Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help please with eBay bidding
Russell

posted on 18/9/14 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Help please with eBay bidding

I saw a car part on eBay that I want. It was listed as an auction with 99p start and £100 buy it now. I was tempted with the buy it now but £100 was the absolute maximum I wanted to pay so instead I bid £100 in the hope I would get it for less. I'm not that fussed if I'm outbid, another one will come along eventually...

Anyway, my bid was done and I'm sure I saw the listing showing 1 bid at 99p a few days ago, as I would expect. I looked tonight and it's still my 1 bid but now that bid is £100

I've been an eBay user for 9 years with 500+ transactions and I thought I understood how bidding works. Surely for a 99p start auction with 1 bid of £100 the listing should show 1 bid with the price at 99p? Or am I wrong?

I'm a bilingual illiterate. I can't read in two languages.

tul214

posted on 18/9/14 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Someone has probably thought the same as you but because you bid £100 first, you are the winning bidder.

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Russell

posted on 18/9/14 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
But there's only one bid and it's mine.

tul214

posted on 18/9/14 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmm, not sure? Is there a 'helpline' you can contact?

1.6 Raw Super6 sold

Wadders

posted on 18/9/14 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if it shows as £100 from someone else's computer? U2u me the item number and I'll have a look for you.
Dusty

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
You didn't press the buy it now button did you rather than the bid button. Contact ebay and tell then about it.
Russell

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
I wonder if it shows as £100 from someone else's computer? U2u me the item number and I'll have a look for you.

Thanks! U2U sent

loggyboy

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
If he put a 100 reserve on it, and you bid 100, the auction will automatically jump to the reserve amount.

Mistral Motorsport

Russell

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
It's bloody difficult to find anywhere on eBay to report a general issue with an item. I have emailed them but still waiting for a reply.

I guess the worst case is I end up paying £100 for the thing, which is what I was prepared to pay up to anyway but as a matter of principle I don't like feeling I've been stitched up by eBay. Withdrawing a bid looks like a palaver...

Wadders

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yes it's showing at £100 with one bid.
pekwah1

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
i thought retracting a bid was quite easy, there's options for "entered in error" and stuff like that isn't there?
Russell

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
OK maybe I'm a muppet and there was a £100 reserve on it but I'm sure there wasn't. Ho Hum and thanks for the replies guys, I'll trouble you no more.

slingshot2000

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Russell
I saw a car part on eBay that I want. It was listed as an auction OR £100 buy it now. I was tempted with the buy it now but £100 was the absolute maximum I wanted to pay so instead I bid £100 in the hope I would get it for less. I'm not that fussed if I'm outbid, another one will come along eventually...

Anyway, my bid was done and I'm sure I saw the listing showing 1 bid at 99p a few days ago, as I would expect. I looked tonight and it's still my 1 bid but now that bid is £100

I've been an eBay user for 9 years with 500+ transactions and I thought I understood how bidding works. Surely for a 99p start auction with 1 bid of £100 the listing should show 1 bid with the price at 99p? Or am I wrong?

Wadders

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Mhh looks likely Loggyboy's theory was right on the money. Guessing you missed it had a reserve on it.

Copied from ebay:
"If your maximum bid is the first to meet or exceed the reserve price, the effective bid displayed will automatically be raised to the reserve price."

Originally posted by Russell
OK maybe I'm a muppet and there was a £100 reserve on it but I'm sure there wasn't. Ho Hum and thanks for the replies guys, I'll trouble you no more.

ReMan

posted on 18/9/14 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
retracting a bid is easy enough.
You will burn in Ebays hell for it and be branded a bad person but its easy.
Just copy the item number then type retract bid in the help search and it'l get you where you need to be

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

r1_pete

posted on 19/9/14 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Yes retracting is easy, I don't know whether you get penalised for it, but I've done it several times when I've been outbid, then the higher shill (sp) bid has been retracted and one a quid or so less than my max has been entered....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 19/9/14 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
£100 reserve/ £100 buy it now. As an experienced ebay user you'll know that if you bid over the reserve that's where the bid goes to. You can retract your bid as the wrong amount then re-bid.

Or contact the seller, offer what he'd get out of ebay without all the ££££££'s worth of auction fees.

dhutch

posted on 19/9/14 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
£100 reserve/ £100 buy it now.

That would be quite an odd way to list an item, however.

franky

posted on 19/9/14 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dhutch
quote:
Originally posted by franky
£100 reserve/ £100 buy it now.

That would be quite an odd way to list an item, however.

yes, the most expensive way!

Daddylonglegs

posted on 19/9/14 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
As long as the auction isn't soon finishing, just retract the bid, say "wrong amount" or similar and submit it. I've had to do that a couple of times and it works fine. You won't get any bad feedback from the seller because you won't be in a transaction with them

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.