later in the build anyway) rather than the kit itself.

I used the paint stripper approach to cureing. Can't help wondering now what results could be achieved using UV lamps or the oven.

Anyone know how I upload pics as I seem to have forgotten? Rescued attachment engine mount 006.JPG
Rescued attachment engine mount 006.JPG

Who the f**K tightened this up!

JF

posted on 4/6/10 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm yeah does seem nice. How much did that kit cost if I might ask?

If only your welding would have been half as good as the coat.... (no offense jk)

BenB

posted on 4/6/10 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JF
Hmm yeah does seem nice. How much did that kit cost if I might ask?

If only your welding would have been half as good as the coat.... (no offense jk)

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeow
(though I did think that the welding looks a bit like my efforts )

Irony

posted on 4/6/10 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have got one of those kits but have never used it. When using a heat gun whats the toughness of the finish like?

I originally bought it for such things as engine bay bracketry etc but I have been painting things as the electrostatic magic kit seems a bit of fuss.

Is it a robust finish?

DorsetStrider

posted on 4/6/10 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding the welding as I said this isn't the final bracket. I just needed something to hold the engine hense no prep before powder coating and carpy welding (and off cuts of steel come to that). The only reason I powder coated it at all was that the kit caught my eye and I was curious to know what I can expect from it.

The kit cost about £100 ish at the exeter show. And I have to say that I've spent more money on tools I've been much less impressed with.

As far as durability goes I'll let you know but having dropped the mount twice so far it seems pretty good. The only thing I would say is that using the paint stripper method it does take a little while due to the fact that the area being heated is quite small. It's a case of do a bit move on do a bit more etc etc.

Who the f**K tightened this up!

main82000

posted on 4/6/10 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
hi
i bought one out of the kit car mag
i have tryed the heat gun but you have to watch you dont blow the powder off so i put an old oven in the garage and i will say that this is by far the best finish heat the oven to 180 put the item in and when done leave it in while it all cools down that gives you a more glossy look also prep the metal with metal primmer
craig

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 4/6/10 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
We have one and use an oven - only prob we have had ha sbeen big stuff - made some wing top protectors for the jeep out of mini checker plate and the finish was pretty good although we had to turn them round and leave the oven door half open, after years the leading edge is losing powdercoat but I guess if we'd had a bigger oven the coat would have been more uniform.
It is brill for rocker covers so long as properly degreased- we burn the oil off with the brazing torch then if rusty/ pitted spray with UHT exhaust paint
I also did an old x flow thermostat case with some silver and it came out looking better than new.
There is a bit of a whiff so not really for the garage attached to the house or a sneaky blast while the wife's not watching her oven

hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Sprytny

posted on 19/6/10 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Can you suggest a good supplier in the sussex area where I can obtain this kit from; I really am intersted in getting into powder coating.
Cheers
Greg

loggyboy

posted on 21/6/10 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
I bought one over the weekend at Newark.
They were demoing it and looked very good, it was also reviewed positively in one of the kit magazines last month.

These are the guys http://www.electrostaticmagic.co.uk/

[Edited on 21/6/10 by loggyboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.