Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Will resin damage/stick....
JC

posted on 25/9/14 at 04:08 AM Reply With Quote
Will resin damage/stick....

Hi all,

I am about to make my aero screens for my midi. I have an old motorbike screen. My plan is simple - apply resin to the inside, add cloth, allow to cure, remove, repeat! This will give me the 2 bubble screens I need! You can see the screen I am using here:
[img] Description
Description
[/img]

Will the fibreglass resin (cheapy stuff from local auto factors) damage/attack the screen and prevent me making the second screen? If so, my plan is to tape the inside of the screen with packing tape before the first moulding. Any thoughts or suggestions will be welcomed!!!

Thanks. Jc

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
luke2152

posted on 25/9/14 at 04:45 AM Reply With Quote
I think it will stick to the screen too well to get off. You need some sort of antistick
Talon Motorsport

posted on 25/9/14 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
You need to use release wax (stuff in the red and blue tin most common) on the inside of the bike screen first which you apply with a sponge allow to 'haze dry' lightly polish then add another layer and repeat, you then need to use a thin coat of the blue pva release agent over the wax and allow that to dry. You are then ready to start with the resign. Don't use tape as a barrier it will just become one awful rough mess very quickly!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
FuryRebuild

posted on 25/9/14 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with talon - lots of wax, lots of polishing, and then a release agent. Blue PVA is a good one, and it's best sprayed if you want to get a shiny surface. If you paint it on, the brush-strokes will appear in your part. An alternative I sometimes use is a chemical release agent. wipe on with a lint-free cloth, buff and let it set. Repeat. Each chemical release agent has its own regime.

Also, I would look to put a gel-coat on first before you lay the cloth into the back. You can polish gel-coat and you can't polish raw glass. It doesn't look especially aesthetically pleasing.

M

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

40inches

posted on 25/9/14 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
If you are wanting an exact replica, why don't you buy another screen and spray them the colour you want?

FuryRebuild

posted on 25/9/14 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
40inches - now that makes way more sense, and way less faff.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

JC

posted on 25/9/14 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions - the screen came from an auto jumble and I am not sure what it came off!! Also, I want a return on it to attach it to the scuttle!
FuryRebuild

posted on 25/9/14 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
what you need to do is take a mould from the screen, then make two replicas of it. If the screen is flexible, exercise caution becuase the shape on your bench when you make the mould may well be slightly different to how it is when bolted down.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

JC

posted on 26/9/14 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks

I appreciate the 'proper' way of doing it would be to make a mould! However, as the finished panel will be painted, if the surface isn't perfect, I'm not too worried. I was really looking for a Locost way of doing it - time and hard work are free

Has anyone tried the parcel tape approach - from other sources I see a number of people saying it works, but not many who say they have done it!

stevebubs

posted on 26/9/14 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
If using tape, the result will vary depending on the quality of the tape - if it allows resin to seep through then it won't work...

I've always waxed and had no issues.....

[Edited on 26/9/14 by stevebubs]

FuryRebuild

posted on 26/9/14 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I've not seen anyone get by with packing tape - I'm not sure what release agent is left on that, and all it takes is a mistake that means you don't have an edge properly stuck down and you have a lump.

I honestly think you'll spend more time and effort fettling a part than making a mould and cracking out two quite clean parts. In my limited experience, I spend all the time on the mould - any imperfection you have there is transferred to the part.

If you're looking at halfords prices for what you need, then this stuff is way off the mark price-wise for this job, and the resins are also not designed for part/mould making. Repair resins are much thicker and the catalyst far more aggressive. You wouldn't have enough time to lay it out and get the bubbles out. check out east coast fibreglass supplies; they're experts in this and the price for 5 msq of 450CSM, some gel-coat, resin and PVA will surprise you. They may even do kits for you to get started.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/9/14 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
remember to the heat generated during curing can melt the glue on tape and distort the plastic screen. I've been through all this and it's very annoying
FuryRebuild

posted on 26/9/14 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy makes a point. I often observe cure temps of 70C and above.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

The Black Flash

posted on 28/9/14 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FuryRebuild
I've not seen anyone get by with packing tape - I'm not sure what release agent is left on that, and all it takes is a mistake that means you don't have an edge properly stuck down and you have a lump.

I honestly think you'll spend more time and effort fettling a part than making a mould and cracking out two quite clean parts. In my limited experience, I spend all the time on the mould - any imperfection you have there is transferred to the part.

If you're looking at halfords prices for what you need, then this stuff is way off the mark price-wise for this job, and the resins are also not designed for part/mould making. Repair resins are much thicker and the catalyst far more aggressive. You wouldn't have enough time to lay it out and get the bubbles out. check out east coast fibreglass supplies; they're experts in this and the price for 5 msq of 450CSM, some gel-coat, resin and PVA will surprise you. They may even do kits for you to get started.

^^^ All of that.
Making a mould sounds a bit scary and a bit of a faff, and I tried to avoid it when making my bonnet bulge. But you know what? It really is the easiest way in the long run, and gives the best finish as well, plus you can always make replacement parts in future. I ended up making one after trying various other things, and it really wasn't hard

I used honey wax release agent which did the job fine. Cover the screen with that, take a mould, finish the inside nice and smooth, make parts.

I have used packing tape but you don't get a good finish. It does prevent things sticking though.

JC

posted on 1/10/14 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
OK, so I read all the advice and then gave it a go - with tape that is! Working on the basis that I can always make a mould from the other side! It worked really well and the product looks good - it will need a gentle rub down and some fill-primer but overall I am pleased!

screen
screen

The original screen.

Taped up
Taped up

Taped Up ready to mould

in mould
in mould

Layering up the cloth

untrimmed
untrimmed

As it came out of the mould ready to trim!

Final product picture to follow!

FuryRebuild

posted on 2/10/14 at 06:40 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations. Your journey to the dark side has begun.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/10/14 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
well done, looks a decent finish

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.