Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how much fuel will i use on track?
daniel mason

posted on 4/5/13 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
how much fuel will i use on track?

ive got my first track day (afternoon,4 hours) at mallory this week and was wondering how much fuel im likely to need to take with me?
and roughly how much track time would you generally do in 4 hours? do you split it into say 20 mins on 20 mins off or just go out for maximum time? cheers

Mikef

posted on 4/5/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
I have only done a couple , with my Westfield , but have been to a few with my son and his Westfield. The main thing is not to over do it. Its very easy to just go out there and wack it round and round. I would certainly start of with perhaps 10 mins max ,come back in check the car over, especially brakes and tyres and pressures. Get back out for a bit longer , I personally would say 20 mins max, and gradually build up your speed , braking etc. Dont be tempted to stay out any longer. Decent break , let the brakes cool down , have a chat and a coffee , then do it again. Do keep an eye on the car especially the brakes and tyres and pressures. you would be surprised how much strain a track day can put on a car compared to giving it a bit of a blast on the road. Have a great day.

MikeF

Mikef

posted on 4/5/13 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry should have also said, that to start with we always used more fuel than we thought we would, I would estimate about 25% more than your normal consumption, could be more.
yellowcab

posted on 4/5/13 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Daniel when are you there? I'm only a couple of miles away

daniel mason

posted on 4/5/13 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
thanks mate!

daniel mason

posted on 4/5/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
friday afternoon oli! 1pm until 5pm! £99 and still spaces left

Stott

posted on 4/5/13 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I take 2 full gerry cans plus a full tank (about 3 gallon tank) and that does me to drive there (about 30 miles) do the track day (every session I'm allowed out in over a full day) and enough to get to a fuel station on the way home

So in summary about 55 litres does it for me, fuel consumption on track is horrific due to the constant revs.

scudderfish

posted on 4/5/13 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
If you get double digit MPG, you're not trying hard enough.
Custardpants

posted on 4/5/13 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
The best I have managed is about 10 litres in a 20 minute session. I would say I usually only get about six of these sessions in one day around checking tyre pressures and for loose bolts / chin wag, fitting an extra silencer / lunch.

Would also recommend at the start of the day keeping an eye on other cars from the pits to identify drivers to avoid before heading out - we had a Nissan GTR on his first trackday at Donington who kept missing his braking points, resulting in him overtaking people on corner entry, sometimes even on the wrong side.

loggyboy

posted on 4/5/13 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
My bro and I did a £50 tank in his MX5 over an open day at brands in the damp. The damp kept speeds down, but also kept tyre and brake wear down allowing us to run it almost constantly throughout the day relaying between the 2 of us.

Mistral Motorsport

mark chandler

posted on 4/5/13 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
I will do 75 litres in a open pit lane full day, fill your tank to 3/4 to make sure no fuel sloshes out on hard bends and a full 25litre jerry can.

Best to have a little to much than run out.

bi22le

posted on 4/5/13 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
You have a perfect run of the mile car. I would not worry about brakes unless you know some thing we don't. I wont know what tyres you have but if they have tread on them you should be fine. Fuel wise depends on how heavy your foot is. If this is your first track day then 50 litres is a good guess. How you take it there is up to you. I have never noticed the difference of full and empty. I do feel the difference of normal and high octane.

I think the key to you enjoying your day is none of the above. The best advice for new track day people is to enjoy and do what you want. Sounds silly but take the advice. The first track day I did I was doing 40 min sessions by the end on a OPL. I drive harder now and do anything from 15 to 35 mins depending on who and what is on track. If your doing OPL the key is timing. Go out as others are coming in. Notice when your loosing concentration and when you want to push.

I have set fastest laps normally after 10 laps on an empty track. My last track day had a fastest lap on the 19 lap! That's about 20 mins in. Most of that was spent chasing space.

Take your time and enjoy.

[Edited on 4/5/13 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Jon Ison

posted on 4/5/13 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
I always spend more on fuel than on the track day itself.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.