Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: li ion v nicad
theconrodkid

posted on 9/5/14 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
li ion v nicad

my long suffering cordless drill has started to die ,i dont need something that will drill monster holes but i do want it to put pretty hefty screws into wood,so my question is....is a 10.8 volt li ion as powerfull as an 18 volt nicad ?

[Edited on 9/5/14 by theconrodkid]

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

emwmarine

posted on 9/5/14 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
my long suffering cordless drill has started to die ,i dont need something that will drill monster holes but i do want it to put pretty hefty screws into wood,so my question is....is a 10.8 volt li ion as powerfull as an 18 volt nicad ?

[Edited on 9/5/14 by theconrodkid]

They should also quote the ah output they provide.

When my black and decker 18v died I bit the bullet and spent 150 quid at screwfix on their bosch 18v li ion cordless. Really can't believe the difference. It was one tool that I think was worth the money.

Building a Dax Rush.

gremlin1234

posted on 9/5/14 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
NiMH was a great step forward from NiCad
Li ion at least as much again.

craig

posted on 9/5/14 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
An 18 volt battery will give you a lot more grunt, the lith ion stuff is very good. Stick with a bosch blue for reliability but ryobi make some decent kit too, i bought a ryobi twin pack last year and am very happy with it.
Wadders

posted on 9/5/14 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
If your driving loads of screws rather than drilling, you might want to consider an impact driver, quite a revelation they are

http://www.onlinepowertools.co.uk/prod/makita-btd146zbl-18v-lithium-ion-cordless-impact-driver-battery?utm_source=Google+Shopping&utm_medium= referral&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping&gclid=CKaCmJjEn74CFUfLtAod3VoAXA

JoelP

posted on 9/5/14 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
A 10.8v tool doesn't compare favorably to an 18v tool. My old dewalt 18v drill you could use to mix a bucket of plaster up. The 10.8v boschs I have now are lightweight. The type of battery has no bearing on the power of the motor.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 9/5/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
If your driving loads of screws rather than drilling, you might want to consider an impact driver, quite a revelation they are

http://www.onlinepowertools.co.uk/prod/makita-btd146zbl-18v-lithium-ion-cordless-impact-driver-battery?utm_source=Google+Shopping&utm_medium= referral&utm_campaign=Google+Shopping&gclid=CKaCmJjEn74CFUfLtAod3VoAXA

How different is this to using hammer mode on the drill?

garyo

posted on 9/5/14 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Completely different - the impacts are in a different plane - rotational impacts rather than 'down the z axis' which also means the screws don't 'cam out' as much because the impacts are so short/sharp rather than relying on the raw torque of the drill.
theconrodkid

posted on 9/5/14 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for the answers peeps,off to screwfix again int morning

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Andybarbet

posted on 9/5/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
http://m.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erp408kit-10-8v-1-3ah-li-ion-twin-pack-drill-impact-driver/30467?filtered=true

I got this erbauer pair, drill & impact driver with 2 batteries & fast charge for £99 at screwfix.

I would not be without the impact driver now, a friend used it when we built him a shed & decking, he went straight out & bought the same set.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

se7ensport

posted on 9/5/14 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Lion and brushless, if ypu have the cash nothing comes close to a milwaukee.

I have Makita impact driver and drill with 3 nicad batteries, my brother has the following drill, it outlasts my complete kit over any given day!

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2607-22

BigLee

posted on 10/5/14 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
A Li ion will run at full power until it just stops, rather than fading in the last 25%. You can also give them a quick 20 min part charge to finish a job, without damaging the 'memory effect' of a Ni cad. From a practical point of you, the lighter weight of a Li ion makes a big difference if you are doing a lot of work.
A mate of mine was used to his 18v black & decker Nicad, and took the wee about my lightweight Ryobi Li ion. He was taking apart some furniture and underestimating the torque on the Ryobi, gave it full trigger and hit himself hard in the face with the battery as it spun. Li ion all the way.

Lee

Irony

posted on 10/5/14 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
8 full time carpenters in our workshops. We provide cheapo 18 or 12v makita nicad drills. The chippies go out a buy their own li-ion versions! Easy maths
theconrodkid

posted on 10/5/14 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
went to screwfix and picked up a cheapy li ion for £60,2 batteries,2 year warranty and nearly as grunty as my old nicad without the weight

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.