Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shortening a two post lift?

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Shortening a two post lift?

Hi All.

Theoretically speaking, do we think it's possible to reduce the height of a 2 post lift?

I'm wondering that since my garage roof is only 1.92 mts high and slopes up to 2.02 mts the other side,
if a two poster could be cut to fit?

Possibly cut the width as well as it's only 2.3 mts wide.

I assume that they are normally a bit bigger than this.

I realize that this would limit the height I could raise the car but it would get it up to a better work level.
It would save my poor old back no end when I do all that pre-IVA polishing.

Cheers,
Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 17/7/11 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't you be better off with a scissor lift if you can get one Paul? Could be sunk into the floor so it's level and wouldn't take up any space , also you could limit the raised height to miss your roof . If you have to shortening a 2 poster it would be possible with a chain type if you can machine the lifting screws and cut off the top plate from the pillars and rewelding. Not sure insurance company would like it though?

posted on 17/7/11 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Wouldn't you be better off with a scissor lift if you can get one Paul? Could be sunk into the floor so it's level and wouldn't take up any space , also you could limit the raised height to miss your roof . If you have to shortening a 2 poster it would be possible with a chain type if you can machine the lifting screws and cut off the top plate from the pillars and rewelding. Not sure insurance company would like it though?

So what are the chain types like then Mel?
Any makes that I could Google?

Am I right in thinking that the others are the ones with motors on the top, with what looks like
gears or short chain and sprockets driving what I assume is a large vertical acme thread. ???

Cheers,
Paul G

Chippy

posted on 17/7/11 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Paul, having seen some of your work, I am pretty sure that modifying a two poster would not be beyond you. :-) Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

posted on 18/7/11 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the vote of confidence Ray.

Having seen the standard of welding on a 2t engine hoist that I borrowed once
I haven't much to live up to.

Cheers,
Paul G

rusty nuts

posted on 18/7/11 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
The chain types normally have the motor at the top of the column with a belt and pulley system driving a threaded (probably Acme) shaft that has a bearing top and bottom and a carriage with arms attached which rises or lowers when the shaft turns . At the bottom of the column there is a sprocket driving a chain which in turn drives a sprocket on the none motor column which also has a carriage . Both carriages should rise at the same rate and be level with each other. The lifting nuts tend to wear if not looked after and should be inspected regularly as should the safety nuts. Some variations use a horizontal shaft with bevel gears instead of a chain and some use hydraulics . Not a great fan of the hydraulic type due to some not lifting evenly. I use to have a semi portable lift that would go right under the car and would lift to about 6feet , not that I needed it to go that high, something like that may suit you?
fazerruss

posted on 18/7/11 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
A lift could be shortend but not easy. The biggest headache i could see would be shortening the screws as they are the tallest part of the lift (on mine anyway). You would need someone with a bloody big lathe to remachine the ends to refit the drive pulleys or sprockets depending on which end you cut. Then you would need to move the upper limit switch and skew switch lower down the post.
reducing the width would be an easier task just cut n shut the base with a bit of welding and shorten the drive chain.
My lift btw is a werther 255 screw lift.

"if assholes could fly this place would be an airport"

posted on 18/7/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mel,

and

Cheers Fazerruss.

Both very useful posts.

I have the use of a big lathe so any turning isn't a problem.
I have Google'd the Werther 255 and downloaded a pic.

Thanks again,
Paul G

macc man

posted on 18/7/11 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
A guy near me has a 4 post lift in his garage at home that has been sunk into the floor to give him the clearance from the roof.
this might be the answer rather than changing the machine to suit.

posted on 19/7/11 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by macc man
A guy near me has a 4 post lift in his garage at home that has been sunk into the floor to give him the clearance from the roof.
this might be the answer rather than changing the machine to suit.

I'm not 100% sure of the height of one of these lifts but I think they lift to about 1.8 mts so you can walk
under the car. I think that it makes the height of the posts about 2.8 mts.

As I have 2 mts floor to roof that would involve sinking it 800mm. A tad to much I feel, but I may well be wrong.

If I can get a Seven 900mm off the deck I will be more than happy.

Cheers,
Paul G

britishtrident

posted on 19/7/11 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
You don't need to shorten the lift just move the upper limit switch down.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

posted on 20/7/11 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
You don't need to shorten the lift just move the upper limit switch down.

I think you have got hold of the wrong end of the stick BT.

I wish to fit a large (ish) object in a small (ish) garage.

The smallest I've found so far is 2880mm high.

Cheers,
Paul G

HowardB

posted on 20/7/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure that the thought has crossed your mind, but,...

how about raising the roof?

Might not be an option, but, just a thought?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

britishtrident

posted on 20/7/11 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Think about it

Vertical height required = lift height + the height of the vehicle and for conventional ramp, even for a Seven style car that is going to be a minimum of 3000mm, for a tintop 40000mm

Lowest you will find are the old Laycock Coronation 4 post chain drive lifts they lift the underside of the car to about 1.7 m off the deck so the roof height required is about 2.5 m for a locost 3.5 for a tintop.

