Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear diffuser.
Tigerade

posted on 28/6/14 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Rear diffuser.

After reading the post about rear diffuser's and parachute effect I've decided to make one for my Tiger SuperSix.

Can anyone tell me what thickness of Aluminum people use.

Thanks.

[Edited on 28/6/14 by Tigerade]

mark chandler

posted on 28/6/14 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I made one today, did not bother with all the wings just a sheet of 2mm Ali chopped to size and put in a bend after the suspension mounts to kick it up at the rear, i have made a small louvre to pull air out just behind the diff, cannot say if it will do anything.
Matt21

posted on 28/6/14 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I used 1.5mm, its great for the job, not flimsy at all

use a thin stainless steel grinder disc to score it where you want the bends

coozer

posted on 28/6/14 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I used 1.5mm ali and left a gap between the bottom of the body to let air through the tunnel and over the diff.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Tigerade

posted on 28/6/14 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Spot on that Coozer, just what im after. How big is that and what have you used to fix it and space it from the chassis?
coozer

posted on 28/6/14 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
I measured it from seat mounting bolts on the floor, full width of the chassis, to the back of the body, added a couple inches so sticks out the back a bit.

At the front on mine it goes back to the bolts for the seats, about 4 inches back from the end of the floor, I used a thick bit of ali bar across there to smooth it out and if you look on the second pics a bracket each side bolted to the body and secured in the middle by the led fog light light via a U bracket.

The bend, which should be around 14 degrees for optimum effect, was put there to go past the fuel pump and clear everything.

I must add that it smooth the back end out and at speed you can really feel the effects of it, it improved the backend really good.

I was worried it was a bit low as I made sure before the bend it was flush back from the floor but it never caused any problems.

Here it is in action at Stoneliegh in 2012.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 28/6/14 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
Here you can see it going back to the seat bolts, had to trim the outside edges to clear the fiberglass body and a better pic of it painted and on the car.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Matt21

posted on 29/6/14 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Heres a few pics of mine

pretty similar to coozers, Mines fitted up to the body work though and held by some brackets i made that sit over the bottom chassis bars, and bolts in the 2 rear corners

Tigerade

posted on 29/6/14 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Can people post some more under side fixing pic's to give me some ideas for attaching, also how people have attached the rear section of the diffuser to the main body tub.

Thanks guys and great pic's.

coozer

posted on 29/6/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Bit clearer here, simple bits of ali at the sides bolted to the diffuser and the underneath of the body return. Held in the middle by another bit of ali bent in a U bolted again to the underside of the body and the diffuser, fog light is the bolted through he back to that.

You can just see the bit of ali across the front where the rear seat bolts fasten it all up. Thats it, stable at speed and really makes the back smooth and feel more planted.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Tigerade

posted on 29/6/14 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just out of interest be for I go and buy some aluminium sheet, what's the average price people are paying? Don't want to be getting ripped off for an off cut etc.
ste

posted on 29/6/14 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be looking at £30 for an off cut of 1.5mm 4'x4' sheet.
Matt21

posted on 30/6/14 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
I paid around £30 for a 8x4 sheet of 1.5mm, brand new

cant remember the exact price, but it was £117 for 2 8x4 1.5mm and 1 8x4 1mm, 2 6m lengths of flat ali and a 6m length of angle ali

thats from DW marshall in peterlee

Tigerade

posted on 12/7/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
WELL I have my aluminium sheet, all cut and bent etc ready to start fitting to my Tiger Super 6.
Will post some pics of progress, thanks again chaps for information.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.