Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Smart TV - info please
russbost

posted on 22/2/13 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Smart TV - info please

I have to replace an ageing Plasma 42" TV, now everything in this sort of size or a bit bigger seems to be HD now & 3D seems to be almost standard too, & it doesn't seem to be a lot more to have a "smart TV" - now in my ignorance I assume that a smart tv has a basic computer & wifi built in to allow it to access internet content, email & web based tv channels? I also note that there is now freeview HD, which doesn't seem to be on all sets, or is it just that not everyone advertises that they've got it cos they think you'd automatically know that (I don't!)?

Now I'm not interested in Sky, purely what's available as standard free channels, first are the above assumptions re what a smart tv does for me correct & second any particular features that I should look out for which are a major improvement without spending loads of extra money - I see that whilst plasma is still available (seems to be a fair bit cheaper) the flagship models all seem to be LED backlit LCD? I'm guessing that's fairly important for best HD & 3D picture???

Any info welcome, particularly anything to watch out for, steer clear of etc.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Slimy38

posted on 22/2/13 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Freeview isn't really promoted any more as there is no alternative now that analogue has been switched off. It's Freeview or satellite/cable. HD is similar, although you should still check that it's actually 1080 HD (commonly known as full HD) as I have seen some large TV's being only HD ready (720p). And on your size screen you will notice the difference.

My mate has one of the massive Samsung screens with all sorts of widgets, unfortunately it's the sort of thing you'd spend half an hour using then go back to the remote! He tried to demonstrate the voice and face recognition, he got it working eventually but it seemed a lot of hassle just to change the channel.

I will admit the 3D picture was good (he showed me Avatar) but again after half an hour I'd lost interest. And I consider myself to be a bit of a geek when it comes to gadgets.

The only thing I might have been interested in was the ability to 'throw' content from my Galaxy S2 on to the screen. Unfortunately we couldn't get it working.

Dunbikin

posted on 22/2/13 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Unless your going to get Sky tv with the 3D channels or a bluray player which can play 3D films, I wouldn't bother with 3D (You still need to wear 3D glasses with them anyway). If your getting one with inbuilt Freeview, make sure it is true HD as a lot of HD screens just come with standard definition Freeview. LED is defiantly the way to go, they are much lighter than plasmas, last longer and better viewing angles. A Smart TV is a good investment, it is one of those things that once you've got it you will wonder how you lived without it.

Nigel

Ron said it would cost 250 quid. My wife thinks it did.

SeanStone

posted on 22/2/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Smart TV will allow you to surf the web and access online content such as netflix, love film, iplayer etc all from your TV

LED is the newest technology and is also the most energy efficient, so naturally, is being pushed.

In my opinion, although the good LED's are striking, they don't give the realism and depth of colour that a decent plasma can offer, especially for the money. LED's are brighter, but what you're looking for is a TV's ability to make the difference between the whitest white and the darkest black. This is something plasmas are very good with. They also have a far better refresh rate, so if you watch sport or anything fast paced, you will see the difference

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-p50ut50b-plasma-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-50-inch-with-freeview-hd/p231822907

That would be a good upgrade. Has all the smart tv functions, 3d, hd freeview tuner etc and has the same panel (minus anti glare coating) as the model up which fetches around £1500

Go and check some out at the shops and see what you think, you might be hard pushed to actually find a working plasma on display however

Keeping with the locost theme, you'll get far far more bank for your buck with plasma, especially the one linked

Check out some reviews on AVForums. They're highly impartial and use rigorous testing. The people who post on there are generally pretty clued up too

[Edited on 22/2/13 by SeanStone]

monck

posted on 22/2/13 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
I went with a Panasonic LED (47" if i remember right)

Its a smart tv , Although prior to getting it home i didn't really see the point of this..

I don't know the full capability's but dont think its a browser as such able to view websites ect .. However i use mine for iplayer to catch up on things i have missed and i like searching youtube on the big screen You can also use netflix and some news sites not available on the free view channels ..

I have the standard built in freeview as i don't have sky ect but more than happy ...

Mine is not 3d out of choice i wouldn't sit in my living room relaxing wearing 3d glasses even tho im a fan of 3d films in the cinema

I was surprised how much most places would move on price for a sale !!

