Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Structureal Engineers or roofers about? :)
Pdlewis

posted on 4/11/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Any Structureal Engineers or roofers about? :)

I know completely off topic but as always there is a fountain of knowledge in here

We are moving house shortly and looking to extend when we move in, the problem Im having is working out the roof, from the plan and photo below we want to square off the L share and put an extension where the table and chairs in approx 3x4m. the problems i see are:

1. The current flat roof looks like it falls towards the place where i want the extension
2. the current flat roof is attached to the neighbors house
3. We want to remove the 80% of the existing wall an replace with some sort of RSJ so the current kitchen will become one big room

I was reading that iff you have over 30% of your roof flat it makes it hard t0 get insurance and this would take us near the 30 bu as we only want to put 2 new walls in and the the room is quite deep (4m) im not sure we could support a pitch roof

Any comments advice welcome

Description
Description

Description
Description

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 4/11/13 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
<advert>
My cousin Jason @Burlens http://www.burlens.com/ should be able to point you in the right direction.
Depending on where you are (regs change between county apparently) he should be able to answer your question.
</advert>

Smokey mow

posted on 4/11/13 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pdlewis
im not sure we could support a pitch roof

Any comments advice welcome

Typically it's not the materials of construction of the roof which will be the determining factor but rather the imposed load which the roof is designed to carry (think weight of snow in the winter).

The materials of construction for a flat roof are very approximately 3/4 of the weight of a slate pitched roof (0.75KN/m2 compared to 1.0KN/m2) but because a flat roof can't shed the snow in winter the imposed load (and depth of snow build up) will be 50% greater than a pitched roof (1.5KN/m2 vs 1.0KN/m2)

If the original structure is in doubt there are other options to support the new roof without putting any load on the existing building, such as by using posts and beams or you could partially underpin the existing wall.

[Edited on 4/11/13 by Smokey mow]

iank

posted on 5/11/13 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
No help but that kitchen is a terrible layout as is, not surprised you want to change it!

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Pdlewis

posted on 5/11/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
yeah its one of those things, we liked the house and location so figured extending it would be fine

then the more I look at it and think about it without actually having access to the house yet the more complications I can see

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.