Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Denso alternator testing
se7ensport

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Denso alternator testing

I have a used Edge Caterham alternator on my Duratec, it looks just like a Nippon Denso one from a Chirade.

I can't get the ignition light to come on when not running, I have it wired correctly i.e. switched ignition+ to one side of the warning light, the other side to the lamp output on the alternator. And another switched ignition+ to the ign+ input on the alternator.

I thought I may have connected the wires around the wrong way during the build so contacted Cambridge Motorsport parts who suggested I could have killed the regulator, so i bought and fitted a new one tonight, yet the problem persists.

What tests can I do to check the alternator and regulator?

Cheers
Alex

ps connecting the warning light straight to earth does illuminate it!

JAMSTER

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
any help

blakep82

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
what kind of warning lamp? not an LED one is it? you need a filament bulb (at least somewhere) to give the right load.
if led, it might not be letting the current the right way, as they are diodes

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

se7ensport

posted on 22/3/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Wired exactly as type 1 and instructions: http://www.cambridgemotorsport.com/shop_product.cfm/product_id/8149

Just been playing with it again and using an LED between the ignition and the lamp output will illuminate, everything I've read before implies that an LED shouldn't work?!

The dash lamp I'm using worked fine with the Pinto alternator.

Mr G

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=115173

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

se7ensport

posted on 22/3/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, will have a further play tomorrow.
se7ensport

posted on 23/3/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like the alternator is dead; I'm not seeing any voltage increase with reving the engine and the lamp output remains at zero vaults when the engine is running.

As I'm reluctant to pay £200 for a replacement Edge alternator I'm looking to find an alternative, the Charade looks a promising start, but the main battery lead comes in the wrong side so re-caseing it could be an option.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.