Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which family estate car?
jps

posted on 24/4/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Which family estate car?

Struggling to choose - so I thought i'd test the waters with you chaps!

With first baby due to arrive in a few weeks we are going to invest in a family car. I don't do massive mileages - probably 10-15k a year, although I intend that over the next few years holidays will be driving to European destinations - which will likely bump my miles up a little. I'm also thinking a big car will help with the odd 'locost' related task: collecting sets of wheels / towing it about once it is finished perhaps / etc.

At the moment i've shortlisted it to:
Skoda Octavia Estate - 1.6 Greenline
Ford Focus Edge Estate - 1.6TDCi
Kia Ceed Sportwagen - 1.6 CRDi

I'll be aiming to pick up a nearly new one - but they are all in the same ballpark price when new, and low mileage 12/62 models are out there for the taking by the looks of things...

What's the concensus?

[Edited on 24/4/13 by jps]

AndyW

posted on 24/4/13 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you get a 1 year old Kia, you new born will be 6 years old when the warranty runs out. That's worth a thought. What is the warranty like on the others??
jps

posted on 24/4/13 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
If you get a 1 year old Kia, you new born will be 6 years old when the warranty runs out. That's worth a thought. What is the warranty like on the others??

Yep, hence its on the list! Ford and Skoda are both 3yr/60k, I'm looking at 'nearly new' ones really so will negotiate for them to extend the warranties up to 3yr even if they are a few months old though...

MikeRJ

posted on 24/4/13 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't do big mileages why are you looking at the super economy common rail diesels? If you are planning on keeping it for a while, then there's far more to go wrong than with a petrol.
karlak

posted on 24/4/13 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
May not be an issue for you, but bear in mind Kia's 7 year warranty is upto 100K miles. Hyundai's is 5 year unlimited I understand.. (well so I have been told)

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

jps

posted on 24/4/13 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
If you don't do big mileages why are you looking at the super economy common rail diesels? If you are planning on keeping it for a while, then there's far more to go wrong than with a petrol.

I reckon they'll still be more economical - but I do need to do the sums properly...

britishtrident

posted on 24/4/13 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Much as hate diesels at 15k a year a a diesel makes more sense than petrol. A brand new Kia or Hyundai would be the way to go.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mitch2b

posted on 24/4/13 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
at the chris evans carfest last year, there was a main dealer with a brand new skoda octavia diesel vrs with all the bells for 18k otr,
if you go main dealers look at getting upto 20% of there list price ,

i had a 1,8t octavia few years ago, 35mpg average , and never spent a penny on it in the 3 yrs i had it

Mitch

tonym

posted on 24/4/13 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the Skoda. They have just announced the new model so the older 12 and 62 models will be good value now. On my second with no problems to date. The normal 1.6 diesel averages over 50mpg. Tried a Greenline but found it too high geared and so not so good to drive and not worth the extra few mpg IMO.
BigLee

posted on 24/4/13 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
I faced a similar dilema last weekend. Looked at Passats, Skodas and Mondeos. In the end I bought a Hyundai i40 Tourer. 1.7 diesel auto. I know its not as economical as the manual but I do too many miles to be bothered changing gear! It drove beautifully and had every toy you could ever need. 4 months old, 3k miles, remainder of 5 year warranty etc £16k. It'll probably have 160 000 miles by the time it hits 5 years old, but will still be under warranty. I got 54mpg on the test drive. I have the MX-5 weekends so a good balance

Lee

nick205

posted on 24/4/13 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Hard to argue with 5 and 7 year warranties, but the Skoda would be my preference. Depreciation should be better, it's a better place to sit, biggest boot, image etc. etc.

britishtrident

posted on 24/4/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Up here every every Skoda estate is a mini cab, the cab licensees get a special lease arrangement from the main stealer, not exactly good for the residual value.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Jon Ison

posted on 24/4/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Bit left field ?

Mrs just got a 12 plate qashqai, I can't stop driving it, great car n-tec spec, brimming with gadgets, sat nav, reverse camera, cruise the works.

Confused but excited.

posted on 24/4/13 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
My mate was given an Octavia, as a company car. He was well miffed until he'd had it a few weeks (he's a rep and does major milage), now he loves it.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

nick205

posted on 24/4/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Up here every every Skoda estate is a mini cab, the cab licensees get a special lease arrangement from the main stealer, not exactly good for the residual value.

Minicab of choice round our way tends to be a 7 seater; Vito, VW, Peugeot etc. The rest of them run all sorts from nearly new 5 Series to tatty old E Classes.

Ninehigh

posted on 24/4/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Minicab of choice round our way tends to be a 7 seater; Vito, VW, Peugeot etc. The rest of them run all sorts from nearly new 5 Series to tatty old E Classes.

There are reasons for this, Skodas are great for the money, them old E classes are damn reliable and the 7 seaters are wheelchair accessible (I know Warrington council discount licence fees for wheelchair accessible)

JC

posted on 24/4/13 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the skoda - we have a diesel vrs and it has been fab! Second he comment about haggling the dealers - 20% discount minimum!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 2/5/13 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Went with the Kia in the end, also test drove a Skoda Superb estate and would happily have had one of those but the missus thought it too big and shell be driving it most of the time...

It was the 7 year warranty that swung it, plus its a lot nicer to be in than the Octavia!

skippad

posted on 2/5/13 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
another vote for Skoda...ive had 2 Octavia diesel estates... THE best cars ive ever owned..
As Skoda says in advert...Simply Clever!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
EX01

posted on 2/5/13 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
I was in the same boat as you, I ended up with a 4.3l Lexus, best thing I ever did.
Sure the fuel is higher, but the maintenance is less than my old diesel smoker, it hasn’t gone wrong unlike my diesel smoker(s) and it will do more miles than my diesel smoker before it dies, cost the same to service it at Lexus than my old diesel smoker at an independent.

When that Audi sits 3 inches off my rear bumper you can dispose of him, and can beat the odd Impreza in a drag race if the mood takes you. I have more toys and things to play with than a BMW or Merc can dream of, heck it even blows cool air through the seat onto your nuts if you’re in the mood!

Shop around and you can have 2 V8s for the price of one small eco hatch as most people are afraid of the cost of ownership, I hope they dont find out to be honest its bloody great when you price it all up and compair.

The beauty of a build is not the build or the drive when it’s done, it’s the sneaking the funds slowly past the wife as she remains blissfully unaware!

ReMan

posted on 2/5/13 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
" it even blows cool air through the seat onto your nuts if you’re in the mood!"

Wanted Lexus

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Not Anumber

posted on 2/5/13 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
I'm with EX01 - if you aren't doing high mileages why not go for something older that will put a big grin on your face at the same time.

I have had an old E class Merc estate for several years now and it's hardly cost me a penny in parts. It had done most of it's depreciating by the time i got it and i just cant see the point of taking out a loan to replace it for the sake of a later registration.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.