Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leaving Sky - credit?
lsdweb

posted on 13/6/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Leaving Sky - credit?

Hi All

We're on the verge of leaving Sky as they have been unable to resolve a problem (which they know about but won't acknowledge!). Because of the problems, they have credited our account but I want to leave and access this credit (it's over £300!)

Does anybody know if this is possible or has anybody done it? I know I can ask Sky but I wanted to find out if anybody has done it before they tell me no!

The problem, by the way, is a conflict between Sky HD boxes and certain makes of TV when using HDMI - this results in the Sky box giving all sorts of errors like failed recording etc. The only solution is to use Scart which kind of defeats the object of having HD!

We're thinking of BT Vision as a replacement.

Ta in advance

Wyn

blakep82

posted on 13/6/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
i used to work in their customer services, as you'll know, monthly payments are made in advance, (so if you made a payment today, then that covers you for viewing from today til 13th july, if you cancelled next week, you've be due credit back from the day you cancelled til, the 13th july and thats refunded back into the DD account, thats just a bit of background though)

so, yes, if you cancelled, you'd be due that money back, and it will be refunded back to the account your payments come from, or card if you pay by card. can take a few weeks to go through, but you will get the money, as the refunding of credit is standard practice, and the credit is not just a good will thing, but credit for payments you've made for service you've not had

[Edited on 13/6/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

lsdweb

posted on 13/6/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks blake!! They've credited our account for eight months worth of viewing and we'll be leaving in a month I think so I want to make sure I get it before leaving!

The funny thing is they still want to send an engineer even though the problem is in the software! And even funnier is the engineer who usually calls lives not far from me and does a bit of rallying so we spend most of the time in my garage!

blakep82

posted on 13/6/12 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
if i remember rightly, they won't really refund your bank account if the sky account is still active. I mean they CAN, they just prefer not to. they'd rather that if you stayed with then, you get several months that you've already payed for.

if you want the money back before cancelling, phone up, lay it on thick, say you really need the money back, you've got other bills to pay that you could really do with the money back for.

if they won't, then you WILL get the money back after cancelling, don't worry about that. its your money!

if they want to send an engineer, they'll insist on doing it to keep you as a customer, but keep at them saying you want to cancel, they can't force you to stay, although depending how long you've had the HD box, you might be stuck in contract, if you are in contract, and they're being an arse, they might charge you for the rest of the contract time, which is charged at the minimum rate (ie 1 basic package, i think thats about £20 a month). a replacement box might work though. I think it was only some boxes that had the issue.
if you haven't already, you could try a software download. the box downloads its OS through the satelite system, something to do with switching off at the wall, pressing the back up button on the box, NOT the remote, and keep holding it down while you turn it on the box back on, and keep holding it till all the lights come on the box, and a message appears on screen. then leave it for about 20 minutes til the message goes away, then press the sky button on the remote

[Edited on 13/6/12 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

lsdweb

posted on 13/6/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
They've already told me I can leave after giving 30 days notice (they're probably fed up with me by now!).

We replaced the box a few months ago and have the latest software downloaded. It is a specific software fault with Technika, Baird and maybe a few other makes of TV - I have a copy of their internal technical memo but haven't needed to play that joker yet! I could change the TV but that's not the point!

Mr G

posted on 13/6/12 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
The Thomson sky HD box has component output as well as HDMI. So if the TV has component that could be an alternative to still output HD although it would need to be an upgraded psu Thomson box as the standard ones came with dodgy capacitors.

They will also not receive Anytime+ or the new EPG update that's being rolled out soon.

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

leeswesty

posted on 13/6/12 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
You will not get a Thomson box as we dont do them any more sky make there own boxes now as they took over amstrad in order to control the quality of the new boxes have any one who as called to your house changed the cable or have you got an alarm on your house with pri censer in the room with the sky box i cany see why your tv will stop it recording i have worked for sky for 5 years and not come across any tv that has this problem mate

Live life to the max

Mr G

posted on 13/6/12 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leeswesty
You will not get a Thomson box as we dont do them any more sky make there own boxes now

Yes I know, thats why I said it had to be an upgraded box - i.e from someone like Satcure or the various ebay sellers etc. Not an option at the top of the list but still viable if it bypasses a hdmi problem and still allows sky to be used instead of forking out for a new set. I use one as my main box btw just for the component out as it allows me to record the saved programs in hd via my hd-pvr

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.