Jasper

posted on 22/2/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I would saved the cash you'd spend on a smart TV and get a really nice quality (LG or Samsung) backlit LED for say around £700 then get yourself an Home Theatre PC to sit underneath it. That way you get all the advantages of a PC, you can have it as a PVR, download (legally or not) all the movies and TV progs you could ever want without being restricted by Netflix etc, get the best from all the channels iPlayers, use it as a Blu-Ray player, watch 3D movies through it, browse the web, play games, etc, etc, etc and be able to upgrade it easily and cheaply when you need to, cos as we know there'll be a whole load of new TV's out in 3-5 years time that you might want.

Both my big TV's at home are linked up to a HTPC and on my network with a NAS HDD drive to store all my movies, TV progs and pictures. It really is very easy to set up (I'm no techie that's for sure) and FAR more flexible than a smart TV for the same money.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Slimy38

posted on 22/2/13 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dunbikin
If your getting one with inbuilt Freeview, make sure it is true HD as a lot of HD screens just come with standard definition Freeview.

Ooh, that is a bit sneaky! I'd have just assumed that a HD TV would come with HD freeview, thanks for the heads up.

russbost

posted on 22/2/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
One of the main reasons for backlit lcd is appears to be if you're viewing in a brightly lit room, otherwise there definitely does seem to be a lot of people saying plasma is better - can anyone confirm or deny this at all?

Thanx for all the info so far - that Panasonic 50" Plasma certainly looks tempting, particularle as it's even cheaper from Tesco's!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Jasper

posted on 22/2/13 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
A plasma will beat the picture on a low cost backlit LED for sure, BUT if you spend a decent amount on an LCD then the picture is better than plasma AND it uses less power, is lighter and thinner. I've got a £600 and a £1100 backlit LCD at home and you can really see the different between them.

bigfoot4616

posted on 22/2/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
i've got this one coming on tuesday from a local shop.
http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-p50gt50b-plasma-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-50-inch-with-freesat-freeview-hd/p231563474

in the shop it was sat next to a 50" samsung LED that was £1500. the LED was way to bright with unnatural colours. the salesman agreed that plasma was still ahead when it comes to picture quality as has the research i've done. both tv's had the same feed and you could really see the difference in black levels and colours.

i went for the GT model as it has freesat which i can use along side my sky box (no aerial on the house) and it also has a better panel than the UT. the ST is meant to be the same panel as the GT but the GT is THX certified.

i'm not sure if i'm all that bothered about 3D but as all the decent tv's have it will give it a try. again i'm not sure if i will use the smart functions much but iplayer and youtube on there will be handy.

i would say a home cinema sound system is a must with any flat panel.

bright rooms can be a problem with plasma, i just shut one side of the curtains if its really bright outside but in a room thats got a lot of windows i could see it being a problem.

edited to disagree with jasper

as i said above the much more expensive LED in the shop was not as good picture wise as the plasma i bought.
also weight of them has come down, the 50" is the same weight as the old 37" plasma it is replacing and i was very surprised at how thin it is, although they seem to be thinner the further up the range you go.
i will agree they do use more power but it isn't like any tv uses a lot anyway.

[Edited on 22/2/13 by bigfoot4616]

Jasper

posted on 22/2/13 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well, just to add

Plasma's always look good straight out of the box, LED's must be set up properly which never happens in shops, even John Lewis. If my LED it left on the standard settings your right, it's way too bright and the colours too harsh. But once it's set on Cinema THX setting it's a TOTALLY different animal, it's gives a wonderful soft deep colour just like a cinema screen, and you can set it to bright or dark room at the touch of a button.

And don't always believe the salesmen, they have a job to sell TV's, and more of the ones they need to get rid of like the old plasma's !!!

I always go by online reviews on forums like the AV Forum, proper techie geeks on their who know what they're talking about.

Looks like it's going to be CEC vs BEC all over again!

nick205

posted on 22/2/13 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
I would saved the cash you'd spend on a smart TV and get a really nice quality (LG or Samsung) backlit LED for say around £700 then get yourself an Home Theatre PC to sit underneath it. That way you get all the advantages of a PC, you can have it as a PVR, download (legally or not) all the movies and TV progs you could ever want without being restricted by Netflix etc, get the best from all the channels iPlayers, use it as a Blu-Ray player, watch 3D movies through it, browse the web, play games, etc, etc, etc and be able to upgrade it easily and cheaply when you need to, cos as we know there'll be a whole load of new TV's out in 3-5 years time that you might want.

