Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Waterproof suede material that they showed on topgear the other night...
computid

posted on 28/2/13 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Waterproof suede material that they showed on topgear the other night...

Hi all,

On top gear the other night when they were building their "Old people car" they used a suede-like material for the front seats that appeared to be water proof.

Does anybody know what its called or have a link to a supplier? It looks exactly what I've been looking for to do out my entire interior of the Minari's in.

Thanks!

Slimy38

posted on 28/2/13 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Alcantara? That's a synthetic suede, although I don't remember it being waterproof. It's probably a bit happier getting wet than suede is though.
MsD

posted on 28/2/13 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw it. It looker really smart.. No idea what it is, I fancy some though.

Mark.

CNHSS1

posted on 28/2/13 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
We sell office furniture, and a few seating manufacturers use that type of fabric although they are generally made to look like fabric rather than a suede effect. Some have a rubber like film on the back which makes them water and ahem urine proof, for healthcare uses. One range has whats called a nanoshere coating. U2u me your email address and will dig out the info and uk mill that makes it

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

whitestu

posted on 28/2/13 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Does anybody know what its called or have a link to a supplier? It looks exactly what I've been looking for to do out my entire interior of the Minari's in.

Two Minaris!

That's just greedy! Having had loads of 'suds I've always fancied one that can't rust.

Stu

bi22le

posted on 28/2/13 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
being a designer for a wheelchair and setting manufacture this is something i am very familiar with.

we use several fabrics but be warned they are lying little. no supprise there! we use waterproof fabrics, sure, but non like suade.

we use one called microcare which is clever but not cheap. it is very water resistant, stretches is anti bacterial to reduce breeding and feels very nice. we have it in different colours. black, navy blue, lime green, bright orange, turquoise, hot pink and purple. we dont have grey or white before you ask!

if people are interested then i can ask my bosses to price up a LCB special price. maybe in 1and 2 meter lengths?

ill ask tomorrow, get pics of colours and a spec. maybe put up a new topic to gauge a full interest.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

loggyboy

posted on 28/2/13 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Probably a normal material with scotchguard or similar.

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 28/2/13 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote

Mistral Motorsport

adithorp

posted on 28/2/13 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

I was just about to post that. Must learn to search the tube a bit quicker.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

CNHSS1

posted on 28/2/13 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Probably a normal material with scotchguard or similar.

No, scotchguards stops sh#t sticking, nanosphere and the like are a lifetime coating applied by the mills and makes liquids bead up like mercury.

If i get five mins tomorrow will video a bit with my phone

The healthcare fabrics such as bi22le mentioned are great, hardwaring and fit for purpose. A lot are anti microbial too, we seel them for docs receptions and old peoples care homes etc. Some can be cleaned with dilute bleach and remain unaffected.

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

bi22le

posted on 1/3/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a look at work and we have loads of differenent colours and types of fabric. Ill get more info on monday if I can.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Not Anumber

posted on 1/3/13 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
is someone expecting to share the sh*t out of their passengers ?

loggyboy

posted on 1/3/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CNHSS1
No, scotchguards stops sh#t sticking, nanosphere and the like are a lifetime coating applied by the mills and makes liquids bead up like mercury.

Scotchguard isnt one product, as a brand they do waterproofing as well as dirt protection.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWPws8kkDBM

Mistral Motorsport

Stott

posted on 1/3/13 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I've had "alcantara effect" vinyl before and trimmed a few motorbike seats with it. It's 100% waterproof and looks like suede until you touch it and it's just a cleverly patterned/textured vinyl.

I had it from a mate who's a trimmer but I've not been able to get it anywhere since

EDIT: you can sort of make it out here:

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

[Edited on 1/3/13 by Stott]

computid

posted on 1/3/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I have had a look at work and we have loads of differenent colours and types of fabric. Ill get more info on monday if I can.

Sounds great! How thick is it? Could it feasibly be used to carpet a car? I presume it's pretty hard wearing if you can make seat covers out of it.

quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Two Minaris!

That's just greedy! Having had loads of 'suds I've always fancied one that can't rust.

Stu

Lol, I got one and it turned into a big project so I got another to drive which has turned into a project of exactly the same proportions! The Alfisti one is still for sale through the owners club I think, could be a bargin there. You just missed one on ebay without running gear that went for £500.

They are great fun

bi22le

posted on 1/3/13 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by computid
quote:

Sounds great! How thick is it? Could it feasibly be used to carpet a car? I presume it's pretty hard wearing if you can make seat covers out of it.

its very thin. about 3mm thick. what colour do you need?

computid

posted on 3/3/13 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Hmm, possibly a bit thin. I'd need it in black, would it be possible to get a small sample of it? Happy to pay postage etc.

Oh and for the record the stuff used to trim the BAC Mono is "Microcare MC waterproof "suede""

[Edited on 3/3/13 by computid]

bi22le

posted on 3/3/13 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by computid
quote:

Hmm, possibly a bit thin. I'd need it in black, would it be possible to get a small sample of it? Happy to pay postage etc.

Oh and for the record the stuff used to trim the BAC Mono is "Microcare MC waterproof "suede""

[Edited on 3/3/13 by computid]

yeah ill grab a sample of the different blacks we have. we have several waterproof suade fabrics depending on application. i would say that they would be good for covering seats and ok for sides and floor as long as you dont want it padded and fluffy.

U2U me your address and approximate amount required and ill get you prices.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.