Even the Corination lift was a a paine in the neck to use even for my 5ft 8" --- to make ours usable we had to dig a shallow (18" pit below the ramp.

oadamo

posted on 20/7/11 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
if you buy the cheap hydraulic lifts off ebay all you have to do is cut the channels down that the hydraulics run in,alot of work but can be down with a few slitting discs. and take a few links out of the chains to the size you need. the pain in the ass part is getting the wires shortened you need to get the ends crimped back on. because when you cut the old ones off you cant reuse them.
and if you use a brace on the top to stop them folding in with the weight and make some support legs you dont even need to bolt them down
adam

oh and make sure you put the limit switch back in the right place or when you take the ramps up you will smash it off lol.

[Edited on 20/7/11 by oadamo]

mark chandler

posted on 20/7/11 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Get something like this and sink into the ground

Hydraulic Table Cart 500kg | eBay

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Get something like this and sink into the ground

Hydraulic Table Cart 500kg | eBay

Thanks for the link Mark but reading further down the add it says:-

-----------------------------
Specification
Lift 500lbs ( ? lbs = typo ? )
Min height 265mm
Max height 735mm
-----------------------------

I make that a lift of 470mm. Idealy I'd like double that, and as my car weighs 640kgs I'd want a lift of at least a tonne.

Thanks for the reply anyway as ALL sugestions and alternatives are welcome.
Anything that gets me thinking has got to be good.

Cheers,
Paul G

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
if you buy the cheap hydraulic lifts off ebay all you have to do is cut the channels down that the hydraulics run in,alot of work but can be down with a few slitting discs. and take a few links out of the chains to the size you need. the pain in the ass part is getting the wires shortened you need to get the ends crimped back on. because when you cut the old ones off you cant reuse them.
and if you use a brace on the top to stop them folding in with the weight and make some support legs you dont even need to bolt them down
adam

oh and make sure you put the limit switch back in the right place or when you take the ramps up you will smash it off lol.

[Edited on 20/7/11 by oadamo]

Cheers Adam, some food for thought there.

I take it that the hydraulic lifts have a ram that pulls on steel cables then,
instead of the vertical screws & chain across the bottom that the others have.

I like the idea of changing the feet and bracing the top. Several cms could be gained there.
Gets the channels back closer to the walls.

Cheers,
Paul G

posted on 20/7/11 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB

Hi Howard,

I did think of two vetical ducts, like chimneys, for the lift posts to sit inside.

I would still have to alter the width though.

Cheers,
Paul G

britishtrident

posted on 21/7/11 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
High lift pallet truck have been used by Locosters before they are quite cheap and can be found up to 1.5 ton capcity, however you will need to lift exactly under cg and will need 4 tall stands for safe working.
HowardB

posted on 21/7/11 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB

Hi Howard,

I did think of two vetical ducts, like chimneys, for the lift posts to sit inside.

I would still have to alter the width though.

Cheers,
Paul G

All in jest, but it reminds me of the Thora Hurd story, where some cowboy fixers mended her Stannah Stairlift,...

She went through the roof!!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

zilspeed

posted on 21/7/11 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
A pal of mine has a pit and a hydraulic lift.
One of the timbers over the pit is replaced with a steel channel, the two rams are in the pit.
In the pit there is a hydraulic valve block and tank and a power steering pump powered by a single phase motor.

All of this stuff is wombled.

You park the lifting point of the car over the steel channel, fire up the motor, pull the lever and the car gets lifted to as much as you want.
Two channels and four rams would be a small addition.

When not in use, it takes up zero floor space and you couldn't even trip on it if you wanted to.

Wombling these things together is perfectly possible.

I'll video it some time and post a link.

Irony

posted on 21/7/11 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Why don't get something like this

AIR OPERATED CAR RAMP WAIST HEIGHT | eBay

I would love one but its a extra cost. If you search 'car scissor lift' on google it brings lots of options.

We had a bespoke one built for a exhibition we designed/built. It was compressed air powered by a 25l silent aircompressor. Went up and down almost silently. Really cool. Some of you guys might have seen it at the Gadget Show. It had a VW Polo Bluemotion going up and down on it.

[Edited on 21/7/11 by Irony]

posted on 21/7/11 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All. Thanks for all the replies so far.

The pallet truck needs the room to manoeuvre it under the car so you need a garage a lot wider than the car.

I see the disadvantages of the pallet truck, the scissor lift, and the scissor ramp as twofold. Firstly, they block
working on the underside of the car to a greater or lesser degree, and secondly, what do you do with them
if you need the floor space for another job?

I keep coming back to a two post lift, with the posts mounted "in the walls" and the arms folded back against
the walls when not in use.
In the top pic below there's nothing on the underside of that car that you can't get to.
The problem is in the second pic. Those dims don't match my garage and a bit of cut & shut would be needed.
Maybe easier, for me anyway, than digging up the concrete floor to create a sunken area.
There are several items in that floor that I wouldn't want to have to get out. The rear end of a Sierra for one.

Cheers everyone,
Paul G

2 post lift dims
2 post lift dims

britishtrident

posted on 21/7/11 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Lot of money for at most 1 metre clear of the deck --- invest in a couple of high lift jacks and high stands
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.