Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tintop starting issues
RickRick

posted on 29/11/13 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Tintop starting issues

My wifes freelander has issues with starting, seems to be worse when it's cold in the mornings. turn the key and it just clicks repeatedly, after a few goes it normaly starts.
my first guess is battery can't put out enough cranking amps any other suggestions

NigeEss

posted on 29/11/13 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
If it always starts after a few attempts then I'd be suspecting a sticking starter.
What year is it and is it diesel ? Sticking starters are often a sign of worn dual mass flywheels as the swarf4dust builds
up in the starter pinion assembly.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

RickRick

posted on 29/11/13 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
oh poo!
its an 02 and yes its diesel and 160k how do i go about checking for dmf wear? i've just changed the crank pulley due to it's rubber bit getting ripped in 2

Oh and it's an auto

[Edited on 29/11/13 by RickRick]

britishtrident

posted on 29/11/13 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Could be either a sticking starter (in which case removing stripping and cleaning usually works at least for a while) or a dead cell in the battery, there is also a chance it is a bad connection on either the smaller wire going the starter solenoid (not exactly unknown on ageing Rovers) or one of the main battery leads or earths.

If the symptoms have only appeared after the frosty weather started then a battery problem is more likely but it needs checked out with simple tests before buying a new battery. Most places that sell batteries can do a high rate discharge test but a simple DIY test is to check the battery voltage during a cold start, if the battery voltage starts out at over 12.7 volts then instantly drops to well below 9 volts when the starter is operated then it points.

With the engine running after a cold start the battery voltage should quickly reach 13.4 to 14.9 volts --- a Freelander will generally charge at about 14 to 14.4 volts and this shouldn't change much with loads such as head lamps and heater blower on or off.

[Edited on 29/11/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 29/11/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
DMF problems on Rover/BMW are almost unkown.

[/I]

RickRick

posted on 29/11/13 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
i think i'm just going to get a new battery as a matter of course, the current one looks like the cheapest of cheap brands, and it's been in the car before the 4 years we've owned it, so it won't be a bad idea, and i'll go find where the starter motor is and see if i can get it out and give it a clean up
Davegtst

posted on 29/11/13 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
As said before check the small wire on the starter first. It's just a crappy spade terminal that usually corrode and cause starting problems. Take it off, clean it up with some sandpaper then see how you get on.
britishtrident

posted on 29/11/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
i think i'm just going to get a new battery as a matter of course, the current one looks like the cheapest of cheap brands, and it's been in the car before the 4 years we've owned it, so it won't be a bad idea, and i'll go find where the starter motor is and see if i can get it out and give it a clean up

Cheap batteries generally only last at most a 1 year beyond their warranty --- Tayna batteries will do a good price on an Exide or Varta/Bosch. (Bosch now own Varta who made the batteries for U Boats)
The short battery code for this app is type 096 rated at 74AH 779 CAC
This link Varta Silver battery on Tayna has a 5 year warranty for £75

[/I]

NigeEss

posted on 29/11/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Breath a sigh of relief, auto's do not have DMF.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

RickRick

posted on 29/11/13 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
glad to hear that, had a water leak on it in the past between the end of the block and gearbox and that was tricky enough to get at.
adithorp

posted on 29/11/13 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
DMF problems on Rover/BMW are almost unkown.

PMSL! We see loads (one just yesterday).

OP, I'd guess battery given all the symptoms and circumstaces but check the trigger wire to the starter first.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.