Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SportKA MOT fail..end of life thoughts
tegwin

posted on 15/9/14 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
SportKA MOT fail..end of life thoughts

Had a call from my sister who is rather upset that her KA sport has failed its MOT so badly they won't allow it back on the road. I trust the garages judgement.

They recon mechanically its perfect but the body is FUBAR. It's not really worth the £700 they are quoting to patch it up for another year.

I had the head rebuilt with new camshafts and valves a couple of years ago plus new head gasket etc so the engine is solid. Has leather interior etc.

not really sure what to suggest my sister does with it...

If I were at home I would break it for parts and scrap the remains but I can't do that.... The garge recons he can pull some useful bits off it and then scrap it himself..

Any thoughts on what to do with the car to minimise losses?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mcerd1

posted on 15/9/14 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
sell it as donor for a fiesta based kit ?

-

SCAR

posted on 15/9/14 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Garage quotes you £700 to repair but could probably do it at cost for £200, this will be mostly labour so a home mechanic could do it for less. I would get a quote for repair from elsewhere before scrapping it or letting the garage have it. Try advertising it as a good runner for spares or repair with the list of mot failure points.
I took my father in laws car for an mot with the abs light on. The garage had it for 10 days before eventually saying the ecu had gone and it was therefore uneconomic to repair and best to scrap it. I fixed it myself by replacing a £20 wheel sensor, 30 minutes work. That was nearly 2 years ago and the car is still going without any further problems. From my experience you will seldom get practical, impartial or accurate advice from a garage.

tegwin

posted on 15/9/14 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
That is very true although this particular car is made of poo instead of metal....

I probably could patch it up in a weekend but I don't live at home anymore....hmmm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

clairetoo

posted on 15/9/14 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

The garge recons he can pull some useful bits off it and then scrap it himself..

That bit makes me very suspicious..........I'd want to have a good look at the car before making a decision .

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

loggyboy

posted on 15/9/14 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
What's the acctual fail list?
Unless you have space and want to spend time breaking it , stick it on ebay and you should see a half decent return. Copy the failure sheet on the listing but don't mention the £700 quote!

[Edited on 15-9-14 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 15/9/14 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine sold a first gen Vauxhall Corsa with it's front stoved in for a few hundred quid, as with yours it was an easy fix if you knew what you were doing and could get the parts cheap.
loggyboy

posted on 15/9/14 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Where's the car located?

Mistral Motorsport

tegwin

posted on 15/9/14 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Not seen the fail list. Just waiting for the chap at the garage to give me a call.

Its in Malvern, Worcestershire.

Edwardo

posted on 15/9/14 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I had a bog standard KA (04 plate) until last month when exactly the same thing happened. Engine and box was mint and had just had literally just had a new clutch, but had 2 pages of floor/sill corrosion failures.

I put it on Ebay- was genuine and upfront about everything and a garage owner bought it for nearly £400 which was quite a surprise. Here is the link:-

2004 1.3 Ford Ka MOT Fail SPARES OR REPAIRS Great Engine - New Clutch - Taxed

You should have no worries shifting your Sisters if it’s the SportKa model.

Cheers
Tony

tegwin

posted on 15/9/14 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Wow thats quite a price!

Just had a chat with the garage and apparently its rotten front and rear where the subframes mount plus one side up to the rear top strut mount. Mental on a 10 year old car...

I think ebaying it might be the best option to be honest, Worth a try...the garage guy recons we might get £150-£200 as a breaker/scrap....

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 15/9/14 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Does she like the car if so get it fixed what are you going to buy with a years mot for £700. .?
tegwin

posted on 15/9/14 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Fair point.... but I think for £700-£1000 you could find something pretty much rust free which would last for a few years....

her car, her choice..will see what she wants to do :p

russbost

posted on 15/9/14 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
£700 sounds like one helluva lot of welding! I have a mate with a garage in Bromsgrove if you want a second (genuine) opinion.

At £50 an hour thats 14 hours of welding - I can't recall many cars being that bad even in the days when everything went rusty! I would defo recommend she gets another quote if at all interested in keeping the car.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dhutch

posted on 16/9/14 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
Just had a chat with the garage and apparently its rotten front and rear where the subframes mount plus one side up to the rear top strut mount. Mental on a 10 year old car...

Indeed, considering I drive a 19yo car which as yet has only really failed on rubber/gator related issues, no welding.

That said, I had a mate with a similar vintage Fiesta and compared to the 306 I had at the time, it was going through left right an center!

Daniel

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/9/14 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

If I were at home I would break it for parts and scrap the remains but I can't do that.... The garge recons he can pull some useful bits off it and then scrap it himself..

ha A friend has just bought a Golf for £1600 and got just £200 trade in for his Saab as the garage said they'd just scrap the it.

He's just seen the Saab now sitting in the garage forecourt advertised for £1000!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 16/9/14 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Ka's do rust really bad. The wifes 08 is so bad around the rear window wiper it will probaly fall in next year. That said its got none of the french electrical gremlins.
mcerd1

posted on 16/9/14 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Ford Ka's do rust really bad. The wifes 08 is so bad around the rear window wiper it will probaly fall in next year.

that's because any kind of rust proofing would have cost extra and it was supposed to be the cheapest new car you could buy....

I know the sportKA isn't quite the same as the bog std. model but I don't think they were any better protected

the focus's the same age had the fancy modern rust proofing (zinc based, but I wouldn't call it galvanized) - mine had hardly any rust on the shell despite 135k and 12 years of hard use (6.5 years of that was me, and I only washed it 4 times...)

[Edited on 16/9/2014 by mcerd1]

[Edited on 16/9/2014 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.