Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will Clarkson's BBC Career Survive...
scootz

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Will Clarkson's BBC Career Survive...

... after his latest outburst?

*(he said on The One Show that striking public sector workers should be shot in front of their families)*

It's Evolution Baby!

john_p_b

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
imo yes, it's not the first time he's said something controversial and it won't be the last, top gear has a massive market and without jezza there is no top gear.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Lets hope not the prize pr*ck
designer

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thing is I agree with him.

Every worker should get the same pension reward, and the same retirement age.

Why should some be more privileged than another?

Mind you, I also think Top Gear is rubbish!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting fed up with him. That comment was nothing about 'telling it like it is' and everything about 'look at me, look at me, look at me... I'M JEREMY CLARKSON'

It's Evolution Baby!

Irony

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
His career will survive because the people who care about his comments don't matter and the people that matter don't care.

In my personal opinion (I am preparing to be shot at for this) public sector should in no way be striking over pensions or anything for that matter. Striking is actually costing the country money and the country is in dire financial problems as it is. How is striking going to help us all as a nation long term???

Clarkson is a burk however!

FASTdan

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I'm getting fed up with him. That comment was nothing about 'telling it like it is' and everything about 'look at me, look at me, look at me... I'M JEREMY CLARKSON'

Yep, he used to be funny, off-the-cuff, cutting etc. Now its all just trying too hard. Much like top gear. And I cant imagine how predictable this years clarkson DVD will be......

[Edited on 1/12/11 by FASTdan]

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
designer

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sure the 'shoot them' comment was typical Clarkeson rubbish, but his comment regarding 'protected pensions, early retirement and low stress jobs' was just.

The 'public purse' is protected, why should they be different from the majority who have to work till 65+ on 100 a week?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
This thread is useless without video!

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

rb968

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Let's face it, he was on to promote his latest book and DVD so he wanted to be controversial. In context he said he thought he strikes were good as the roads were quiet then said as this is the Bbc we must show both sides so I think they should be taken out and shot.

It wasn't "offensive" to me. Just seen the head of unison describe it as incitement against union workers !

She also said that because others had been sacked for less he should be sacked. I'm sure she would support that sort of rule towards her members by their employers!

I didnt see the comment about suicide by train.

Latest in a long line of over sensitive reporting if you ask me. Do you think he really wants to execute teachers who strike?

Stupid thing to say on national telly at 7pm though. If you don't like what he said, call him a cock and forget about it.

My 2 penneth.

Rich

scootz

posted on 1/12/11 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
... but his comment regarding 'protected pensions, early retirement and low stress jobs' was just.

But it's somewhat ridiculous when that comment was made by someone who drives fast cars and spouts sh*te in return for an astronomical salary!

It's Evolution Baby!

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Top gear watchers are gay
Irony

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR

Do you have book or a DVD coming out for Christmas?

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2750
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
quote:
Originally posted by CRAIGR

Do you have book or a DVD coming out for Christmas?

Yes.

MikeRJ

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
... but his comment regarding 'protected pensions, early retirement and low stress jobs' was just.

But it's somewhat ridiculous when that comment was made by someone who drives fast cars and spouts sh*te in return for an astronomical salary!

He was asked for his opinion and he gave it. Why should it be more or less valid because he happens to earn a lot of money? Why do people automatically assume his opinion should be that of the majority?

As always, people love to hate Clarkson; the whingers can't help but listen to him just so they have something to moan about. Clarkson then delights in upsetting the whingers even more, and I applaud him for it. If said whingers truly believe his views were worthless they shouldn't listen to them.

I happen to agree that public sector workers should not be striking, though I understand their sentiments. Perhaps they should be offered the alternative of the average private sector pension with no change in retirement age, but I can't see them being very happy about that either.

Peteff

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Let's all go and camp in his garden on the Isle of Man and listen to him rant about that How could anybody take anything he says seriously, he's a big buffoon.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

britishtrident

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
His suicide remarks on the same programme were even more out of order.

Why did the BBC keep Top Gear but chicken out of F1, I would bet Top Gear costs more per hour than full F1 coverage.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

jeffw

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
For god sake stop whinging about F1. BBC pay out large amounts of money to Bernie to show cars going round in circles. TopGear makes big money for the BBC which is why they put up with Clarkson et al. If they close it down they would go somewhere else and still earn the money, Andy Wilman is very clever about this and they have developed a brand which pays very nicely.

phelpsa

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
His suicide remarks on the same programme were even more out of order.

