Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2014 F1 engines. 1.6 v6 turbo
daniel mason

posted on 10/12/11 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
2014 F1 engines. 1.6 v6 turbo

What sort of power are these units expected to make for the 2014 season. And what will they sound like compared to the current 2.4 liter v8

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 10/12/11 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Are they rev limited like the current engines? If not i'd expect an even higher pitched scream as i'd guess they'd go really short stroke but quieter (due to the turbo).
designer

posted on 10/12/11 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
They will certainly NOt sound like the best F1 sound ever - Ferrari 3ltr V12.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zilspeed

posted on 10/12/11 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
They're tubocharged, therefore muted.
They have less cylinders, therefore lower pitched engine note.
They have a lower rev limit, see above.

It doesn't bode well.

The days of 20,000 rpm V8s and V10s are gone forever.

mrwibble

posted on 10/12/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
well in 1988

(from wikipedia

"1988 Honda with its RA168E turbo V6 producing 685 hp (511 kW) at 12500 rpm" which was 1.5l?

I think i read 800bhp was the aim (don't know if that was with kers) but i can't find the article on the bbc now. no idea what the rev limit will be.

balidey

posted on 10/12/11 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
V16 BRM, 1.5 litre supercharged produced around 600hp. That was in the mid 50's.
Now THAT engine note was something.
You've never lived until you've heard the BRM V16 go past at speed.
Lets hope we're heading that was again.

Dutch bears have terrible skin due to their clogged paws

zilspeed

posted on 10/12/11 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrwibble
well in 1988

(from wikipedia

"1988 Honda with its RA168E turbo V6 producing 685 hp (511 kW) at 12500 rpm" which was 1.5l?

I think i read 800bhp was the aim (don't know if that was with kers) but i can't find the article on the bbc now. no idea what the rev limit will be.

Listen to the honda compared to a current engine though.

Blehhh....

mrwibble

posted on 10/12/11 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
well the move to v6 turbos with small capacity isn't to please the ears of spectators its to encourage more money from eco-conscious sponsors and manufacturers - there is talk of VW producing engines. TBH the only thing i really care about is close racing, the soundtrack is not really an issue.
40inches

posted on 10/12/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balidey
V16 BRM, 1.5 litre supercharged produced around 600hp. That was in the mid 50's.
Now THAT engine note was something.
You've never lived until you've heard the BRM V16 go past at speed.
Lets hope we're heading that was again.

Still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up You Tube

MikeRJ

posted on 10/12/11 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
well the move to v6 turbos with small capacity isn't to please the ears of spectators its to encourage more money from eco-conscious sponsors and manufacturers - there is talk of VW producing engines. TBH the only thing i really care about is close racing, the soundtrack is not really an issue.

For me (and I suspect a majority of F1 fans) the sound of F1 cars is an essential part of it's appeal.

mrwibble

posted on 10/12/11 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
for the majority of fans who watch it on tele, and can't really hear the cars properly anyway?

if it was a real spectator sport, and not just a once in a year occasion to actually be trackside (if your lucky), i might agree.

zilspeed

posted on 10/12/11 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
F1 cars must sound like nothing else on earth.

If they sound like lesser formulae, what's the point ?

As it is, Renault World Series cars will sound better.

mrwibble

posted on 10/12/11 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed

what do you mean what is the point? the point is the fastest cars, with the most skilled drivers, its not a competition for blind people to judge which one sounds best.

do you think the drivers care what it sounds like? no they just care what its like to drive and if it makes them competitive.

Mr G

posted on 10/12/11 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The days of 20,000 rpm V8s and V10s are gone forever.

People thought the same thing about the use of ground effect & turbo's

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

zilspeed

posted on 10/12/11 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

what do you mean what is the point? the point is the fastest cars, with the most skilled drivers, its not a competition for blind people to judge which one sounds best.

do you think the drivers care what it sounds like? no they just care what its like to drive and if it makes them competitive.

I bet the drivers do care what it sound like.
So do the teams.

That's why the rules were rejigged from 4 cylinder engines to V6s. To please the teams and the people that pay the bills.

Bernie cares too.

It's a sport which must thrill all of the senses. That includes the sound.

mrwibble

posted on 10/12/11 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm. thats a bit like saying the driver and the teams would want the car that looks the sharpest, when really they just want the car that wins, and they wouldn't really care if it was a dog and sounded like duck farting.

To some extent i agree the thrill and atmosphere of being at the race is important, but i think close battling races and a close championship would more likely please the crowd, and bernie as it would increase his audiences world wide.

I for one wouldn't be pleased for a race to be boring but sound great and nor would the X k people in the stands.

Not that 1.6 turbo engines have anything to do with close racing, but neither does sound for that matter.

+ we haven't even heard the cars yet... so lets wait and see?

MikeRJ

posted on 10/12/11 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
for the majority of fans who watch it on tele, and can't really hear the cars properly anyway?

if it was a real spectator sport, and not just a once in a year occasion to actually be trackside (if your lucky), i might agree.

Especialy when watching on a TV the engine sounds give much of the atmosphere that makes F1 races interesting. If you are going to have droning 4 pots you might as well stick to watching something like Formula Ford which at least gives closer racing and more battles than the average F1 race these days.

Dangle_kt

posted on 10/12/11 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
electric will be the propulsion of choice in the next decade or so.

Pretty much silent, but I'm certain will outmatch an ICE engine soon.

Nash

posted on 10/12/11 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Some sounds should be preserved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK0vIXwxO9c

................ Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

scudderfish

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
Renault 1.5l V6 turbo of the 80's got towards 1200bhp

http://www.gurneyflap.com/renaultef15.html

phelpsa

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
As I understand it there is a rev limit of 15k and there will also be a boost limit. These will be adjusted in subsequent seasons to achieve performance that the FIA deem suitable, but at the start we're looking at 750ish bhp plus 120kw (160bhp) of KERS from compound charging and conventional recovery. We were reassured in a lecture last year by a Merc HPE design engineer that noise was going to be a 'serious consideration'.

[Edited on 10-12-11 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 10/12/11 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Renault 1.5l V6 turbo of the 80's got towards 1200bhp

http://www.gurneyflap.com/renaultef15.html

Simply beautiful.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Johneturbo

posted on 10/12/11 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Like the majority have said the sound is very important, we went up to MK today for the redbull demo and the sound was the most impressive thing for us, not seeing mark webber or vettel
having said that they didn't sound proper loud(like at goodwood festival) so wonder if they had muted them a little to be able to run on the public roads!

mrwibble

posted on 10/12/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Especialy when watching on a TV the engine sounds give much of the atmosphere that makes F1 races interesting. If you are going to have droning 4 pots you might as well stick to watching something like Formula Ford which at least gives closer racing and more battles than the average F1 race these days.

i don't think the noise from my tele gives me a tenth of the atmosphere of being at the track, but then again u might have a better set of speakers than me. F1 apart from being one of the few motorsports available on what was terrestial tv, is the pinnacle of motorsport engineering where the best drivers in the world compete and i want to see them a gnats arsehole from the edge. IMO f1 has become much more entertaining of late, and its not the noise thats attracted people. BTW i like a nice noise like everyone else, i just don't think f1 is spoilt because v8+ engines aren't currently in fashion.

oh and its amazing what engineers can do to an exhaust note if they want to, the days of organic beautiful sounds is well over methinks.

to end, i think we should thank ourselves lucky we haven't reached the end of the internal combustion engines, if ur upset by v6 turbos god knows what you lot will do then...

[Edited on 10/12/11 by mrwibble]

[Edited on 10/12/11 by mrwibble]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.