Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 8inch tablet
Wheels244

posted on 27/12/12 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Yes - the cheap Archos thing.
I was chuffed to buttons to start with - everything worked ok - then screen went black and refused to turn back on.
It's been on charge for 28hrs now and still won't switch on.
Not an isolated thing for Archos products according to the forums I searched - money back time.
I'll invest more money in something of better quality.

craig1410

posted on 28/12/12 at 12:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels244
Well, I'll be taking my cheap piece of sh*t back tomorrow.
Been all over the t'internet for a fix - can't find one.
It would appear to be French crap made by the Chinese.
Should have known better - buy cheap, buy twice !!

My wife has had an iPad for over a year - not missed a beat.
Lesson learnt.

I wondered how long it would take before this happened...I hope you get your money back without any hassles.

Best to stick to the mainstream when it comes to tablets as there is a lot of cheap tat out there. At the moment that means iPad (10" and 8" ) then some way behind the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HD. The Microsoft Surface is still gaining momentum (read, failing to sell...) but will probably get there eventually.

If it seems too good to be true...

[Edited on 28/12/2012 by craig1410]

Davey D

posted on 28/12/12 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:

Lesson learnt.

I wondered how long it would take before this happened...I hope you get your money back without any hassles.

Best to stick to the mainstream when it comes to tablets as there is a lot of cheap tat out there. At the moment that means iPad (10" and 8" ) then some way behind the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HD. The Microsoft Surface is still gaining momentum (read, failing to sell...) but will probably get there eventually.

So what makes you think the high end android tablets are "some way behind" the rival apple products?

franky

posted on 28/12/12 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
they're all made in China, most things in the world are. You can read just as many horror stories about overpriced Ipads.
imp paul

posted on 28/12/12 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
i have a pal who fixes ipads for his job and i popped in to say hello. while i was there i got to see inside a new ipad OMG all it has is massive battery's and a very small pcb the same as the iphone 4 at the bottom of the case you dont get much for your hard earned penny's so im happy to have a pad at less cost as there's nothing inside them any way lol so far archos 80 cobalt is working fine and is very fast not bad for £50

craig1410

posted on 28/12/12 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
quote:
quote:

Lesson learnt.

So what makes you think the high end android tablets are "some way behind" the rival apple products?

Well, given the context of my sentence was "mainstream" tablets, I don't think there is much doubt that the iPad is leading the way by a country mile both in terms of past and present sales volumes. Even more so when you consider how many cheap tablets are bought then returned or never used again after a week or so. More so again when you learn that Apple only count a "sale" when it reaches an end user when everyone else counts a sale when it is shipped to distributors and resellers.

Edit: Just saw this which illustrates my point quite well.
http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/12/28/ipad-continues-to-make-huge-majority-of-tablet-web-traffic

Wheels244

posted on 28/12/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Update:

Apologies to the OP for minor thread hijack.

I returned the tablet to Tesco - no dramas offered me a refund or a replacement - being totally hypocritical following my previous comments about these, I accepted a replacement :-)

Let's see how long this one lasts.
I will be keeping the receipt in a safe place.

For those that may still want one - they're on the shelves at £69.00

imp paul

posted on 28/12/12 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
that's all good then glad you got it sorted i have left mine on all day and it works fine lol go to android market and type archos and get the free codac pack works mint
karlak

posted on 28/12/12 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
I never actually got myself one after posting this...

Is it true that these wont charge from a USB connected to anything other than the mains charger ?

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Wheels244

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
I never actually got myself one after posting this...

Is it true that these wont charge from a USB connected to anything other than the mains charger ?

Not too sure on this one - if it does charge from USB it does it VERY slowly - much better to use the mains charger.

Wheels244

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imp paul
that's all good then glad you got it sorted i have left mine on all day and it works fine lol go to android market and type archos and get the free codac pack works mint

What does the Codac pack do Paul ?
Forgive me - I'm a total novice with Android stuff - I hear a lot about rooting it, but I have no idea what that is or why you would do it.

Cheers

Rob

Peteff

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
What does the Codac pack do Paul ?

Codec packs are to play movies and music. DivX, XviD, mp3 and various other formats along with quicktime and the like so you can use it for youtube and all the other entertaining stuff on the interweb.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

imp paul

posted on 29/12/12 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
cheers pete also u2u sent to rob
MikeRJ

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Well, given the context of my sentence was "mainstream" tablets, I don't think there is much doubt that the iPad is leading the way by a country mile both in terms of past and present sales volumes.

Sales volumes mean nothing in terms of the actual product. Apple has probably some of the best marketing in the world, and they have turned the iPhone/Pad/Pod into a 'must have' fashion accessory. Just like designer clothes, people will pay stupid money for something just so other people can see them wearing/using it.

That's not to say their products are rubbish, far from it in most cases, but you can certainly get a hell of lot more bang for the buck with an Android tablet.

[Edited on 29/12/12 by MikeRJ]

dlatch

posted on 29/12/12 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
As a fairly recent user to Android devices i am sold tbh it does most of what a apple product does at half the cost whats not to like ?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 29/12/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:

Well, given the context of my sentence was "mainstream" tablets, I don't think there is much doubt that the iPad is leading the way by a country mile both in terms of past and present sales volumes.