Why did the BBC keep Top Gear but chicken out of F1, I would bet Top Gear costs more per hour than full F1 coverage.

I think you'll find that TG makes the beeb a lot more than it spends making it! It funds itself, costs us nothing.

Irony

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
For god sake stop whinging about F1. BBC pay out large amounts of money to Bernie to show cars going round in circles. TopGear makes big money for the BBC which is why they put up with Clarkson et al. If they close it down they would go somewhere else and still earn the money, Andy Wilman is very clever about this and they have developed a brand which pays very nicely.

He can whinge about the F1 if he wants. Personally now the F1 is gone the only reason I pay the TV license is for David Attenborough. There is very little of worth on the BBC. I begrudge paying the licence fee at all.

britishtrident

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw

ISTR some years back BBC sold the rights to Top Gear to Clarkston and his buddies.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

RK

posted on 1/12/11 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
His populist right wing drivel is tiring, but as with our own Don Cherry (who is a lot milder than JC), some people love him. Funny til you are on the receiving end; then it's not so funny. I think the Nazis did similar things, with the same effect, although, of course, I am in no way comparing Mr. Clarkson to a band of German/Austrian thugs from the 1930's and 40's.

I tend to agree with Mr. Scootz (again, sadly).

[Edited on 1/12/11 by RK]

mookaloid

posted on 1/12/11 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
If he meant (and I suspect he did) that the public sector workers bang out of order and should be ashamed of themselves then he was right - he just has this way of saying stuff in an OTT way and probably in bad taste sometimes too which is fine with me.

He is totally harmless and a bit of a comedian doing his particular brand of 'comedy'

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

angliamotorsport

posted on 1/12/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
clarkson

I agree with Clarkson's general view, maybe not shooting though and as for top gear, yes he is a knob, the Hamster is a waste of space, mind you a very small space, but it does make good entertainment as opposed to serious car stuff.

Oh, and being a watcher of top gear makes me "gay", nothing against gays, but that deserves a smack, happy to oblige any time.

bobinspain

posted on 1/12/11 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman
quote:
Thing is I agree with him.

Every worker should get the same pension reward, and the same retirement age.

Why should some be more privileged than another?

Mind you, I also think Top Gear is rubbish!

It is a well known fact that civil servants are paid well below what the public sector are paid. I work for the MOD and I get job satisfaction knowing that what I do is worthwhile and is actually of benefit to our serving soldiers, but the pay is crap and the only saving grace is that there may be a reasonable pension at the end of all the dedication I have put in to helping out those who's lives may depend upon what I do.
Not all civil servants are on £100,000+pa in actual fact most of use earn about 20% of that so do not paint us all with the same brush, thinking that we are only after a free ride and looking for a guilt edged retirement.
I am a technician of 30 years experience and 10 years ago I was earning 50% more than I am now but hated the fact that I was just making the Board of Directors and the shareholders rich and not really contributing to society in any useful way apart from paying tax.
My pension after over 20 years of service, at 65, will be around £6000pa, hardly a fortune, as long as the Government do not retrospectivly change the rules which is what they have done to some workers and probably will again before my time is up.
Lastly, No I did not go on strike.

1. I think you're mixing up your public and private sectors. (painful).

2. If you qualify for only £6k pa after 20 yrs service, I assume you will have tax-free-cash on top of your annual pension, since the accrual rate is, I believe an eightieth for each year worked plus cash, (which equates to a sixtieth scheme: like the teachers). Were you to take pension only, (no cash) your annual pension should represent a third of your final salary, (twenty sixtieths). To buy an index-linked (say £8k pa) pension for a 65 yr old with spouses benefit (automatically costed, whether required or not) would require a 'pot' of around £160,000.
I doubt very much whether you and your employer combined would have been willing to make contributions of sufficient size to build up a pot of that size in the private sector.

3. I believe the latest Govt pension proposals include the use of 'average salary' over the working life, index linked of course up to the date of retirement. That will greatly advantage folk in your position who find that they earn less (easing down, part-time work etc) in their later years of employment.

4. Re' Clarkson: He makes his living (and he may yet lose it) by his use of hyperbole. My own opinion is that he's grossly overpaid or under-talented, but it may be both.

5. I salute you for not striking and for not joining the ranks of those who really do not understand the problem.

[Edited on 1/12/11 by bobinspain]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.