Both my big TV's at home are linked up to a HTPC and on my network with a NAS HDD drive to store all my movies, TV progs and pictures. It really is very easy to set up (I'm no techie that's for sure) and FAR more flexible than a smart TV for the same money.

This is the way I plan to go when our Panasonic LCD screen gives up.

The reality IMHO of SMART TVs, PVRs and BluRays is actually pretty crap. Most have very frustrating menu systems and are painfully slow to navigate with the remote. Entering text (YouTube searches etc.) by remote is so painful I just can't be arsed with it.

A decent quality screen coupled to a media PC with a wireless keyboard must be a better option.

Jasper

posted on 22/2/13 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Oh it is, I don't even have a typical office set up for a PC at home anymore, we either use the HTPC's on the big TV's with full size wireless keyboards with built in mice, or the iPad for quick stuff. We have a network printer and a NAS that sit our in the utility room.

Once you realise how great HTPC's are you wonder how you did without them. We hardly use the Humax PVR anymore, everything is online on iplayers (except HD on Ch4) or available for download.

snapper

posted on 22/2/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Wait for Apple TV
The twin 27" Cinema displays I have on the works mac are something else
LED back lit, makes plasma look wooly
Yes you need an HD input for Freeview
Blue ray players offer better than HD as it also a componant signal and many have smart function.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

bigfoot4616

posted on 22/2/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Well, just to add

Plasma's always look good straight out of the box, LED's must be set up properly which never happens in shops, even John Lewis. If my LED it left on the standard settings your right, it's way too bright and the colours too harsh. But once it's set on Cinema THX setting it's a TOTALLY different animal, it's gives a wonderful soft deep colour just like a cinema screen, and you can set it to bright or dark room at the touch of a button.

And don't always believe the salesmen, they have a job to sell TV's, and more of the ones they need to get rid of like the old plasma's !!!

I always go by online reviews on forums like the AV Forum, proper techie geeks on their who know what they're talking about.

Looks like it's going to be CEC vs BEC all over again!

i also look on the AV forum, from what i've seen most still prefer plasma.

i'm sure the salesman would of made more selling me the LED at £500 more. shop was nothing like john lewis, its a small local store with a couple of viewing rooms with what looked like well set up tv's.

either way spending a grand upwards on a tv is going to get you a cracking picture whether its plasma or LED, for me though i'll stick with plasma for now.

coyoteboy

posted on 22/2/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not really a fan of plasma, always looks a bit "fluffy" somehow. I've had the opportunity to use a samsung smart tv (one of the £1100 42" ones) and the picture quality (watching HD stuff) is mindbogglingly good, and the smart tv features are lovely without the need to faff about with extra boxes. If I could afford one I would (OK, if I placed TV's above building cars in my priority list I probably would)!

russbost

posted on 22/2/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanx for all the input guys - unsurprising that people have differing opinions, one man's drink is another man's poison & all that!

Given that I think the picture on the existing 42" plasma (which isn't HD) was absolutely crystal clear I doubt I'll be disappointed with a 1080 HD picture whether plasma or lcd! But I have to say the TX-P50UT50B at £568 looks like a bargain - particularly as Panasonic have a deal whereby you can claim 2 pairs of active 3d glasses tho' I don't fancy paying over £400 more just to have freesat (which I don't have a dish to use anyway!), & certainly don't want to pay nearly a grand more to have an anti-glare coating!!!

All in all this would seem a Locost option!

Thanx again

coyoteboy

posted on 22/2/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Don't forget picture quality isn't just about resolution. There's some shocking HD TVs out there, with pasty contrast, ghosting and poor upscaling. And unless you only watch stuff on HD channels (there are not many and many don't broadcast in full HD quality all the time) you really want the standard def picture and upscaling to work nicely.

[Edited on 22/2/13 by coyoteboy]

bigfoot4616

posted on 22/2/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
don't leave it to long if you want the free glasses, offer ends at the end of the month.
russbost

posted on 22/2/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
If I stick with the decision will be bought b4 the end of the month, the glasses offer finishes end March, for purchases up to 28th Feb!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.