Sales volumes mean nothing in terms of the actual product. Apple has probably some of the best marketing in the world, and they have turned the iPhone/Pad/Pod into a 'must have' fashion accessory. Just like designer clothes, people will pay stupid money for something just so other people can see them wearing/using it.

That's not to say their products are rubbish, far from it in most cases, but you can certainly get a hell of lot more bang for the buck with an Android tablet.

[Edited on 29/12/12 by MikeRJ]

Well, actually in the context of what is "mainstream", sales volumes mean quite a lot!

Also, you may be interested to learn that Samsung's marketing budget dwarfs most companies, especially Apple. See here for details: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-samsungs-massive-marketing-budget-2012-11

Finally, speaking as someone who makes their living from a combination of iOS and Web 2.0 web development and who uses iOS devices to conduct and organise my business, and speaking as someone who doesn't care or have a clue about fashion, I would call BS your other argument too. There are certainly those who have jumped on the Apple bandwagon in the last few years as other companies have failed to respond to the iPhone and iPad and even the Macbook Air. There are others, such as myself, who have been Apple users since long before it became "fashionable"...

If you want to jailbreak your Apple devices then you can (and I have done in the past) but they work much better i you leave them alone and you don't have the same hassles with malware etc as you do with Android.

Each to their own...

Cheers,
Craig.

Davey D

posted on 29/12/12 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've had to return one of these Archos tablets, as the wifi didn't work at all :-( I decided to get my money back, and im going to get a nexus 7 16gb when they come back into stock :-)
zilspeed

posted on 30/12/12 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is working fine and does all I could want.

I have a brand new Galaxy tab 2 here for comparison.

It stacks up well.

MikeRJ

posted on 30/12/12 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Also, you may be interested to learn that Samsung's marketing budget dwarfs most companies, especially Apple. See here for details: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-samsungs-massive-marketing-budget-2012-11

Samsung have a vastly broader range of products than Apple, so this is hardly surprising. However, I said nothing about the amount of money spent on marketing in my reply, simply that Apple are masters of the art.

quote:
Finally, speaking as someone who makes their living from a combination of iOS and Web 2.0 web development and who uses iOS devices to conduct and organise my business, and speaking as someone who doesn't care or have a clue about fashion, I would call BS your other argument too.

So no possible bias there then

quote:
and who uses iOS devices to conduct and organise my business, and speaking as someone who doesn't care or have a clue about fashion, I would call BS your other argument too.

With the greatest respect, you don't reflect the typical Apple product owner

quote:
you don't have the same hassles with malware etc as you do with Android.

I've not had any malware problems with any of the numerous android devices I own, but then again I don't tend to install random apps download from dubious sources and I don't root the devices. IOS is not immune to such attacks either, though Android does seem to present more of a target.

coozer

posted on 30/12/12 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone confirm if Skygo works on this device please?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

zilspeed

posted on 30/12/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Can anyone confirm if Skygo works on this device please?

It doesn't at this point, that's a definite.
Please bear in mind that it's very early days for this tablet.

I can confirm that Iplayer works as does ITVplayer.

Dunbikin

posted on 30/12/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
ITV player

quote:

I can confirm that Iplayer works as does ITVplayer.

Hi,
How do you get ITV player to work. When I tried it said I had to install Silverlight, then when I tried to do that it said not compatible with device.

Thanks

Ron said it would cost 250 quid. My wife thinks it did.

craig1410

posted on 30/12/12 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm starting to see the attraction of Android now...the anticipation of whether it will do what you want to do, followed by the social interaction of trying to find someone who can get it to work and then the uncertainty of whether it will eventually work or not. Sounds exciting!

FYI, Sky Go works on the iPad and iPad Mini (despite being in its early days) as they all run the same latest version of iOS. Also, you can run iPlayer, ITV Player, 4 on demand, Netflix and a bunch of other similar services.

Sorry, couldn't resist - please take with a large helping of festive cheer as intended.

Edit: On a more constructive note, here is an article which discusses this Sky Go issue. http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sky-infuriates-android-fans-with-limited-support-for-sky-go-50009898/

[Edited on 30/12/2012 by craig1410]

franky

posted on 30/12/12 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm starting to see the attraction of Android now...the anticipation of whether it will do what you want to do, followed by the social interaction of trying to find someone who can get it to work and then the uncertainty of whether it will eventually work or not. Sounds exciting!

FYI, Sky Go works on the iPad and iPad Mini (despite being in its early days) as they all run the same latest version of iOS. Also, you can run iPlayer, ITV Player, 4 on demand, Netflix and a bunch of other similar services.

Sorry, couldn't resist - please take with a large helping of festive cheer as intended.

Edit: On a more constructive note, here is an article which discusses this Sky Go issue. http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/sky-infuriates-android-fans-with-limited-support-for-sky-go-50009898/

Must be because you're comparing a £50 device against one that retails for 5 times as much. I like apple stuff but it is a case of last years technology, polished and overpriced

craig1410

posted on 30/12/12 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
quote:

Must be because you're comparing a £50 device against one that retails for 5 times as much. I like apple stuff but it is a case of last years technology, polished and overpriced

You'd have to be very poorly informed to believe that. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you we're kidding.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.